complete noob looking for guidance

Clutch

Needle-chuck Ninja
Hi all I guess this is how it all begins..

I first should state that I have stumbled upon this forum by deciding that I would like to add airbrushing into my tool for cake decorating. I don't have much of and art back ground aside from working with food but I can draw a very small bit if I really really really REALLY work at it , and then it looks slightly better than if a kindergartner had drawn it.

This being said, I ran across a tutorial done by Airbrushtutor of the space scene and thought HEY!! I think I can handle doing something similar to that. SOLD!! IM IN!!

Im working on currently getting my gear, I dont have a single piece yet but i should have a make shift studio with working paints with in the month. Now, this brings me to my topic

I get that I need to work dots, lines, daggers, fades and blends.. but where do I go from there? what do I practice on? Do i just cover a page in dots? then Lines then both ect??? I know I need to actually start spraying to really understand anything, but since I have never really felt a need to pursue art aside from decorating and food plating I guess I am not understanding what I should be doing?

How does one whom is artistically challenged begin to become less handicapped? For lack of a better way of saying it... Whats the fastest way to improve my lack of artistic confidence and skill?

Thank you in advance and I hope to be able to show you all something that doesn't make me sad and you all angry in the near future :)

Welcome clutch. Use the dots and daggers as practice and warm up exercises. Download 'the eye' and you'll be able to use the daggers to create something. Then there's snow leopard for practicing dots and blending.
From there put your mind to what you'd like to see on a cake and put it onto paper to practice.
If it helps - I'm in the same boat as you, total newb looking to add airbrushing to their skill toolbox.

Last edited:
thank you @JackEb I really appreciate the input. To clear my intentions up a little bit though, this started out as a desire for improvement on cakes but I am totally hooked. Everything i watch or read is sooooo fascinating that I want to pursue it more in depth than just spraying some templates on some sugar :).

dots and lines it is :) and to be totally honest im pretty scared of that eyeball

Reactions: jan
Welcome to the forum, Not much about cake decorating I can tell you about, but Illustration work on the other hand...
You came to the right place to learn, there is a wealth of information on this forum and a lot of people willing to help out. One thing to note, if you are going to have an airbrush specific to cake decorating, us it for nothing but. Even the Acrylic based paints have some stuff in them that should not go through an airbrush used for the food industry. There may also be some requirements necessary for the compressors used for preparing food.

If cake airbrushing, a clear pvc hose is recommended, so you can see moisture. Many hours of practice are needed to gain control of your airbrush, to learn your paint/food color/decorator color, and then practice with stencils and freehand skills to learn to build depth and dimension. Takes roughly 3-6 months to get decent control of all of these. I once heard 2 years as being a good timeline to fully learn and understand how to control your paint. With that said, every time you airbrush, you will get better as long as you take it serious, just remember to let the paint/color fly free if getting bored or frustrated. No use sticking to dots, daggers, and lines of if bores/frustrates you so much you give it up.

Question on paints... What and where should I get?? Primary opaques And translucys? As well as both blacks and whites? Or should I buy mixed colors?

The best thing to start with is generally a primary set. They usually have Red, Yellow, Blue, White and Black. The colors are transparent, Black and White are opaque/semi-opaque. What do you plan on painting? Automotive, Illustration, T-Shirts?
I personally prefer ETAC paints, but I also have Createx Illustration and Wicked.

Well for the most part I'm thinkin illustration and then I know what I need for cakes. Just been having an issue finding translucent colors. Everything seems to be opaque so i m a bit confused

Are you looking at airbrush specific paints? Most of them are transparent unless otherwise specified.

Illustration wise look at Com-Art, ETAC FX, or Createx Illustration. All of them are great for erasing and scratching techniques.

thank you @JackEb I really appreciate the input. To clear my intentions up a little bit though, this started out as a desire for improvement on cakes but I am totally hooked. ...

dots and lines it is :) and to be totally honest im pretty scared of that eyeball

Funny how one thing can unexpectedly turn into something else LOL. 2 1/2 yrs ago I first picked an airbrush up as I was looking at improving my backdrops in my vivariums. I had a few health issues that put everything on hold but now I'm hopefully back on track and doing vivariums backdrops is not on the agenda, I don't know where I want this journey to take me, maybe I'll just pick up the brush, play around with it, do a few challenges/ paint pals and let the journey guide me rather than me guide the journey. I was hooked after the first hour. So I know what you're going through !!

Welcome to the forum from Australia!
Since I really know NOTHING at all about cake decorating, maybe I ought not to suggest anything.
However, since [ like most of us here Lol! ] I'm so seriously addicted I can't help it, I'll try and help out.
Food dye, like really reduced paint, will flow very easily and without too much trouble through an airbrush.
And it washes out with just plain water.
I used to practice with it before I started using inks and paints, so I guess I have some [ limited ] experience with it.
As far as I can see, this is a game of trial, error and experience.
Each type of 'brush has it's uses and some may not be suited to your specific needs. Others will work consistently and beatifully for you.
I certainly hope you enjoy your time here.

I started to simply spray some stuff with a stencil, had no artistic background at all. Stumbled on this forum and bam got hooked. Went from not being able to do anything to some pretty cool things in a couple of months. Had to stop due to an injury and just coming back..... Once you learn to look and define shapes it starts to come together.

Welcome to the forum... Oh and before i bought my com art set i struggled heavily with paints. Bargain paint generally just isnt.

Hi and welcome from the uk.... nobody seems to have mentioned that if you do cake painting you must send regular samples to members who suffer from the munchies;)

Hi and welcome from the uk.... nobody seems to have mentioned that if you do cake painting you must send regular samples to members who suffer from the munchies;)

LOL I am pretty sure none of you would want what ever ends up on your door steps after traveling over the ocean blue ;)

Hi clutch from the uk. Just thought I would mention that in the Createx Wicked line, the trans paints are called 'Detail'.

With the advent of digital printing and the advances in food dye technology, almost all of what I've seen at my local cake shop [ just getting supplies, mind you! ] has been printed onto sheets of icing sugar and carefully added to the top?
Is this right?

Hey @splasha you are quite right.. aside from a few select sugar artists almost all the imagery you find on cakes and other edible sugar products, almost all of it is printed through a clean inkjet onto an edible paper and then applied.. you can check it out just search for edible images and you will find plenty of really cool info on it.. I believe you can use Photoshop style software for the image design so that makes it almost unlimited as to what you can put on a cake

You live in western Mass I want cake I live in eastern NY mass is only a short drive away lol goldens airbrush sets are good what part of western mass and where are getting paint and supplies from?

Back