Colouring In ?

W

worldofglasscraft

Can any one tell me the correct way to do colouring in?

If you take say a simple circle made in black and we decide to colour in the circle .........red.

What's the best way to colour in so that everything looks even rather than hundreds of lines joining together to achieve a coverage of the space.

Should the airbrush be held close to the substrate and moved at angles to achieve fades or should it be held as far away as possible with the trigger pulled all to the way back to 100% ?

Anyone got a colouring in video ?

THat's very interesting Mr.M. and I'm glad your on board here as I write down your tips in a text file on my puter :)

I had a look at your pics, very informative.
So for me, if the canvas is a white t-shirt and the circle is red filled in with black, would you still lay white down in the circle before the black?

If your working on top of black as Mr M said, first cover everything with white that you want to be red, I am assuming that you want cover and area evenly in one colour so that you end up with a red circle, if that's the case the rules of normal spraying technique apply.

To achieve an even coverage, firstly mask anything off you don't want to paint to protect it from over-spray, begin with your pistol about 8 - 10 inches away from the surface to be painted, move your pistol left to right, drop down and come back from right to left, take note of the width of your spray pattern and ensure that each line overlaps the preceding line by about 50 - 60%, when you stop the pistol at the end of each line stop outside of the painted area over the masking, this will avoid blotching, once you get to the bottom of your circle repeat the same process vertically, keep repeating this process until you achieve full coverage.

It is very important to keep the speed of your swings constant.

THat's very interesting Mr.M. and I'm glad your on board here as I write down your tips in a text file on my puter :)

I had a look at your pics, very informative.
So for me, if the canvas is a white t-shirt and the circle is red filled in with black, would you still lay white down in the circle before the black?

No , if your on a white background you can save and make highlights, on the shirt using the color you want it to be. you have to pay closer attention about saving your brightest white than you would doing it on a color shirt.
Mainly this is for when you have say a black ,red,blue or any other dark color shirt, If you do the entire painting in white and hit the hottest spots and let the over spray do your fade for depth than all you have to do is wash color over the pic.

Cheers Guys,
Overspray is a different issue.
How come those t-shirt guys in the states don't mask anything off and don't get over spray yet us poor noobs get overspray everywhere despite masking everything......even my hands :)

Cheers Guys,
How come those t-shirt guys in the states don't mask anything off and don't get over spray yet us poor noobs get overspray everywhere despite masking everything......even my hands :)

I'm not sure why that is, but they are obviously doing something different, my guess is their paint is a lot thicker than we are using.

Over-spray (or at least a lot of it) isn't guaranteed, it depends on air pressure and distance from your work, lower pressure = less over spray, but if your using thick paint you need more pressure or a much bigger nozzle, I don't personally mask anything unless I want to cover a large area, for anything else I have no problem.

Cheers Guys,

Daniel Powers show this in his Series one dvd , If you want all the over spray to stay with in the painting area you aim your airbrush in the direction you want the paint. That would be a good how to for Mitch to show off,
It takes practice to learn to point your airbrush in the direction you only want the paint in. Most noobs (myself included) try to keep the airbrushing pointing straight.But since learning how to do it I rarely have issues with over spray. I have only painted on t-shirt but have lost count of how many back packs book bags and lugs bags I have did for mainly my daughter, I started using them as a bar to see if I was getting better by how much over spray I did not see.
But when I do shirts bag and textiles in general I hardly ever run above 35 PSI. The first t-shirt I painted for a friend he is still wearing it and that was about 5 years ago , He just throws in in the wash in cold water and drys it. Color has faded a little on the first wash but not much since.

I'm not sure why that is, but they are obviously doing something different, my guess is their paint is a lot thicker than we are using.

Over-spray (or at least a lot of it) isn't guaranteed, it depends on air pressure and distance from your work, lower pressure = less over spray, but if your using thick paint you need more pressure or a much bigger nozzle, I don't personally mask anything unless I want to cover a large area, for anything else I have no problem.
I agree with what you said , Also a lot of the old school use a template to lay in the main subject ie... Beach , mountains whatever then free hand everything else.

Here is a cool old video when Terry Hill was a little younger...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sKOT5zo9ac&feature=related

Just having you two guys explain stuff makes visiting this site so worthwhile. Everything else is a bonus :)

I too want to do bags and stuff Mr.M....one day but my white Medea Textile wont come out of the brush under 40 psi.

What paint are you using on textiles please? I know the guys in the states are using Createx cos I seem the bottles, except Jaime Rodriguez who use Spectra Tex but he's the only person I ever heard of using it.

To get even coverage on a larger area, I hold the gun father away and make sure the spray pattern overlaps on each pass, the turn 90 degrees and do the same again.

Very interesting, also noteworthy is his saying to heat press the white under base before laying on any more paint.

And how thick was that stencil !!!! I make mine from printer paper of OHP transparencies :-(
I use Wicked and Createx , I have tried the spectra but it cost the same here in my town but is a extra 20 mile trip to the other side of town to get it.
Terry and most of them use 10 point card stock. or post cards depending on how big or small the template has to be. but they also spray a adhesive on it to hold it in place . you can see him explaining a lot of that on this video he did....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prEpsR6ZkVE

Spectra seems about £2 a 2oz bottle cheaper here but i wonder if it's the same as medea or more like createx.

Spectra seems about £2 a 2oz bottle cheaper here but i wonder if it's the same as medea or more like createx.

Hi there,
I got some bottles of Spectra-Tex colors here and also Wicked from createx. Actualy i like the Spectra Tex more then the Wicked colors since they are thinner
and im mostly able to spray them out of the bottle with the 0.3 nozzle. They are also much cheaper then the Wicked here, actualy about the cheapest paints i can get here.
I havent done shirts yet, so i cant tell you how they work there, but i guess very good since Jamie uses them on his shirts and fabrics. I used them on a metal panel and they worked
great there, as good as the Wicked colors. If i was you i would just get me some bottles to try them out, im pretty sure you will like them.

Thanks guys I will give the Spectra a go before getting createx.
I have had nothing but teething problems with medea and before I write the paint off as the problem I need to try something else in case the problem is me :)

I have had nothing but teething problems with medea and before I write the paint off as the problem I need to try something else in case the problem is me :)

Oh the problem is never going to be you:D Just the alignment of the moon and the axis of the sun are off causing the paint to try and reverse flow making excessive tip dry and problems. Happens all the time to me. Dang Global warming anyway always getting in the way of me painting......

But that is why I am trying different paint systems to see which I like and which fall into okay I tried that now lets not speak of it again...

I do not like Createx at all and love my Medea-Com Art paints. I get smooth coverage with it at about 15psi with both the opaque and translucent paints.

I do not like Createx at all and love my Medea-Com Art paints. I get smooth coverage with it at about 15psi with both the opaque and translucent paints.

You're not doing textiles I take it?

You know Medea Textile is being withdrawn?

Back