Compressor Advice

S

Sharkfat

Hey guys,

I've just had a studio/mancave built and I've set up a little spray booth. I have two compressors at the moment. A small cheapo airbrush compressor with a 3 litre ish tank, and the loudest compressor in the world with a 50 litre tank. I've been using this to spray liquid mask with a spray gun and blow tools down etc.

I was going to ditch them both and get a Bambi compressor or something but one that is quiet. But I'm not sure if a Bambi compressor would power some spray guns. I'm not sure exactly what I'll be doing later on so I'm trying to future proof any equipment I buy.

I'm in the UK and only really looking to spend £350. If you guys could send some advice my way it'd be much appreciated :)

I see your "loudest compressor in the world" and raise it lol. I'm in the UK, so if you hear what sounds like a thunderstorm shagging a pneumatic drill inside an echo chamber made of tin, which has speakers wired directly into the pits of hell where the eternal screams of the damned wail at the sound of fingernails scraping down a chalk board...you'll know I switched my compressor on.

My neighbours adore me.

This is 8 quid over your budget, but should run your spray guns. I wouldn't go smaller. http://aircompressors.co.uk/Product/0000000079/BB24

50 litre would be better, but that's big money for a silent one. You might find a Jun-air or Sil-air.

I think you need over 100 liters of air a minute to run a spraygun. Size of tank is not relevant if the motor can't keep up with whatever is draining it.

My main compressor is 250, but have a 50 that has been used at other peoples houses, it runs a spray gun fine, and is good for occasional use. Someone borrowed it to spray their camper van. Frequent use will kill a motor though as Andre says.

With the Bambi I linked, I was actually thinking of a mini hvlp as that is what I mostly use - my bad. However that size gun is great for motorbikes etc. So it depends on what you want to spray I guess.

Yeah I've got a mini spray gun. I've been using it to spray liquid mask onto the inside of RC car bodies. Takes half the time of using a brush (even with cleaning) and does a better job. I've used my 50 litre compressor with it with no problems but having it on the go would do my head in lol.

Hopefully I'll be able to do various arty farty things later on and a mini spray gun will be more than adequate for that.

Edit: Just noticed the BB24D does 100 lph. Not sure whether the extra 50 litres a minute is worth the extra £200 + though :/

Back