Co2 tank for air source

otpowell

Double Actioner
Why don't more people do this? Never even herd of this before. Anyone know anything about this?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364741308.658733.jpg

I would think that mostly it's about availability. In most cases you will spend a good amount to buy your own cylinder, then have to take it to be refilled. We have a bunch of them at work, but being an industrial site, we have the company come to us to swap out bottles. Definitely something to look into though if you have a local supplier that will sell to the general public .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

They use them at the Get Away's and classes , Due to no noise from compressors .
But like what has been stated above it is not really a cost effective way for an air supply ..

I started to look into it at Airgas, $100+ for a reg, probably $200 for a 100 lb cylinder, unless you can get a rental/exchange program.

I'm with the others, some do use em but I don't see it as very cost effective, as likely you'll want more than one bottle as running out in the middle of a job would be a pain, good if you want to be ultra quiet or mobile..As I live probably about 100 km from any type of depo I'd rather just turn on the power LOL

I have been toying with this idea for a while now, using my spare air bottles from paintball markers (same fitting as the CO2 bottle onto the marker) but I haven't much gotten to the regulators yet - I am going to visit my local scuba place for advice (I also have two scuba tanks and a fill station).
Either way it will probably cost you less for a reasonably quite compressor then the effort and costs of rigging up CO2 or air, never mind the long term costs for refilling, transport, running out of air and maintenance on the scuba tanks.

Well, here's the thing. I have 6 o2 oxygen takes that I don't use. I was prescribed oxygen for cluster headaches but haven't gotten one in almost 2 years. Perhaps worth looking into.. I also have a free airbrush compressor I got from a friend. It's really old and rusted but it still works. Haven't tried it yet.. I don't see a tank so I think it will probably have to run constantly. That kinda sucks

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364772551.590393.jpg

Probably wouldn't want to use oxygen. CO2 would be best. Good luck on the old compressor.

I do have a nice 20 gallon air compressor.. Just looking for something quieter that I can bring inside. My garage is gonna be a bit hot. I guess I don't have a choice but to paint in my garage since I do prefer urethane paints.

If you do use the cylinders you already have you'll have to invest in a gas specific regulator as different gases have different gravities or pressure. Guess what I'm saying is that not all gas is the same.

I do have a nice 20 gallon air compressor.. Just looking for something quieter that I can bring inside. My garage is gonna be a bit hot. I guess I don't have a choice but to paint in my garage since I do prefer urethane paints.

If you do use those Oxygen tanks - for compressed air - you might only need to use diving and paintball fittings/regulators

OR

do what i am going to do -
my compressor will be outside under the entrance to the outside toilet, and i will run a hose into my work room through the ceiling and an electrical extension back from my room to the compressor (so that i can unplug it without forgetting its on - :O )- my advantage is that i only have one wall to go over.

If you do use those Oxygen tanks - for compressed air - you might only need to use diving and paintball fittings/regulators/QUOTE]

Those tanks are specific for the use of oxygen and have a valve that is designed for oxygen only (pin index or a bullnose din), so that you can only use them with a oxygen compatible/ oxygen serviced regulator which is double the cost of a normal paintball/dive regulator. Plus the fact is that a normal dive shop who's doing refills need to have a converter if they want to fill those oxygen tanks with normal air.

And don't even think about to use oxygen for your airbrushing, you might need an adaptor to replace your hand in the future doing so!!!!!!

If you do use those Oxygen tanks - for compressed air - you might only need to use diving and paintball fittings/regulators/QUOTE]

Those tanks are specific for the use of oxygen and have a valve that is designed for oxygen only (pin index or a bullnose din), so that you can only use them with a oxygen compatible/ oxygen serviced regulator which is double the cost of a normal paintball/dive regulator. Plus the fact is that a normal dive shop who's doing refills need to have a converter if they want to fill those oxygen tanks with normal air.

And don't even think about to use oxygen for your airbrushing, you might need an adaptor to replace your hand in the future doing so!!!!!!
LOL not suggesting he use O2 at all :) I remember now that you are right regarding the fittings. I also know that her in SA you can swop out any type of tank when you take it to be filled - so if I took my oxy acetylene tanks (for example) to the gas supplier, they could (and have) replaced them with full CO2 tanks. problem solved :) Although you would still need to pay for the full CO2.

i tried that with a badger air compressor and a 5 galon air tank takes forever for the wee compressor to fill and at around 50 psi its not long befor i have to turn the compressor back on

Back