Complete noob with bags of enthusiasm

C

Coley

Hi, the name's Coley and I'm from Merseyside, NW England. I've always loved art and creating things and it's always been a hobby I've come back to whenever I get the time. Mainly pencil, charcoal and watercolour. All self taught and my techniques are probably awful but it works for me and I really enjoy it. :welcoming:

I stumbled across some airbrushed art in Liverpool and was really impressed. I didn't realise the level of detail you could achieve so I looked up videos on YouTube, came across some amazingly talented people and was instantly hooked in.

Dying to give a try I rushed into getting one of those cheapo airbrush kits (with the ropey compressor with no tank that can't make its mind up about what pressure it wants and the white label airbrushes with a bite on the trigger that seems to change every time you pull it back). Needless to say they're a bit naff when if comes to freehand stuff but I'm still giving it a good go and having fun with stencils etc.

Gonna stick it out a couple more weeks with these but will be looking to upgrade pretty sharpish.

On that note, if anyone can point me in the direction of a decent compressor and airbrush combo for freehand art it would be hugely appreciated!!!

Thanks all, and looking forward to joining in the community.

P.S. Came here from your YouTube channel. Loving the vids! Keep 'em coming. :emmersed:

Hey coley welcome mate. ... 2nd member from Merseyside this week!!! Shouldn't you all be watching the football while the goings good.
Your story is pretty familiar and exactly howi started... if you can stay away from kits. .. airbrush and comp together can be overpriced and you don't always get the best brush. ... tend to be mediocre brush and comp. ... realistically what could you spend ona brush and comp...

Welcome to the forum from the US

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hi Coley,
Welcome to the forum.
For the equipment upgrade it all depends on what type of painting you want to do illustrations, automotive, models, computer game consoles etc. and the surfaces you want to spray on to, card, canvas, plastic, metal, T shirts etc. etc. AND most important, how much money you want to spend. :)
Cheers Mel

Thanks for the welcomes!

My passion's fine art so I'd like to have a go at detailed illustrations and freehand stuff on card or canvass but I'd also like to have a go at customising things (laptops, consoles and stuff). I'd like to be able to get good detail when airbrushing freehand.

I've been drooling over the Iwata Custom Micro CM-C (which is really daft because I've only used an airbrush twice so far :welcoming:) but seeing what some people do with it is truly amazing! I've not really seen many others. I appreciate it's probably completely overkill for a noob but at least I'd have no excuses if my work turns out bad lol.

I've probably got about £300 to spend atm but if splashing out more would make a big difference I'd consider hanging on a few weeks and paying more.

Thanks again!

Hi coley from Australia!

There’s lots of people in here with good advice to share and just as many informative threads. :)
With a little initiative and an open mind I’m sure you’ll be sorted in no time.

feel free to share your art too :)

Hi coley from Australia!

There’s lots of people in here with good advice to share and just as many informative threads. :)
With a little initiative and an open mind I’m sure you’ll be sorted in no time.

feel free to share your art too :)

Yeah, I've been having a look around. Everyone seems really helpful and I've already taken in so much great advice that I didn't have a clue about.

I'll definitely share my work (although everyone on here looks like they'll put me to shame but you've got to start somewhere right? :))

Hello and welcome from the US....buy the best you can afford, you will get best performance if you stick with better name brands such as : Iwatta, Badger, Harder & Steenbeck, and even Pache for some.

welcome from honduras,hope you can call this place home as i do!!!:triumphant:

Cheers ulltraz.

Hello and welcome from the US....buy the best you can afford, you will get best performance if you stick with better name brands such as : Iwatta, Badger, Harder & Steenbeck, and even Pache for some.

Thanks for the advice shadow. Will do!

Hi Coley, Hope your not one of them toffee supporters as I'm still smarting at monday nights result! So as you may have guessed im on the other side of the country to you ... in the North East.

As for airbrushes you will get the best detail out of say a micron or an infinity but this will cost you ...it is a big investment of time, patience and practice. I have a Harder & Steinbeck Infinity and she is one hell of an infuriating frustrating bitch. She demands her paint reduced just right , insists on having the air pressure spot on and wont even entertain me if I'm not on my game! Why ... because I'm inexperienced, dont practice enough and im not methodical with my paint/air mixes.

I'm not trying to put you off getting the best you can afford .... far from it, I dont want you to get frustrated and give up. I have seen an improvement in my work and temper since I bought my badger krome and spirit (more forgiving and no issues) I will get my infinity out again ... just not yet!

As for a comp .... just make sure it has a tank (no matter how small the tank is) That said bigger is better (and louder unfortunatly)

Hi Coley from a fellow Brit down on the south coast. You get what you pay for in an airbrush so definitely follow the advice already given. As for a comp, if noise isn't an issue just get a half decent one from a hardware/ tool shop (just make sure it has a tank and isn't oil less) and more money towards your gun. You could build a box to silence it if you're handy, or if you're a tinkerer swap out the motor for a fridge motor (there are threads on this around here if you search). If noise is a real problem then a make like Bambi is good, although pretty expensive.

Hi Coley, Hope your not one of them toffee supporters as I'm still smarting at monday nights result! So as you may have guessed im on the other side of the country to you ... in the North East.

As for airbrushes you will get the best detail out of say a micron or an infinity but this will cost you ...it is a big investment of time, patience and practice. I have a Harder & Steinbeck Infinity and she is one hell of an infuriating frustrating bitch. She demands her paint reduced just right , insists on having the air pressure spot on and wont even entertain me if I'm not on my game! Why ... because I'm inexperienced, dont practice enough and im not methodical with my paint/air mixes.

I'm not trying to put you off getting the best you can afford .... far from it, I dont want you to get frustrated and give up. I have seen an improvement in my work and temper since I bought my badger krome and spirit (more forgiving and no issues) I will get my infinity out again ... just not yet!

As for a comp .... just make sure it has a tank (no matter how small the tank is) That said bigger is better (and louder unfortunatly)

Haha, I am an Everton supporter for my sins. We're doing better than I thought we would at the start of the season. :)

That's great advice about the Infinity - I think all the fiddling would drive me insane especially when I'm trying to get to grips with the very basics. Already had a nightmare trying to reduce paints. Lady in the shop convinced me I could thin Wicked paints with water but I'm not having much joy at all. ordered some w-100 reducer, hopefully that'll help.

Maybe something more forgiving might be better in the short term...

Hi Coley from a fellow Brit down on the south coast. You get what you pay for in an airbrush so definitely follow the advice already given. As for a comp, if noise isn't an issue just get a half decent one from a hardware/ tool shop (just make sure it has a tank and isn't oil less) and more money towards your gun. You could build a box to silence it if you're handy, or if you're a tinkerer swap out the motor for a fridge motor (there are threads on this around here if you search). If noise is a real problem then a make like Bambi is good, although pretty expensive.

Hi Squishy, noise isn't a problem for me but it might be for the wife, kids and the neighbours lol. A lot of my free time is quite late at night so it might be a factor unfortunately. :( Thanks for the advice.

iwata make some good quiet compressors with built in tanks. They are not totally quiet like the bambi but they are not as expensive (still not cheap though) I use one in the house and I dont get any complaints. I think the range is called powerjet/smarjet or something like that. The bambi's are as quiet as your fridge. I had one until it seized up. Too expensive to fix with oem parts!
Dont buy one of the little air nailer compressors as they are louder than a normal compressor .... you will have a heart attack everytime it starts to charge the tank especially if you are concentrating on some fine detail :hororr:

Hi Coley,
Ok this will take you over £300 but it's the cheapest I've found so far, you may be able to find cheaper if you search.

Bambi BB24V compressor, oil filled and quiet as a fridge. It is powerful enough that you should never need to get a bigger one (I wish I had one) and the 24 litre air tank will give you plenty of silent air before the motor kicks in again to re-fill. I've never used one but I'm sure there is someone on this forum that uses one and can tell you more. The cheapest Bambi models in this range are £10 and £20 quid cheaper but for the difference you might as well get this one but that's up to you. Be aware these compressors are heavy.

Cheapest I found including delivery £271 Bambi BB24V Compressor - Silent Air - Budget Range (24 Litres, 0.5 HP)

For a first decent airbrush I would recommend an Iwata HP-CS 0.35mm, I have an HP-SBS which is the same but side feed and I love it.
Very reliable, easy to clean and forgiving with paint. Iwata airbrushes also hold their price if you ever decide to sell it which you probably won't :)

Cheapest I found £119 + delivery Iwata Eclipse CS Airbrush | Iwata Airbrushes

So for the compressor and the airbrush that's almost £400. This is only my suggestion and I'm sure others will have good options for you and I'm not an expert. I only wish I'd bought this set up when I started, it would have saved me a lot of money. I have a smaller, less powerful Quiet compressor (not Bambi) and I love it, I can work day and night and not bother anyone.

I've never used one but a lot of people recommend the Badger Krome which has both 0.3mm and 0.2mm included.

Cheers Mel

Mel ... the Bambi price is before VAT from Airsupplies so make that £325 with Vat.

Forget the Iwata's I didnt realise the price of them!
MyPower jet pro retails for £420 inc Vat! I paid £50 off ebay (used) and it came with an Iwata Eclipse SAR airbrush ... they even threw in half a gallon of golden bronze spray tan fluid (Does this mean I can look like Mitch?) :friendly_wink:

Mel ... the Bambi price is before VAT from Airsupplies so make that £325 with Vat.QUOTE]

You are so right Talla. In that case you might as well order from the same supplier as the Iwata HP-CS I showed you and they also do free delivery over £100 (I didn't see that before). Bambi Budget Silent Compressors | Bambi Budget Range

Ho Humm up goes the price again :) BB24V £326 + HP-CS £119 = £445 or BB8 £302 + £119 = £421 including delivery at GraphicAir.co.uk

Back