Coming along, new project

emack

Double Actioner
Thanks to all the advice I've got regarding airbrushes, paints and the like I am making some headway figuring out some issues I had on previous sessions. Here's some progress I had on my latest project. The subject matter is a picture of a lion fish I took. I first sketched it out on water color paper with a water color pencil. Then I used painters tape to cover the center of the eye and fin areas. I thinned the paint and found I needed to stop every now and then, pour out the paint and run some reducer through the air brush, thin the paint a bit and resume.
Hoping to have some time to do some more work on this soon but I'm happy with how this came out so far.
Thanks everyone for the help getting this far! I uploaded different phases and the photo I took of the fish.

Attachments

• fish2.jpg
    fish2.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 51
  • fish1.jpg
    fish1.jpg
    336.3 KB · Views: 50
  • fish3.jpg
    fish3.jpg
    395.9 KB · Views: 54
  • fish4.jpg
    fish4.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 55
so far so good,
Painters tape isn't ideal, it will allow paint to creep under the edge if you don't press it down properly. - I know, you'd think 'painters tape' would seal properly but it doesn't
I thinned the paint and found I needed to stop every now and then, pour out the paint and run some reducer through the air brush, thin the paint a bit and resume.
if your paint is thinned properly you shouldn't need to empty, thin it more then go again. if you are putting a lot of paint in the cup then make sure you backflush it occasionally (away from your art work if you don't want your painting to be freckled ) as you are probably experiencing the pigment settling. You'll soon be able to gauge how much paint you actually need and put a lot less in the cup so you don't waste as much. I think we all wasted a heck of a lot of paint when we started because we thought we needed so much.

So far you are going great, you haven't gone to dark to soon (very common when starting out) so before you darken the fish I'd suggest getting some background in (I would have started with the background but that's just me, I prefer to work from the background to the foreground)

I've enlarged the picture so we can see it :)
it sounds like you got bored / frustrated with it so yes, put it to one side and bring it back out later and finesse it a little more.
and make sure you scribble the date on the back of it, its fun to pull out old pieces occasionally and you get a real idea of how your journey is progressing

I've enlarged the picture so we can see it :)
it sounds like you got bored / frustrated with it so yes, put it to one side and bring it back out later and finesse it a little more.
and make sure you scribble the date on the back of it, its fun to pull out old pieces occasionally and you get a real idea of how your journey is progressing

Not really frustrated or bored, just met my objective with this project. It was fun and a learning experience. Thankfully, I'm getting some great feedback and advice on this forum which is helping me along.

Back