Comart Color issues?

sevastra

Needle-chuck Ninja
I have been using comart paints, and mostly have used the transparent black and smoke. Though i found it a bit harder to erase for highlights, it still worked. I have been trying to use color now with the same paints, and it's proving to be harder and harder to erase, I'm not sure if anyone else has run into this same snag or if its a combination of me, the paper i am using and so on. Maybe its the paper? I am using just Strathmore watercolor, cold press. Its really giving me a headache, i have ruined a bunch of stuff that is beyond saving!

I have been using comart paints, and mostly have used the transparent black and smoke. Though i found it a bit harder to erase for highlights, it still worked. I have been trying to use color now with the same paints, and it's proving to be harder and harder to erase, I'm not sure if anyone else has run into this same snag or if its a combination of me, the paper i am using and so on. Maybe its the paper? I am using just Strathmore watercolor, cold press. Its really giving me a headache, i have ruined a bunch of stuff that is beyond saving!
hi sevestra i use com art paints on medium and thick card and have no problem with erasing, as @AndreZA must be the paper, try it on something else and see how you go :)

Thanks guys, yeah, i'm going to try different paper, i did a portrait and now its in a little ball on my floor, because it simply wouldn't erase where i needed it to and it got worse and worse. Then i tried to erase just where i sketched in stuff with a pencil for a guide, and that wouldn't even erase ha, it was a mess.

Hi Sevastra, it depends on the tools you're using also - using an absorbant paper or card won't work well for erasing techniques, for papers and anything absorbant you need to get aggressive and use something like an electric eraser. What you are actually doing is destroying the surface to reveal white fibre. Instead you want to look for a surface that simply holds the paint, but which allows for the paint to be erased from the surface.

Hi Sevastra, it depends on the tools you're using also - using an absorbant paper or card won't work well for erasing techniques, for papers and anything absorbant you need to get aggressive and use something like an electric eraser. What you are actually doing is destroying the surface to reveal white fibre. Instead you want to look for a surface that simply holds the paint, but which allows for the paint to be erased from the surface.

I picked up two sets of com-art when I got my new airbrush, I got the driscol flesh tones and primary colour set both include smoke and the primary has black, I've never tried com-art till now, but the guy in the shop did say that both smoke and black are harder to erase than the other colours because they have slightly heavier pigments, he said they would be easier with a little more thinning as well more light light passes with erasing in between.

Also as Mitch said, absorbent paper normally intended for drawing or hairy brushed watercolours are all but useless for erasing, however,, if you find airbrush papers a little too expensive (I certainly do) you can also try photo card, this is available in slightly bigger than A2 size, it's a lot cheaper and it has one side which is matt but extremely smooth, the back is just as drawing paper but stronger.

I did a little test with my new com-art paints, the card mentioned here, Schoelershammer paper and my own geussoed MDF boards and they all erased very well, with all except the MDF, you do need apply a little patience and erase slowly and gradually, they can all be damages if you are too aggressive, I wish I had put up the results of this but I'm stupid, so I didn't:)

The photo card you can get at any decent art shop, it costs between 80 to 95 euro cents a sheet and you can buy loose sheets meaning one at a time, so it is well worth a try

I have an electric eraser, it's not doing its job, haha. I have a helix, but it's not very powerful. i should change the batteries out maybe i bought batteries that suck. I'm on the hunt for paper, I really think though that the original paper i was thinking, that is crazy expensive. If i was doing something special i might swing to buy a few but just for normal stuff i will look for something like you said Madbrush. Thanks everyone again

Maybe try Bristol or actual hot press illustration board. Most art stores will have it. Another thing to try is gessoed masonite or clay board panels. I went through a lot of various surfaces to find one I liked. They all have their advantages and disadvantages.

Back