Compressor for Iwata Eclipse HP-CS

J

Johnny keppekman

I’m moving from a home wedded pump and tank using a Badger to an IWATA Eclipse. I’ve tried using my homemade compressor with the Eclipse (shooting gouache) but the paint wont atomize finely. Compressor only sustains about 23-25 pounds. Seems I need 35 or so at least. I’d be grateful for compressor recommendations that will work with the Eclipse. Any ideas? It will get ocasional, sustained use but not 40 hours a week. Gratefully, Johnny

with any paint you push through an airbrush it needs the appropriate pressure for the viscosity. if your current compressor wont do it then maybe reducing your paint a little more will assist.
as for recomendations for a compressor that would depend on what is available to you, what your budget is , what your noise considerations are. . . .

This is your first post, it would have been polite to head to the introduction section and let us know a bit of basic info like where you live, what you like to paint, what got you started with an airbrush, what gear you have (this one is just because we're nosey :) )

I’m moving from a home wedded pump and tank using a Badger to an IWATA Eclipse. I’ve tried using my homemade compressor with the Eclipse (shooting gouache) but the paint wont atomize finely. Compressor only sustains about 23-25 pounds. Seems I need 35 or so at least. I’d be grateful for compressor recommendations that will work with the Eclipse. Any ideas? It will get ocasional, sustained use but not 40 hours a week. Gratefully, Johnny
By chance are you trying to use your "badger" hose? and what type of badger? Do you get a way more than normal pressure burst when you first push the trigger?
I ask because some badger style hoses actually have a restrictive orifice in the connectors and will give you this issue.

when I shoot straight out of bottle black or white wicked opague color I need around 50 psi with 0.5 needle.

Seems I jumped the gun here. I'm sorry! Jack, I live in Bellingham WA and have been a sculptor, painter, prof for years (John.Keppelman.com). I'm using the airbrush with stencils made from aluminum plate to make very minimalist solid and broken black line compositions like the installation piece on the website. Mostly black (ivory) gouache on white paper. Robby, your response to my compressor question got me looking at my compressor and thinking about the hose orifice. I found a loose connection on the Badger hose which I tightened and now I get a sustained running pressure at the tank of 26 lbs. I've ordered the Iwata hose. Seems I need to have the Iwata hose and the Eclipse in line to know the running pressure. I mix the tube gouache with water in the cup with a sable brush. How well the Eclipse atomizes that mixture will be the text. I have 2 Badgers, old and newish 150's. Thanks for the prompt!

Seems I jumped the gun here. I'm sorry! Jack, I live in Bellingham WA and have been a sculptor, painter, prof for years (John.Keppelman.com). I'm using the airbrush with stencils made from aluminum plate to make very minimalist solid and broken black line compositions like the installation piece on the website. Mostly black (ivory) gouache on white paper. Robby, your response to my compressor question got me looking at my compressor and thinking about the hose orifice. I found a loose connection on the Badger hose which I tightened and now I get a sustained running pressure at the tank of 26 lbs. I've ordered the Iwata hose. Seems I need to have the Iwata hose and the Eclipse in line to know the running pressure. I mix the tube gouache with water in the cup with a sable brush. How well the Eclipse atomizes that mixture will be the text. I have 2 Badgers, old and newish 150's. Thanks for the prompt!
I run a badger brand hose sometimes and its fine, but i also have a couple of non badger, badger style hoses that would not work right, Looking in the end of the conector i saw that the opening in the connector is like motorcycle carb pilot jet sized.
It will work but i have to run 40-50psi at the compressor to get what sounds to me like about 20-25 coming out of the gun after a harsh initial burst.
Anyways glad youre loooking through it thoroughly before just jumping into a new compressor.... between badger brushes and iwata they really should run about the same off the same compressor unless theres a huge difference in nozzle size. So i figure it must be another factor for yours as well....Pretty much just leaves the hose....idk im sure youll get it sorted.

Moving along, I got the Iwata hose to fit the new Eclipse. The female hose fitting (1/8"?) doesn't fit the tiny badger male on the compressor. Removing the (Badger?) atadaptor, I'm left with 1/4" male pipefitting at the compressor gage. Local hardware store says the iwata hose end is not a pipe thread and sent me online. There must be an adaptor to go between (male or female) 1/4" pipe threads and the iwata hose end. There's a sea of them online but I'd like to have them in hand... What I did instead is buy a prepared assortment online that has several that look useful. Fingers crossed!

Last edited by a moderator: