Clueless

H

HadezToston

Hello all I am new to airbrushing and I bought books and watch videos online and can't get it right. I do my dots and lines and still working the dager stroke. I am getting frustrated mmy art looks horrible. Any advice... I refuse to give up on this. Also anyone in the San Antonio area will to teach?

I am currently using a Paasche VL with a 3 needle and tip combo and masters tc 20 compressor with createx opaque paint. I am set at 40 PSI. I will send you an example of what my art has looked like

I can't figure out how to properly highlight and shades things so they look 3d. Currently they all look flat

My art work is posted on the galleries please feel free to give some comments.

Everyones art starts out flat and lifeless. Ill take a look at the gallery.. my early art looks like a 5 year old did it

Thank y0u Nada, any advice is welcomed good bad or anything..

I don't mean any rudeness when i say this. .... but what is your pencil drawing like. .... what experience do you have in other mediums..... airbrushing is an art form and the airbrush itself is just a tool. Its no substitute for artistic talent or knowledge . Is a long winding and very steep path, but keep on it and you can only get better my friend

I don't have any artistic talent for drawing. However I pick things up pretty fast. I have no expierence with any other media unless you count wood working.... I just need some pointers

everything you should be doing for practice you can find here : https://www.youtube.com/user/airbrushtutor/videos
Mitch aka AirbrushTutor shows you all the basic and even more advance thing you need to know .
Not every one who picks up an airbrush has an art back ground , It does help but not needed to start learning.
Mainly you are putting the cart in front of the horse .
Have you did 10,000 dots and dagger strokes yet?
those are the basics you need to work on the most to get the muscle memory for making good art.
Next only use a stencil for getting a ghost of an image on the page , then use your airbrush to paint the actual picture with out the stencil around it.
Stencil are not cheating it is just another tool to make life easier .

Thank you for the advice, I have done dots lines and dagger strokes but not close to 10,000. I will keep at it it get easier each day.. however it does get boring just doing lines dots and dagger strokes. Looking for other things to mix it up a bit

Thank you for the advice, I have done dots lines and dagger strokes but not close to 10,000. I will keep at it it get easier each day.. however it does get boring just doing lines dots and dagger strokes. Looking for other things to mix it up a bit
KISS Keep it simple stupid ... great moto. start with just a plain off skull . no back ground no foreground just a simple skull.
I too tried to do more then my skill were when I first started .

Hi from the Uk Hadez!

First of all, don't be frustrated, we've all been there it's part of the process of learning. I have no art background so when it comes to getting depth and life into my pictures I found finding a good ref crucial. Then really studying it. Don't look at it as a whole picture but break it down into shades. In simple terms, (which is all I know I'm no expert lol) usually the closest thing being the brightest and more detailed, the middle ground less detailed a bit darker, and the background little detail (or out of focus) and darker)

Don't make it too complicated to start out. Find a fairly simple pic of say a skull. Then stop looking at it as a skull and just a collection of shapes. If you think that shape as basically being a ball, and look at tutorials of how to paint/draw a 3d ball (youtube) then you will see it's all about choosing a light source -where is your light coming from, what will it hit first. The curve of the ball that is nearest to the light - that will be your brightest spot, as the ball curves away from the light it will gradually get darker, until it is farthest away and that will be your darkest area of shading. Then when adding the features, the further into the skull holes for eyes nose etc go the darker they become as there will be no light.

So looking at the skull in layers, do the dark layer first (there are times you may want to work light to dark, but in this case don't go too dark, it's very easy to do, you can always go back and darken things up later if needed, it's not so easy to lighten things up again), probably eyes nose, inside of mouth maybe, then the next layer farthest away from the light, and gradually alter the shades with each layer of the middle ground until you get to the brightest spot in the foreground, where you may not even use any paint at all. I'm sure there are many vids who can explain it all much better than me Lol!

Keep doing the exercises (I still do to warm up) to build muscle memory, and develop freehand skills, and I would suggest playing with your air/paint ratio and reduce enough that you can good paint flow at much lower pressure. The lower the pressure the more control you will have, and less overspray. I am anywhere between 10 and 20 psi depending on what I'm doing, (detail work or areas of fades, shading etc) and many go down to a mere puff of air at 5. You will have to make more passes to build colour density, but be able to do much more fine detail.

Like Mr Micron said go to the Videos and watch them Theres alot to learn and sometimes it takes more then a few trys before you get it right and then keep doing it til your comfee with doing it then go to the next thing and do it the same way.It's a learning process
you will get it just keep trying

Back