color light vs dark

P

phantom

I have a question with color, I have just done the joker but I went from dark to light with my colors what would most people do?

I generally go light to dark then go back in for the really bright highlights this is usually on black on white I would do the reverse.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I have a question with color, I have just done the joker but I went from dark to light with my colors what would most people do?

You generally go light to dark, unless on a black background, like your joker. You can do like you stated, but most of the time on black background, you do the whole painting in white like a monochromatic, then work you color in from light to dark. Working that way your colors have more pop and are a brighter, more natural color to them. Your way wasn't wrong, just a harder way to achieve good colors. Keep painting buddy!! I still struggle with color.

Josh

Thanks seamonkey. The reason for the question before I did airbrushing I was painting with oils and the norm is going from dark to light

Never got into oils, but have tried them and that was a disaster, lol! Maybe if I would have know that tip, it wouldn't have been so bad....... No, that tip had nothing to do with how bad it was, lol :D

Josh

Hey phantom, it also depends if you are painting with transparent or opaque colors. If you use Opaque then you always paint from light to dark as i learned from books and the Daniel Power DVD. The reason is that
opaque colors always cover up the other colors with the overspray. So if you paint your dark spots first and paint your light stuff you get lots of overspray in them again. Using transparents you can chose to
work from light to dark or dark to light. But as i found out with transparents it is mostly dark to light. Im also still a beginner so dont pin me down on that stuff what i said lol. I think there are alot of artist
that still do it way around since it is what they prefere and what suits their style.

Phantom, this has come up a few times recently and I also have dabbled a fair bit with oils so I know the method your using. Stranger mentioned you can get issue with lighter overspray resting on the darker colors but that can be avoided in a big sense with masking/shielding, hand shielding and angling your brush away from dark areas. generally in a lot of opaque pics we finish with transparents which also blends this overspray aspect away, but I also like to finish with the darkest color again (Or a transparent dark) just to clean up any potential overspray issue so in essence it can be done fine that way with opaques, but for many it can create blue shift so most will generally go light to dark to avoid this shift, especially in greyscale or B&W images.

With transparents and in monochromatic images dark to light is fine, that is generally the way if your only using one color as it establishes your darkest shade first and the overspray from this starts doing your softer shading and blending for you and reduces your chances of taking the picture to dark on your initial shading, in multiple transparent color images its generally light to dark, but again as Stranger mentions the fun thing about airbrushing or any artform is finding your own niche and doing what makes you happy or what you find successful so practice all methods and see what works for you as both methods can create similar artworks, and both have their own advantages and disadvantages...

Would love to see the piece you did, ultimately did going dark to light create something you we're happy with, if not try it the other way :)

Phantom, this has come up a few times recently and I also have dabbled a fair bit with oils so I know the method your using. Stranger mentioned you can get issue with lighter overspray resting on the darker colors but that can be avoided in a big sense with masking/shielding, hand shielding and angling your brush away from dark areas. generally in a lot of opaque pics we finish with transparents which also blends this overspray aspect away, but I also like to finish with the darkest color again (Or a transparent dark) just to clean up any potential overspray issue so in essence it can be done fine that way with opaques, but for many it can create blue shift so most will generally go light to dark to avoid this shift, especially in greyscale or B&W images.

With transparents and in monochromatic images dark to light is fine, that is generally the way if your only using one color as it establishes your darkest shade first and the overspray from this starts doing your softer shading and blending for you and reduces your chances of taking the picture to dark on your initial shading, in multiple transparent color images its generally light to dark, but again as Stranger mentions the fun thing about airbrushing or any artform is finding your own niche and doing what makes you happy or what you find successful so practice all methods and see what works for you as both methods can create similar artworks, and both have their own advantages and disadvantages...

Would love to see the piece you did, ultimately did going dark to light create something you we're happy with, if not try it the other way :)

Thanks rebel for the advise, like you said I will need to try a few things and see which one works for me.
Here is one of my oils which I have done.Dog_Painting.jpg

Back