CMYK color - in Createx/wicked - color names

F

Fallen's Maze

I was wondering if anyone knows what Createx/wicked colors most closely resemble CMYK print ink colors. I would like to experiment using color separations to layer accurate color. Chuck Close did this in the 60s and 70s.

I was wondering if anyone knows what Createx/wicked colors most closely resemble CMYK print ink colors. I would like to experiment using color separations to layer accurate color. Chuck Close did this in the 60s and 70s.

If you intend to use this system, you need the exact colours and not the closest thing to them, as I'm sure you know these are Cyan (blue) Magenta (red) and primary yellow, I've had a look and createx or wicked don't seem to have these, I personally use Schminke aerocolour which does have them, I have all 3 and I also have the normal red, blue and yellow primaries along with white and black opaques, I mix all my own colours and don't buy anything except the primaries.

When I use the CYMK colours I mix them on the work surface, which generally means if I want green I first apply a fine mist of Cyan the go over that with yellow and just keep going until I reach the required tone.

I've just checked this guy out and he's amazing, and from what I see from his art, you really do need the genuine colours.

I hope this helps and saves you a little money.

Thank you for your reply! I am going to look up that brand of paint and order it. I want to build the right color in layers just as you said. I have started doing this in pen and ink and want to do it now with an airbrush. I want the color to look absolutely real in the end. I don't think I am anywhere near having fine enough control but I love the airbrush and believe that it is the tool to use for this.
Chuck's work at the art institute of Chicago looks so real you honestly can't tell it from the photograph. You can see every pore and imperfection. I would love to have the control/discipline. For now I want to Make sure I start in the right spot. Thanks again for the reply.

No problem, it sounds like you already know what you want, just be patient and don't expect it to work instantly, practise is the key, I only use the CYMK colours for smaller things like eyes and that sort of thing, but I am also still learning, every day is a school day, lol

I spent more time checking out the guy's work and like you say it's just unbelievable, I'd never heard of the guy till you said it and till now I've only seen this kind precision from Dru Blair.

To do this you will need to ask Createx if they have a CMYK colour profile for your printer, which I doubt they would have.

Normally a printers ink requires a colour profile for the ink to match what you see on the screen with what is printed out.

If I were you I would get in touch with Createx and ask what they would suggest.

Hey guys, after a little research I found that iwata com-art makes a series of reproduction colors in cmyk. I saw it on dick blick art supplies when I was looking for the shminke colors(which they also had in cmyk). On a side note I found out that chuck close used what appeared in the video to be a single action external mix pasche airbrush. Imagine that S#@& ! I just thought that was the most bizarre thing. There he was making these flawless images dot by dot with that brush-unbelievable.

Back