Coast Airbrush Supply

R

Ranger370

I have been buying a lot of supplies and equipment lately and have tried several of the online suppliers with some good results and some bad. Having said that, every time I call Coast with some newbie question about something they take the time to talk to me and explain the function of the part or device I am wanting to buy. I have made several orders with them and each one has been complete and shipped fast. Recently I ordered almost 200 bucks worth of stuff from them but forgot to order a couple of cans of SafeT. I posted a message on the Facebook Createx site for David Monnig (sp?) and when my order arrived he had altered it and added the clear coat. To me that is great service that is unusual nowadays and I wanted to share the experience with all of you.

Dave and his crew try and set the standard for what online stores should be,
Dave himself is more than willing to spend time on the phone or in person answering and explaining how thing work or even compare to each other.
Plus that is the only place I order from.

I went in to buy a few items and David took the time to explain several different things to me that as a Newbie I didn't even know that I needed to know :) I've painted a couple of helmets for my grandson and he had me bring one in and showed me how to do one, faster AND better!

Looking forward to my first Airbrush Rendezvous

Last edited by a moderator:
Just checked it out.....gonna buy me some com-art paints

Bought from them twice, talked to an employee on the phone once. Experience was smooth as glass each time. I'd def buy from them again.

It is great to know that there us still customer service out there

I just wish for those of us not in the US that Coast's shopping cart would have the ability to work out postage costs as you go. They will get in contact after ordering with postage costs but it's important to know as you go along how to minimise postage costs. I've noticed with other online retailers that sometimes 1 extra item can push you into a much higher postage category.

I just wish for those of us not in the US that Coast's shopping cart would have the ability to work out postage costs as you go. They will get in contact after ordering with postage costs but it's important to know as you go along how to minimise postage costs. I've noticed with other online retailers that sometimes 1 extra item can push you into a much higher postage category.

Agree with this, If there is no indication of the cost while ordering on any on-line supplier I simply order nothing, I usually have a specific amount I can spend when ordering stuff, so it can be pretty soul destroying when I can only have half of what I want because the rest is eaten up in the postage, and this "the postage is free if you live next door to me" attitude also doesn't help.

I've been trying to find com- art paint which I want simply because I refuse to pay the price of E-Tac at 1.5 times the cost, I simply don't believe that E-Tac is that special no matter what anyone says, however, it's starting to look like it's worth paying the price for it just to avoid the ridiculous shipping costs.

I experienced an interesting thing when I wanted to order from them. So I placed my order and ask them to get me quote for courier service. With this request, they do charge your credit card with the standard price. So I decline their quote and they refund me. But, our currency lost some value in the few days it took them to get back to me and do the refund. So I lost money with this exercise.

Agree with this, If there is no indication of the cost while ordering on any on-line supplier I simply order nothing, I usually have a specific amount I can spend when ordering stuff, so it can be pretty soul destroying when I can only have half of what I want because the rest is eaten up in the postage, and this "the postage is free if you live next door to me" attitude also doesn't help.

I've been trying to find com- art paint which I want simply because I refuse to pay the price of E-Tac at 1.5 times the cost, I simply don't believe that E-Tac is that special no matter what anyone says, however, it's starting to look like it's worth paying the price for it just to avoid the ridiculous shipping costs.
Likewise, I won't order if I don't know what the postage costs will be. Therefore I won't buy from Coast until they improve this.
I have had good experience buying E-Tac in Australia. I buy the 4 oz size, that is much more economical than the 2oz size, plus our local supplier charges very similar to US prices. Comart on the other hand is a bit frustrating. As a paint that doesn't usually need much thinning, the 1 oz bottles don't last very long and I can't find anyone locally or with reasonable postage charges to Australia for the bigger sizes. You would think that Iwata's paint should be the the most readily available given how many here sell their airbrushes.

Well Com art isn't as popular now. Even steve driscoll who used to use it exclusively uses wicked now. It seems to be more popular with illustrators who have always used it and people outside the usa. I don't know of anyone here in the states that uses it aside from a select few

I ordered my krome from coast because the price was matched with a coupon i had from a local dealer and it cost less from them after all was said and done with free shipping

Well Com art isn't as popular now. Even steve driscoll who used to use it exclusively uses wicked now. It seems to be more popular with illustrators who have always used it and people outside the usa. I don't know of anyone here in the states that uses it aside from a select few
I think he, just like all the other pros, were "bought" by Createx. If I get approached with free paint and my name on the lable, I would also change brands.

Of course be stupid not to. Just from the people i know it's very uncommon in the US to be used and since isn't recommended for tshirts or hard surfaces it's market is slim

Chicago Airbrush Supply have the facility to give an indication of the postal costs when in your basket, shame they don't give the ability to see the cost in £'s sterling :(. Also have a live chat facility so you can discuss post etc on the fly. Not used them so cant comment on customer service etc but sure someone on here will be able to fill the gaps.

Chicago Airbrush Supply have the facility to give an indication of the postal costs when in your basket, shame they don't give the ability to see the cost in £'s sterling :(. Also have a live chat facility so you can discuss post etc on the fly. Not used them so cant comment on customer service etc but sure someone on here will be able to fill the gaps.
Coast Airbrush has the same ability . Plus you always get a real person on the phone and if you choose to and he is in town you can talk to David Monnig direct which is the owner of Coast Airbrush.
Being Chicago Airbrush and I do not have the best history together I will reserve any other comments .

Coast Airbrush has the same ability . Plus you always get a real person on the phone and if you choose to and he is in town you can talk to David Monnig direct which is the owner of Coast Airbrush.
Being Chicago Airbrush and I do not have the best history together I will reserve any other comments .
Coast only has the ability to work out postage costs on the fly if you are based in USA. For those of us overseas the process is very discouraging. You have to create your order with no idea what the postage costs will be and pay for it. They then send an email later with the postage costs. If you're happy with it you pay the postage costs at which time the order is processed. If the postage is too much then you have to wait while a refund is processed and put back in your account. I've never used them myself but if they update their processes I probabably would.

Coast only has the ability to work out postage costs on the fly if you are based in USA. For those of us overseas the process is very discouraging. You have to create your order with no idea what the postage costs will be and pay for it. They then send an email later with the postage costs. If you're happy with it you pay the postage costs at which time the order is processed. If the postage is too much then you have to wait while a refund is processed and put back in your account. I've never used them myself but if they update their processes I probably would.
Same here, last order I had tried to use Coast as Herb has a very high opinion of them (and I value Herb's opinion:)), but it did not work out for me. Like you said I had to pay my order, then got the amount for shipping later, found it a bit high but paid anyway, then I got a two week estimate on delivery. When I checked latter during the week on my order status, there was an item that was back order and was expected to be received in an other two weeks which meant I would need to wait a month before I got my order. I finally decided to cancel and order from Chicago Airbrush, I got everything the next week and saved almost $10 on shipping and an other $10 on my order. Not saying Coast is bad here, but if they could change the way they deal with international shipping it would be great for us non U.S. residents.
For the extra shipping time I would think it is just because they are on the west coast near Mexico and I'm on the east coast near the North Pole (this sentence might contain a small exageration) LOL

Back