Compressor playing up

G

Grimmy

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could help. Over the last month or so my AS-186 compressor as been noisier than usual at times - it has also started to splutter and cut out & yesterday it just stopped working completely for a while - when I tried to touch the top I realised it had really overheated to the point where I unplugged it and moved it out of the room from me. Eeek!
Is there a way to fix this... or should I just think about buying another compressor? If so then I'm thinking of buying another AS-186 but not sure if there is a better option for this price range?

thanks

Grimmy

Studio compressors are designed for short usage periods of 30 minutes to an hour. What happens it because it is a oil-less compressor the bearing in the engine over heat causing the factory grease to flow off the bearing and it makes the motor work harder to try and keep up.
The extra strain on the electric motor back feeds the system causing it to shut down.
Here is how I work a cost analyst here at work , Say the compressor cost you 200 dollars new , It lasted 2 years which makes it yearly cost 100 dollars a year. The replacement compressor cost 500 dollars and is on it's 12th year which work out to 41.66 dollars a year so for the money spent the higher dollar compressor is the better buy.
I also use this same thing on my lawn business I run outside my day job.
A buddy of mine buys 2 two push mowers a year at a cost of 250.00 each 500 for the pair. They last him a year. that is 500 dollars a year loss where I bought 2 mowers 13 years ago for 600.00 each 1200.00 total so as of right now they only cost me 92.00 dollars a year which mean more profit.
what this really means is a little research goes a long way and saves you lots of money over the years. Same with the compressor I have at the house one is about 30 years old and still runs like new and the other is about 12 years old (Bought it the same time I bought one here at my day job just for the better pricing :D) The 30 year old one is a 2 phase 250 gallon tank that runs my car lifts and air tools and I paid 400 dollars for it 30 years ago. so 13 bucks a year is not to bad at all.
Now I did buy a studio compressor that I had used during the winter months in the basement it lasted a year never bought another one.
There are some really well made , long usage silent compressors on the market that will last you a long long time and while the initial investment may sound a lot up front the final cost years from now makes it worth it.

Studio compressors are designed for short usage periods of 30 minutes to an hour. What happens it because it is a oil-less compressor the bearing in the engine over heat causing the factory grease to flow off the bearing and it makes the motor work harder to try and keep up.
The extra strain on the electric motor back feeds the system causing it to shut down.
Here is how I work a cost analyst here at work , Say the compressor cost you 200 dollars new , It lasted 2 years which makes it yearly cost 100 dollars a year. The replacement compressor cost 500 dollars and is on it's 12th year which work out to 41.66 dollars a year so for the money spent the higher dollar compressor is the better buy.
I also use this same thing on my lawn business I run outside my day job.
A buddy of mine buys 2 two push mowers a year at a cost of 250.00 each 500 for the pair. They last him a year. that is 500 dollars a year loss where I bought 2 mowers 13 years ago for 600.00 each 1200.00 total so as of right now they only cost me 92.00 dollars a year which mean more profit.
what this really means is a little research goes a long way and saves you lots of money over the years. Same with the compressor I have at the house one is about 30 years old and still runs like new and the other is about 12 years old (Bought it the same time I bought one here at my day job just for the better pricing :D) The 30 year old one is a 2 phase 250 gallon tank that runs my car lifts and air tools and I paid 400 dollars for it 30 years ago. so 13 bucks a year is not to bad at all.
Now I did buy a studio compressor that I had used during the winter months in the basement it lasted a year never bought another one.
There are some really well made , long usage silent compressors on the market that will last you a long long time and while the initial investment may sound a lot up front the final cost years from now makes it worth it.
Math lesson 101 from the professor lololol!!

Hi Mr Micron, Thanks for very much for that comprehensive response! And yes, it makes total sense what you are saying.
Before I saw your response I was looking at this model below... because I have a spraygun in my art studio which I've never used (because my as186 couldn't power it). But maybe I'm just complicating things & should focus on a good quality, oil lubricated compressor with less power for my airbrush.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Powerplus-Portable-Lubricated-Compressor-POWX1760/dp/B00E9SWFK2
thanks

Grimmy

Wishing I had come here before buying my compressor:( Well, I have to pay for this one before I can think of getting another.

Hence why i bought a 21 gallon oil lube compressor. It runs everything i need plus... and should last years.

Mr. Micron is totally right about big compressors:) But when ABing in at home those won't do due to unbearable noise an voltage:) When it stands in separate room it's the best variant.
Among good thoughts about the compressor is DIY with one or better a couple of old motor-compressors from the fridges.

Concerning your AS. I know people install small fans above the pistons and it's kinda help. That yours stopped it should termal protection worked. After cooling for some time your compressor should start again. I had 196 which is 2 piston type, there was no problem with it. 2 piston is heated less.
In general when buyinf special AB compressor it would be better to buy 2 piston type.

Back