For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Competition

Discussion in 'Competitions!' started by Tsunami airbrush, Nov 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. airbrushtutor

airbrushtutor Love Spreading Overseer Admin

there's a heap of people who consider me a good airbrush artist. Hell i consider myself one.. but i couldn't point to an original artwork of mine. Unfortunately i aspire to become creative.. i'm not gifted with it :(
    I see exactly what you're saying Tsunami, but i encourage airbrush artists to copy as it brings more people into the craft and it's hard enough to be good at copying something!
  2. mm.airbrush.art

mm.airbrush.art Mac-Valve Maestro!

well i did my competition work to my friend who loves geger art so i really hope he sees giger on my work, i dont understand this complaining not a pit im not going to win this there is couble work that are just stunning and i feel bad for them now and that if anyting is sad, if we paint portrait of megan fox should we all try to focus picasso style orsomething we dont want, really try to paint my job as much Giger i could, im not sad if i dont get any votes so what who cares, i started this cos i wanted to do something with you guys not against you damn stop that complaining and enjoy that there is 53 really different art work.
  3. haasje dutchairbrush

haasje dutchairbrush Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

On the subject of originality and airbrushing (not attacking or defending anyone :))

Origanality in work is beatifull, but not everyone is a giger (or any other famous painter/designer) and able to come up with creative original work.

Making an original work requiers alot more skills than airbrushing alone, you need to be able to make a composition, know perspective and know how light affects objects just to name a few. In art school they can spend a year on each of these subjects. The airbrush as a tool is exceptionaly suited to coppy stuff and that is also the beauty of it. I think that is one of the main reasons a lot of people are drawn to airbrushing. It is an outlet which enables people to "vent" their artistic side as you can have beautifull results without needing a heap of tallent to draw or design, getting controll off the airbrush is enough to make a nice work.

When you look at airbrush forums you'll see verry little original designs most of it in one way or another is a coppy. They are beautifull works of art though, and those that made them are proud off them and enjoyed making them and that last part (for me atleast) is what its all about. I know serveral airbrushers that couldn't draw a thing even if their life depended on it but they have great fun making the pieces they do.

The above is ofc verry generraly speaking there are heaps of fabulous artists around who do make original pieces :)
  4. Tsunami airbrush

Tsunami airbrush Needle-chuck Ninja

what I say is this:
    We participated in a contest bio mechanical and these are the works that took the most votes ok .
    as the king of the bio mechanical giger is not it a little too easy and obvious that it is these paintings are the most rated ?
    Of course I defy anyone to say that these works are nothing more than the transformation of the giger originle .
    Do not say I'm hurt , but anyone who sees these paintings and giger know will tell you that these works are closely aligned on the giger .
    What I mean is that voters should have the conscience to be objective , if the next competition will be based for instance on Pop art and I present you with this . Pagliacci_Pear_Tomato_Puree_28oz.jpg
    I'm not surprised if someone said : it is but this is the same as Andy Warhol images (1).jpg ! but I could tell it is not my jar is completely different no! but the idea is the construction and the concept is always the same.
    when it is so in a competition one is not even allowed , much less voted, because the remakes of great artists do not affecting to anyone, even if they are technically well made ​​.
    anyway congratulations to the winners of this bio mechanical, enjoy the victory.
    the next contests I ask everyone to think well before you vote, the vote of the forum should be the one who decreed a painting technically well done "very well" richly detailed and original in form and idea, then there is the vote on the creativity that maybe is not perfect in technique, but the idea is great.
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  5. VikingNerd

VikingNerd Elite Member! Elite Member!

I honestly felt like the winner reminded me more of a Masamune Shirow (artist and creator of Ghost in the Shell, and Appleseed) painting that that of Giger. It's a tough spot....the king of biomechanical artwork inspires people. I do understand where Tsunami is coming from, but I think some of these things are going to mirror one another all the time. By naming a genre that people can work from, it's hard not to draw from the people that more or less define that genre.
  6. Madbrush

Madbrush Guest

If the voters do exactly what you want then they are not actually voting, are they?, wouldn't it make sense to just tell us in the next comp which one is yours and then tell us to vote for it, all the members who did vote, did so for their own specific reasons and I think like my self the main one was the WOW factor and possibly the fact that it was possible for anyone to get that close to Giger, If I attempted Giger, you would all see Walt Disney I'm sure, besides, when Theron finally puts his signature on it, won't that at least be original? lol

The guy produced a master piece, he also complimented Giger by pouring his soul into it and making it as good as it is instead of sending in a rush job, so I say let the guy enjoy his 15 minutes of fame and hard earned prize and give a rest now, you can't make us what you want us to be.

Oh and if I may say, I think your method of trying to make friends may require some fine tuning.
  7. jagardn

jagardn Airbrush Acquisition Disorder Patient Elite Member!

You can change your artwork as you would like to win every competition the forum has to offer. I myself went off in a different direction than the Giger style based on challenging myself on the design aspects of creating original piece. I can understand your point there. Beyond that, you didn't win, neither did I, our pieces obviously didn't captivate the audience. There is no way to tell how the voting will go, my piece didn't get any votes, is that going to make me change what I do, No.

The winning piece got my vote, but why? It had great detail, highlights, shadow, value scale, design and flow.
    @Theron, congrats on your well deserved win! It is an outstanding piece of work!
  8. foreveryoung001

foreveryoung001 Detail Decepticon!

I was confused before, and now I seem to be even more confused. My vote didn't go for Theron's winning piece, but his was in my top 3 and the one I picked was even more Giger-like. So are you implying that I didn't vote for the correct piece? I voted for the one I enjoyed the most. For me, it came down to style, execution, theme... a whole lot of reasons, but it was the piece that I liked the best. So why would my vote be wrong? My conscience is clear and I wouldn't change my vote.

I do agree that the rules for this particular contest might have been a little more vague than in previous ones, but perhaps it was designed that way, to allow more freedom from each artist to go in a direction that they wanted to, but again, I'm still confused by what is bothering you about it. When it comes to voting, people vote for different reasons... but who am I, or who is anyone, to question a person's individual criteria for who they voted for?

I mean, personally, I think Theron's piece got the votes because he added boobs. LOL. (I'll have to remember that for the next competition). Just kidding about that, but what if that really was the only reason that people voted for it? Does that make his piece any less deserving? It was clean, well laid out, technically great, and certainly felt very Giger inspired to me.

I wish I understood better why you are so frustrated with this whole thing. In some ways, I'm feeling very insulted, like you're telling me I voted for the wrong piece for the wrong reasons. I'm hoping its just the language barrier that makes it come across like that, but its making it difficult for me to try and reason out your argument. Again, I hope you find some inner piece with it all.
  9. Theron

Theron Triple Actioner

Thanks for nice comments guys :)

@Tsunami ... I know ... my style looks very similar to gigers style , why ? Because I love giger and this painting was more like a homage to this excellent artist, if I really wanted to copy his work I could take any of his paintings and slap some face (Natalie Portman's photo from comp) on it and I could call it my original artwork.
    Of course that would be the most stupid think to do that I can imagine. On my PC I have more than 400 gigers works and I browse them every day looking for inspiration. Every day I find something new.
    Also I did a lot of paintings in Photoshop years ago before I even new about Gigers existence, with similar style as giger, mostly it was Cyborgs, Androids, a lot of blood, machinery, bones, dead bodies etc LOL.
    After I found giger works somewhere on the internet I've spend a lot of time studying his work, eventually I developed few techniques which make my paintings look similar to giger style.
    I'm still very new to airbrushing, only started like a year ago (finished only few paintings), still trying to find my own style, It's not easy, especially if you draw stuff from your imagination, you end up drawing something you know, something you are familiar with, you don't even know it, as I said, I've spent so much time looking at giger paintings that I somehow adopted his style, and I don't feel bad about it... I'm not copying his work, just using similar style sometimes... maybe one day I will be able to develop my own unique style, maybe something even better then gigers... who knows :p ... anyway....

Thanks for nice comments guys and make sure you check my next painting in the near future, because I'm aiming very high with my next project, I want to make something 10x better then my latest work !
  10. jagardn

Damn, your on to me! Could have been the nipple pumps too, quite the turn on! :)
  11. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight Code Dragon Slayer Admin

I came to the same conclusion and vowed to put boobs in my next competition piece. Lol lol :)
  12. Sitni

Sitni Needle-chuck Ninja Very Likeable!

to Giger or not to giger? ..... lol C'mon guys all the artworks are great and we all learned something out of it. That is whole point .
    My work did not get any votes but no bigy, I enjoyed painting it. Giger is not my preferred Biomech style cause i don't have any :), but my vote vent to Theron cause he did a very good job.He did a very well balanced piece and he totally got me with it. Respect!
    All i can say now .....Resistance is futile :) airbrush is calling....back to work!
  13. ad fez

ad fez kind of a big deal = Admington

I think next time to save arguement we should just say "paint something"
  14. jagardn

Don't we do that already for POM? :eek-new:
  15. ad fez

ad fez kind of a big deal = Admington

Oh yer. ... and we still get arguments there. ... I may just have to resign myself to the fact that "you can't please Em all" Thanks for peeing on my bonfire jeff
  16. Kajzer

Kajzer Young Tutorling

how many of you here are pros?
    not lot?
    purpose of this competition (as others) is to push your work to the limit.
    as we all are mostly amateurs, you cant expect to get an extremely original idea.
    most of works here are copys or reference of some work from internet, Giger is just most recognisable.
    copying is great way to learn, its not a bad thing, i drive my students to copy as much as they can.
    heck, i studyed 20yrs ago by copying.
    and i still do that from time to time, i copy rembrandt or caravaggio. just to stay in shape.

problem here is that there was no categorys to separate competators to good and better.
    there was really good works, and there was bad ones, and of course, you cant put them all in same basket.
    prizes should go to one of the good ones (and i belive that has hapen here), and one from the bad ones as an incentive to continue building his/hers potential.
    thats all.
    and my opinion is, facebook voting can not be indicator of best work.
    too much family involvement :D

My congratulations to the winner.
  17. flycatchr

flycatchr Detail Decepticon!

My understanding is that the facebook votes will choose the top ten, from which a panel of judges will decide the winner
  18. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Mod

Wow, a lot of angst over something that is a bit of fun. To do a bio-mech painting and not have anything at all Gigerish about it somewhere would be a challenge as he is the godfather of the genre. (My personal opinion is that if it doesn't have anything in it that reminds me of Giger, is it really bio-mech? Other artists are more organic, or have their own signature features, but that's just me, and I'm biased cos I love Giger Lol) But it doesn't matter if it's completely original or an exact copy to me. I may be wrong, but I think the point of the comp is a bit of fun that encourages you to try something new, that will hopefully push you to improve your skills and discover you can more than you think you can. If you entered the comp, and you were able to do that, you are a winner on a personal level. The actual prize is just a bit of an incentive to give some encouragement. If someone had done an exact copy of a Giger piece and just added the face, I wouldn't care, they would deserve every vote they got because they dug deep and tried something new. Likewise if someone had created something totally original but slightly strayed from the bio-mech theme, it wouldn't matter. As long as they got something from participating, then the comp achieved what it set out to do. I think most people who enter know they probably won't win (I know I don't, I've never even got a vote LOL LOL LOL), but enter anyway, for fun and the challenge of it, and I hope everyone continues to do so. That way everyone can take part and enter anything they like (as long as it meets the rules re ref etc) and makes the comp it open to all from newbies to pros. No one should feel excluded because they feel they can't do this or that, besides it keeps things interesting and fun, we don't want to take ourselves too seriously do we lol? I hope not, that's why I like this forum. My favourite part of the comp is to see what everyone did, and I get amazed everytime by the ideas, and the skills shown. People spent their vote on the piece they liked best, and I'm sure everyones reasons were probably different. The pic I voted for wasn't even very bio-mech, I just liked it, does it matter - no. So lighten up people, we got something great going on here, lets not spoil it with nitpicking! This forum is awesome!!!! Thanks to everyone involved, from the organisers , participants, voters and prizegivers, and congrats to Theron. This comp isn't even over, and I'm already looking forward to the next one!
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  19. Russ Allen

Russ Allen Elite Member! Elite Member!

Alright already! Are we done here? Lets get back to something positive guys/gals. I say props to the winner, very well deserved!! I also say props to everyone who took the time to submit an entry! You are all winners in my book! I see not one single BAD painting at all! I thoroughly went through each painting, and picked each one a part (no Im no pro, but I love looking at anyones art and if I had the time, I would voice my opinions on each piece, and may still, just may take me a month, lol) to see what I saw in each painting that drew my attention. If you look at the works of art in this way, I will guarantee you that you will find the same! Props to each of you who entered and just because you got no votes, or just because you didn't win this round, don't sweat it, just keep pushing forward and enjoy each piece of art you create. In my minds eye, any time a person takes a blank canvas, and creates anything on it that they perceive as art, then that's exactly what it is, no matter what I may think of it, it is still a form of art!!!! Thanks to Mitch and the crew for all the hard work to set this up and to the many sponsors you always get to support our forum!!!
  20. Kajzer

Kajzer Young Tutorling

yeah?
    i dont know that (didnt read the whole thread, but shhhhh:eek:nthego:)
    if thats so, than im ok with it.
    nowhone will complain on teachers decision.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.