Compressor advice

R

Ronan

Newbie question:

So I went and bought an air compressor for cleaning R/C cars and many other reasons. Then I realised I might be able to airbrush with this new toy. Can I use a big 180LPM, 2HP compressor with a 50L tank for airbrushing, or is it too "beefy"? It has a pressure regulator and pressure gauge. Obviously I would be using it to airbrush R/C lexan bodies, which use water based polycarbonate paint. Seeing as it's water-based, do I need a water trap?

Also I guess I should take this opportunity to ask what a good, simple airbrush is to start off with. As I understand it, double action brushes are going out of fashion. Is this true and is it a good idea to avoid them as a newcomer?

Hi Ronan - you can't go too big with a compressor, only too small. Air flow can be limited so big is fine.
With your paints if you're using anything that could react with moisture or even oil in your paint then you will need a moisture trap. It's not just for water, but for oil as well.
A good simple airbrush i'd recommend an Iwata Eclipse. Less headaches, good quality and you will only need one.
No, it certainly isn't true that dual action is going out of fashion. Dual action should be considered the norm, single action if you're only ever painting one color and the tone of the color doesn't matter. After 2 days practise with a dual action, you will be able to create images that would take 2 days to create with a single action in about an hour.
If you're only masking an painting one color - no blends, then yes a single action and just get the cheapest airbrush you can find. It will cause you headaches when it clogs up and you won't be able to get much help for troubleshooting, but maybe you'll get lucky and get one that doesn't give so many headaches?

They're my recommendations :D

With your paints if you're using anything that could react with moisture or even oil in your paint then you will need a moisture trap. It's not just for water, but for oil as well.
Can you please point me in the direction of a good moisture trap?

A good simple airbrush i'd recommend an Iwata Eclipse. Less headaches, good quality and you will only need one.
I take it this is a double-action brush?

No, it certainly isn't true that dual action is going out of fashion. Dual action should be considered the norm, single action if you're only ever painting one color and the tone of the color doesn't matter. After 2 days practise with a dual action, you will be able to create images that would take 2 days to create with a single action in about an hour.
If you're only masking an painting one color - no blends, then yes a single action and just get the cheapest airbrush you can find. It will cause you headaches when it clogs up and you won't be able to get much help for troubleshooting, but maybe you'll get lucky and get one that doesn't give so many headaches?

They're my recommendations :D

Usually when painting an R/C body you use a series of masks to create the layering. That said, there are "nicer" bodies and techniques that you can use which dont use masks and you just blend different colours, so a dual action would help with that Im assuming. Thanks for the help :)

Yes, Ronan, the Eclipse is a double action brush and will DEFINATELY help with your blending.
It only requires a relatively small amount of practice to achieve very anazing results from it.
You'll have professional looking paint jobs in a short while.
There are some other RC enthusiasts on here and I'm sure one will be along soon to help out.

Back