For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Clearcoat spray gun?

Discussion in 'Open Bar!' started by Dimitris, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Dimitris

Dimitris Mac-Valve Maestro! Very Likeable!

Greetings to everybody,
    Didn't knew where to post this Q

I'm looking for a decent but not expensive spray gun for clear coat. Won't be using it on daily basis but need to have a nice workflow and not cause any problems with the outcome.
    There's a bunch of them out there but I don't have any experience with them...:cool:

Can someone point me to the right direction? Or point me in a 'equipment for sale' topic to get an idea?

I'd like to protect artworks from any damage it may occur.
    Thanks!
    jord001 likes this.
  2. huskystafford

huskystafford Needle chucking Ninja Very Likeable!

Robbyrockett2 and jord001 like this.
  3. Dimitris

helmets, plastic parts of motorcycles, alu panels (max dimension 100x70cm).
    stuff like this, no cars or such large objects.
    My compressor? IDK how powerful it is, there's a black tag on it but there's an engraved text which can't be seen cause it's gloss black. I just painted it white and I'll wet sand it to see if there's some reference. The only thing I found written on another tag is:
    50 Litres - 1,5 kW - 230V - 50 Hz - 1300 W - 2850 m/l - 50L/8 bar.

I use it with the LPH-80 and I don't have any problems with that. Hope that's helpful
    jord001 likes this.
  4. Dimitris

5. huskystafford

LPH-80 is mini gun right?

LPH-80 HVLP miniature center post spray gun is ideal for large backgrounds, spot repair, blending, shading and touch-up. Spray patterns ranging from 1.6 inch round pattern to a full 5.5 inch fan pattern. Low operating air pressure and low 1.8 CFM allow the LPH80 to be run with small air compressor, perfect for mobile repair.

Robby would know. Hm need to check some thread when we discussed about that...
    Dimitris, doc1, jord001 and 1 other person like this.
  6. huskystafford

can't find it, but I know we talk about this stuff...
    Dimitris and jord001 like this.
  7. Dimitris

I'm still searching...
    Saw the vid from gunman using and talking about the ani. Very nice price too. Thanks husky for the info!
    jord001 and huskystafford like this.
  8. Leakyvalve

Leakyvalve Mac-Valve Maestro! Very Likeable!

I have the ANI and the only thing that throws you off is the fan pattern is pretty narrow.
    The 1.2mm LPH80 fits your needs pretty nice. What size tip are you using now?
    Also take a look at the LPH300. It's physically smaller than the LPH400, yet has all the benefits of the Iwata LV tip designs.
  9. SiRoxx

SiRoxx Party Boy UK Style Very Likeable!

I would think that the ANI would be fine if your compressor runs another gun. I don’t think it’s HVLP, so the volume of air isn’t so high. Again I would think the fan pattern is big enough for Helmets and Motorcycle tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  10. Vladimir

Vladimir Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

You will not have normal work with full size HVLP gun with your compressor.

If I were you, I'd look at Iwata W-101 series or Optima 650 LVLP (Germany). Tip size 1.4 mm. These are not hell expensive, but great guns for the price. At us I can have Optima for acceptable price, so you're in Greece may have more or less the same, I think. And W-101 are not expensive at all.
    Or maybe something midsize from Walmec (Italy), as they're italian, your local price should be also fine.
  11. kjart

kjart Triple Actioner

be sure it has 1.4 needle ,,you'll get a better flow ,, i would go for a larger hvlp with 0,5L color cup, you get more material on the surface and don't have to refill the color cup if you spray larger areas,,, i have used cheap guns too,, if cleaned and looked after they work very well too,, nowadays i use a Sagola 4500 for clearcoat,
  12. jord001

jord001 Air-Valve Autobot!

I'd go for another lph80 in a larger setup if it's in your budget.

Lee
    Dimitris and Leakyvalve like this.
  13. Dimitris

@Leakyvalve it's the 1.2 setup but it doesn't pleases me with the clear coat. I think it works better with paint...or maybe that's just me! :D. You said narrow, r u talking about the width or the height?
    @Vladimir The ani is a full HVLP spray gun? isn't it a minigun like the lph-80? I'm confused...:confused:
    @kjart I don't think I'll be using 0.5l of anything to get such coverage. Besides my compressor is too small for those guns. I tried to primer a MDF board once with a 1.8 gun and noticed right away it was struggling. I'll check out walmec you mentioned, thanks!
    @jord001 I'd love to get one more lph-80 and with some more cheese I'd go get a W-400 or a devilibiss (waiting for jack-pot...)
    If I managed to make a second comission I'll try!
    My odds are leaning towards the ani for now.
    jord001 likes this.
  14. SiRoxx

There’s a couple of different ANI Guns. One is a full spray gun, the other is a mini gun. If you’re concerned about the power of your compressor I’d avoid HVLP. By nature they require a lot more Volume, so would need a bigger compressor. The Gunman has several top 10 videos on his Youtube channel that would be worth watching. He includes really good value guns, not just the expensive ones.

15. SiRoxx

Here is a link to the ANI page of Spray Guns Direct. I believe the F150 is a full size gun and the R150 is the mini.
    https://www.spraygunsdirect.co.uk/index.php/brands/a-n-i.html
    And a link to one of The Gunman top 10 videos.

And the ANI videos

Hopefully something in here helps.

Dimitris, doc1 and jord001 like this.
  16. Dimitris

Thanks @SiRoxx . Husky suggested the Ani R150. Nice price, good reviews. Took a tour about it at youtube from various users, didn't hear much complaining about it. It's a minigun which normally will be able to work properly with my compressor.
    I trust you guys a lot. And husky has helped me a lot with graphic design issues in the past. Thanks for the vids SiRoxx! :thumbsup:
    SiRoxx and jord001 like this.
  17. Vladimir

Vladimir Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

Any. HVLP - high volume low pressure. Your compressor doesn't produce high volume of the air consumed by any full size HVLP gun.
    One of the compressors I have is similar to yours and only HVLP gun it can normally feed is SATA MiniJet4, I beleive lph-80 consumes close volume of air to it.
    And The Gunman's link you already have:)
  18. Robbyrockett2

Robbyrockett2 Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

ANI r150 is a mini hvlp gun....but it does consume roughly double (3.6cfm) the air of an lph-80(1.8cfm). So will your compressor also run it....a 1500w 50l compressor should put out 7-9 cfm ish, so it should handle it easily.
    Am i correct in assuming you have an lph-80 right now?

You are correct that the 1.2 will work better for paint, in fact that is basically a primer gun when you are talking mini guns. Equal to running a 1.6 or 1.8 nozzle on a full size gun.

Get 1.0 or better yet .8 tipset for your lph-80 and you will have one of the best minigun clear coating setups available on the market, perfect for your intended use.
    The mis-conception is that a 1.2 mini gun is gonna be close to a 1.2 or 1.3 full size gun and so thats what you should clear with, this is not the case , a 1.2 full size is a very very fine sprayer, 1.2 in a mini is a primer dump gun.

R150 seems like a good option if you dont have the lph or if you would rather have two guns. It would cost about the same or more as the new tipset for an lph80.

Cheapo lph50 knockoffs also work very well in .5 or .6.....the pattern widths dont increase so the ones with larger nozzles really suck. These might be a bit too small for the largest panel sizes you mention though.
    jord001 and doc1 like this.
  19. Dimitris

Thanks for the reply @Robbyrocket, yeah got the lph-80 with 1.2. I should've asked about info but had it low price and picked it up.
    I sprayed with a cheap mini-gun 0.6 and it's as you wrote, a mini primer gun.:thumbsup:
    I didn't want to clear-coat with it and bought the ani with a 1.0 just for clearcoat. Probably later I'll buy a 0.8? setup for the lph.
    The compressor doesn't have any reference about 'cfm' anywhere and don't know if it's able to handle a big gun.
    what are the differences between lph 50 & 80?
    jord001 and Robbyrockett2 like this.
  20. Robbyrockett2

Robbyrockett2 Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

Your compressor would likely not handle a big gun, except very cheap ones. Most run around 10cfm ,with a compressor running 9 or 10 it will struggle a lot, you try to come close to double what the gun needs.
    The knockoff .6 i can clear with just takes some tuning on the trigger stop and pressure. They just only work for very small stuff like a helmet.
    MMM, you might be pretty well setup.....Minis arent as sensitive to tip size so a 1.0 is a good all around gun. You can primer base and clear with it.
    A .8 does make clear a bit easier.
    Ideally for minis
    1.2 primer
    1.0 base
    .8 clear
    But some prefer the 1.0 for clear as well.....so.. see what you like i guess. Im slow, so i slightly prefer the .8
    I cant clear for crap with a 1.2 mini.... way too much paint in too small a pattern.

The main difference between the 50 and 80 are that the 50 requires a different aircap for each nozzle size. While the 80 has a couple caps that fit all the nozzles. I prefer the 50 for its side mounted cup which means you can spray upward onto ceilings and the bottoms of rocker panels. Supposedly the 80 sprays better.....I dont see it.
    The nozzles and such actually interchange between the two.
    jord001, HellBird, SiRoxx and 2 others like this.