ComArt Paints? Airbrush? Reducer? Air pressure?

O

olvi

Hi there guys ..
I have some questions about this paints because I cannot find a good ratio, or maybe I do but I do not have the control I want on the airbrush.

I use an Iwata Eclipse hp cs .35. Air pressure 20-30 psi.

I use the paints straight out the bottle or 1:1 paint with distilled water but the second choice is a pain in the ass because of the tip dry. After 2 sprays the tip dry appears.

Can you share your experience with this type of paints? please.

thank you in advance.

Hi, im only a beginner to airbrushing this year. I have had good success with com-art paints straight from the bottle. I use an iwata eclipse airbrush and i only have the air pressure at around 5 psi.

I find i can go slower then when painting.

Hope this helps.

Sorry Olvi, never used this brand, if the paint is flowing well, but building up tip dry very quickly then maybe lower air pressure could help.

i have heard someone he is using this paints at a very low pressure, I have tried that two days ago but no success. I mean it sprays but just pigment dots ... I will keep practice .. thank you for your reply .. it helps

I've been using it for about 2 years now and I love it. I never use it without their own medium though. Always about a 2:1 (paint:medium) mixture and then mix it further with water. Sometimes up to 15:1. Then I can go super fine and pressure as low as 5psi. At this ratio it is very transparent and I built layers to get to my final colour.

Hi olvi, I have the com art Payne's grey and transparent smoke, I generally us a 2:1 to 4:1 reducer:paint mix. The reducer I use is a recipe from this valuable forum - 75% water (distilled if you have) 25% denatured alcohol (methelated spirits in my country) and one drop of glycerine per 30 ml (one ounce). It is also wise to put the reducer in your paint cup first, then the paint (measured in drops). I am also running at about 10-20 psi. I am using an infinity (H&S) with the 0.15 nozzle/tip .
Hope this helps

And Andre has a lot more experience than I do, :) so listen to his wisdom too.
Don't forget to practise your dots and daggers :) :)

Edit - when you say 'pigment dots' do you mean a dotted line when you draw a line? That might be tat you have a compressor with no air tank - ie its a direct air?

Last edited by a moderator:
Edit - when you say 'pigment dots' do you mean a dotted line when you draw a line? That might be tat you have a compressor with no air tank - ie its a direct air?

I have an air tank of about 50L :) hope this is enough :) the pressure in it is 50 psi minimum so i do not think there is the problem.
When i say dots i mean : have a look at this link photo i found on google see next to the dot there is an over spray .. that is the pattern i get at that lower pressures.
hope I was explicit with the pigment dots

I never use it without their own medium though. Always about a 2:1 (paint:medium) mixture and then mix it further with water. Sometimes up to 15:1.
what medium ?? I did not know there is a medium reducer for comart. Here at the store I find comart paints they do not have any reducer in there.
I just use distiled water, lower down my pressure but the tip dry is a pain in the a s s ... I will still try to find the right proportion for me to work with .. thank you very much guys for sharing your secrets with us.

morning Olvi
I have a feeling that the spots you are talking about may be that for the lower pressures your paint isnt thin enough (reduced enough) But I think others here with more experience could give more opinions.
stock-photo-870038-large-spray-paint-drip-with-over-spray.jpg
I attached the pic you may have been refering to, but it would be better i think if you could take a pic of your specific ones you sprayed.

In terms of the medium, it is NOT a reducer, it has the same viscosity as the paint - think of it as a clear liquid that has the same properties as the paint, just no colour. this basically lowers the tone (is that the right word forumites?) - so the more medium you mix in, the less strong the colour is. AND THEN the more reducer you mix in, the thinner the paint and the lower your psi needs to be in order to blow it out your airbrush.

morning Olvi
In terms of the medium, it is NOT a reducer, it has the same viscosity as the paint - think of it as a clear liquid that has the same properties as the paint, just no colour. this basically lowers the tone (is that the right word forumites?) - so the more medium you mix in, the less strong the colour is. AND THEN the more reducer you mix in, the thinner the paint and the lower your psi needs to be in order to blow it out your airbrush.
Maybe an product code or something related to specific product will be great .. i am looking at iwata website and I see no medium paint.

Tonight I will do a picture of what i am trying to say and will post it, i have none right now and I was trying to find one over internet as a demo.

what medium ?? I did not know there is a medium reducer for comart. Here at the store I find comart paints they do not have any reducer in there.
I just use distiled water, lower down my pressure but the tip dry is a pain in the a s s ... I will still try to find the right proportion for me to work with .. thank you very much guys for sharing your secrets with us.

com-1-000-l.gif

Code is VIM 1000-(size goes here). Don't worry, my local Iwata agent did not even know there was such a thing either but he manages to get it from the official supplier.

It helps with tip dry but does not get rid of it. White is still a nightmare. I use it in all my paint even from other brands.

View attachment 17750

Code is VIM 1000-(size goes here). Don't worry, my local Iwata agent did not even know there was such a thing either but he manages to get it from the official supplier.

It helps with tip dry but does not get rid of it. White is still a nightmare. I use it in all my paint even from other brands.

i will try to buy one bottle if i will ever find here around .. if no I have to buy from ebay amazon or somewhere.

Thank you very much.
Have a great day all of you.

Hi Olvi,
I use "Golden Airbrush Transparent Extender" (because I can buy it in Holland) with my Com-Art paints. Madbrush also uses it with his Schmincke Aero Pro paints. It does the same job as the Com-Art Medium so if you can't find the Com-Art Medium you can try the Golden one. I find it helps with paint flow and tip-dry, not hugh amounts though, and I use bottled water to thin the paint but no more than 20%

5 drops paint + 5 drops Golden Airbrush Trans. Extender + 2 drops bottled water

I'm still experimenting with the mix though.

AndreZA, I read that if you use water to reduce your paint, it will start to loose it's binding quality if you go over 20% water to paint mix. You said in an earlier post that you reduce your Paint and Medium mix 15:1. Is that 15 parts water to one part paint mix? And if so why do you not have paint to surface binding problems? Does it depend on what surface you paint onto? I only ask because I've stuck to the no more than 20% rule and I would hate the paint on a painting to start lifting after a year or so.

cheers Mel

Olvi, There is a UK shop that stocks it. https://airbrushes.com/product_info.php?cPath=4_25&products_id=21325

Melbee, I have no idea if I will have problems in the future. Yes it is 15 parts water to 1 part paint + medium mixture. I was also advised not to go that far but I like it and it works for me. I don't always reduce tat far but for detail work and monotone work I basically work with coloured water. But if the paint is already thin, I don't go that far.

Olvi, There is a UK shop that stocks it. https://airbrushes.com/product_info.php?cPath=4_25&products_id=21325

Melbee, I have no idea if I will have problems in the future. Yes it is 15 parts water to 1 part paint + medium mixture. I was also advised not to go that far but I like it and it works for me. I don't always reduce tat far but for detail work and monotone work I basically work with coloured water. But if the paint is already thin, I don't go that far.

thank you for sharing this supplier .. I will take a look all over ebay or amazon to find more products to buy .. i would like to try auto air, wicked, and etac colors so I want to see if I find a supplier so I can buy all this things from one place.
thank you very much.

AndreZA, Thanks for your reply. OK I understand that this mixture works for you and your technique. I think I'll stick to the 20% water rule :)

Golden also does an "Airbrush Medium" which I have used to thin Golden Fluid paints. This has a "don't reduce more than 50%" rule, where as Golden Airbrush Trans. Extender (used with Golden Airbrush colours) can be reduced indefinitely. So I'm messing about with different mixtures of these till I find the one that works best.

Olvi, Good luck with your search.
Cheers Mel

It's all about layering. Getting the paint to flow and spray clean may mean lots of reducing, which means lots of layers to get to the colour density you want. But, this will help you get great variation in tones and give more realism to your work.

o m f g ... o m f g .. .. o m f g guys .. you are awesome...
after I had go from shop to shop here in Bucharest art shop and hobby stores, no reducer found in this stores .. so I get back to my paints and my distilled water.
1:1 paint and water, something around 5 psi, not sure what pressure because i cannot see the lines just 10 to 10 psi .. it was just i the middle of 0 to 10 .. :)
play about 5 minutes with straight from the bottle and then reducing more and more `till I had the paint I wanted .. not sure what it was but by eye the proportion was as I said 1:1 ..
here is my work I did with this paint in about 1 hour.. I know I get to far black , I know that but it is my issue, i have to learn go step by step, I tried today but no success.. anyway hope this work speak by itself.

Attachments

• 531785_690038857676292_1806895576_n.jpg
    531785_690038857676292_1806895576_n.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 65
Back