Cm-sb Issue

Yes MacD makes it look easy, so do all the masters around here, but you have to remember they all started in the same place, having the exact same issues.
No you cant produce work the same as any of the masters here........... yet !

When you learnt to drive you didnt jump straight into a F1 race car and expect to drive like Senna, or when you started cooking, i'm sure your first dish wasnt much more than beans on toast lol...... embrace the journey,

Working bigger is a great idea, bring out the HP-C and just go for it, the HP-C will not be quiet as precious with the paint and working bigger you'll be able to up the pressure a little to get good flow. Working bigger is easier because all the detail bits are bigger too.

Check your printer settings, you should be able to do a 'banner' print, then stick all the A4's together to enable you to transfer to the A3 / A2

My first meal probably was beans on toast or egg on toast lol
I cook a mean curry now though!!!
I'll check banner settings on my printer thanks, definitely going to start working bigger because its a killer doing small lines with the micron. In all fairness to me i have fairly good trigger control with it already but its following lines i'm a bit rubbish, my aim is still fairly appalling.

Happened to me last night, changed the nozzle and perfect! 10mins later same thing! Gave up for the night, I’m sure it’s a cleaning issue like a speck of pigment, I find spraying alcohol through it can help but didn’t last night :(
I think it’s best to have a spare head or gun for these situations so you can fix it when not painting

Now that makes me feel a touch better haha, just a touch frustrating.

. . . . i have fairly good trigger control with it already but its following lines i'm a bit rubbish, my aim is still fairly appalling.

There's your problem . . the lines are a guide, you are concerntrating to hard on following it exactly. I use to do the same thing, once i realised they were a guide i got on a lot better.

Finally we find out he is just a mortal like the rest of us :)

we just need to remind ourselves of that occasionally :)

There's your problem . . the lines are a guide, you are concerntrating to hard on following it exactly. I use to do the same thing, once i realised they were a guide i got on a lot better.

we just need to remind ourselves of that occasionally :)

100% i’m trying to be too precise.
Going to work out how to scale up to a3 and go from there again.
Tomorrow is another day, will sleep on it and try again.

If your ab's seals can take it you can use acrylic lacquer thinners by first soaking then letting a few cup fulls through the ab. These thinners are a strong solvent and even slightly abrasive. That's why car painters use these paints rather than water based as they are basically self cleaning. Acetone (nail polish remover) will break the paint down faster but may be too aggressive with the seals but may be ok to soak the nozzle in.
Using water based paints I flush with a light mixture of ab cleaner and water every colour change and I never allow paint to stay in the cup for any length of time. They do take more work it seems but the other benefits are worth it and once you dial them in they spray just as well.
If I was using a micron I'd be using a paint filter/strainer as well, even with a new bottle of paint ;)

As for size, if you are still on the learning curve, even for smaller pieces it's good to use a bigger ab and learn to detail with it. This make your paintings look better or more consistent and you don't end up having a 'soft' base painting with scratchy/tight details that don't really blend in. With practice you'd be surprised how tight you can get with the right air pressure and paint mix. I've seen artists like Javier Soto use a .5mm for the majority of the work stepping down to the micron only for the very finest of details and with great control.

Doing bigger pieces will bring back the fun, if you don't have a projector you can do the multiple sheet and tape trick or for some drawing practice you can use the grid system for more of a challenge and it trains your visual acuity to see things as they are :)

I need more info to accurately take a stab at figuring out how to fix the boo boo. I read it is "like the needle is not seated correctly", but am not sure what that means about how it is actually spraying. It the spray starting and stopping? Is it not starting at about the same point in trigger movement? Is it not stopping when you let off the trigger? A quick pict of a few spray tests might not hurt...

One of the hardest things to do as newbie, is to just paint. We always think there is something "wrong" with the brush... at which point we start taking things apart, and creating problems where there was nothing more than a lack of familiarity before. Yes, it is very frustrating, but it is all experience being built upon.

I need more info to accurately take a stab at figuring out how to fix the boo boo. I read it is "like the needle is not seated correctly", but am not sure what that means about how it is actually spraying. It the spray starting and stopping? Is it not starting at about the same point in trigger movement? Is it not stopping when you let off the trigger? A quick pict of a few spray tests might not hurt...

One of the hardest things to do as newbie, is to just paint. We always think there is something "wrong" with the brush... at which point we start taking things apart, and creating problems where there was nothing more than a lack of familiarity before. Yes, it is very frustrating, but it is all experience being built upon.

It was almost like the needle wasn’t through the nozzle enough, like something was stopping it pushing all the way through.
I’m not sure how i corrected it to be honest, i just soaked the nozzle then cleaned the best I could which seemed to fix it but at this point I had the whole brush apart so it could have been anything really.

It was almost like the needle wasn’t through the nozzle enough, like something was stopping it pushing all the way through.
I’m not sure how i corrected it to be honest, i just soaked the nozzle then cleaned the best I could which seemed to fix it but at this point I had the whole brush apart so it could have been anything really.
It sounds like a case of trying to run before you can walk. Don’t get me wrong Mate, that’s not having a dig at you at all. I admire people who will take on a challenging piece to push them selves. I maybe play a bit too safe, but often I’ll still have problems where I reminded that 6 / 7 months in is no time at all.
It’s the same with anything, playing guitar is a case of: put your fingers here, pick this sting and then move fingers to here. Doesn’t sound like much, but try playing along to any Van Halen tune 6 / 7 months into learning guitar! It won’t work out.
Keep practicing and before long I’m sure you’ll get there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It sounds like a case of trying to run before you can walk. Don’t get me wrong Mate, that’s not having a dig at you at all. I admire people who will take on a challenging piece to push them selves. I maybe play a bit too safe, but often I’ll still have problems where I reminded that 6 / 7 months in is no time at all.
It’s the same with anything, playing guitar is a case of: put your fingers here, pick this sting and then move fingers to here. Doesn’t sound like much, but try playing along to any Van Halen tune 6 / 7 months into learning guitar! It won’t work out.
Keep practicing and before long I’m sure you’ll get there.

Probably bud, its one of them with me i’m pretty much do or die.
Been flying up to this point but last night kind of hit me in the feels a little bit.
It is definitely a tad more frustrating than I originally thought.
I’ve had a night to sleep on it now so feel a bit better.
To be honest mate i’ve been doing well and the painting was looking really good.
I can pull off half decent eyes and lips just through my experience with graphite but the hair just kind of went a bit rubbish.
With the brush miss firing and the hair going a bit crap it just become a frustrating painting more than enjoyable one.
I’m gonna to work this printer thing out to start working on A3 or A2 and go from there but in the meantime i’m going to print of some practice sheets just to practice techniques on doing hair like Mitch then put in the hours.
I’m really grateful for having you guys to fall back on and want you all to know i take everything on board so it’s all good in the hood :thumbsup:

Probably bud, its one of them with me i’m pretty much do or die.
Been flying up to this point but last night kind of hit me in the feels a little bit.
It is definitely a tad more frustrating than I originally thought.
I’ve had a night to sleep on it now so feel a bit better.
To be honest mate i’ve been doing well and the painting was looking really good.
I can pull off half decent eyes and lips just through my experience with graphite but the hair just kind of went a bit rubbish.
With the brush miss firing and the hair going a bit crap it just become a frustrating painting more than enjoyable one.
I’m gonna to work this printer thing out to start working on A3 or A2 and go from there but in the meantime i’m going to print of some practice sheets just to practice techniques on doing hair like Mitch then put in the hours.
I’m really grateful for having you guys to fall back on and want you all to know i take everything on board so it’s all good in the hood :thumbsup:
You’ve definitely got off to a great start Mate! I guess what I’m saying is don’t be too hard on yourself. There’s a lot to learn and you’re doing great.
But I completely understand the frustration.

You’ve definitely got off to a great start Mate! I guess what I’m saying is don’t be too hard on yourself. There’s a lot to learn and you’re doing great.
But I completely understand the frustration.

Thanks Siroxx i’ll get there just need to change my approach a bit.

Back