compressor

J

J0KER1977

Hi can some one help me by explaining about compressors I have a very very small compressorbut don’t know if I need to go out and buy a bigger one, I have heard that there is some with reserve tanks but I don’t know what that means, do I need one with a reserve tank?. I have been airbrushing for about 3 month now and when I am airbrushing the paintis spluttering out of the airbrush my airbrush is new. I think it might be the compressor but I am not sure

HI the spluttering could be caused by the compressor not having a storage tank, as the compressor pumps air it will cause a pulse of pressure as the piston inside it moves up and down like a car engine making the air flow out of the airbrush uneven, you can normally tell by small lite patches evenly spaced out when painting a line.
A reserve tank is just a container that can hold a volume of compressed air, this volume of air acts like a shock absorb er for the pulse hence eliminating the fluctuation in air pressure to the airbrush giving a smooth constant air flow of even pressure.
a reserve tank can be something as simple as a car Tyre using the tube as the reserve tank or a compressor that has a tank built in.
I use a small 4 kg gas bottle that i have connected to my airbrush compressor acting like the reserve tank, this setup works really well and holds more compressed air than the commercial ones.
I will post a pic asap.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Joker, i've never used a diaphragm compressor - the ones that run all the time - but i have seen people having problems exactly like phoenix is saying - they get uneven paint flow.
definitely look for a compressor with a storage tank as it will deliver consistent airflow.
Always remember, you get what you pay for!

Tank you guys for the advice i will start looking for a new compressor

As already stated you can just add an inline tank of some description ,Just remember to add a water trap to avoid other problems .My small AB compressor without a tank is the run on demand type and will maintain 30psi without pulsing .I generally use a lot less psi than that so its never been an issue .

Tomorrow my compressor will arrive :D i had a smal garage type compressor i use as working as a carpenter but living in an appartment that wasnt to good,
the noise was extreem!! now im getting a SIL-AIR 15A i realy want to start practise now :)

I had a small one that is a on demand type that was doing the same thing and i added another regulator in the middle of my hose. The second regulator helped with th pulsating, but you do need to get one with a tank!!! The little ones will heat up rapidly and you will find yourself dispersing the water from tour hose as much as you clean the tip dry off your airbrush!!! I burnt 2 of them up in less than a year because of the amount of use... thank god for warranties! !!!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

The SIL-AIR 15 A has a 1,5 litre tank that i think will work well for the pupose i will be using it for (Fishing lures) i also have a 6 litre spare tank that i can replace the 1,5 with if needed its also automatic on and of to that compressor, tomorrow practise begine :D

The SIL-AIR 15 A has a 1,5 litre tank that i think will work well for the pupose i will be using it for (Fishing lures) i also have a 6 litre spare tank that i can replace the 1,5 with if needed its also automatic on and of to that compressor, tomorrow practise begine :D

Your more than fine with just doing lures!! I was doing a lot of automotive AB at my painters shop and then painting small stuff at my house!!! Hope it works out for ya and i wanna see some lures, im a HUGE bass fisherman!!!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Thanks and as soon as i get something good enuff i will post up some pictures :) i never used a airbrush so im going to pratice a lot first

My question is if you have a small always on compressor, will it have issues filling a reserve tank? Say I purchased a 5gal tank, will my little compressor have issues/overheat trying to fill it?

My question is if you have a small always on compressor, will it have issues filling a reserve tank? Say I purchased a 5gal tank, will my little compressor have issues/overheat trying to fill it?

If you get enough air out of it without a tank then I think you will breath new live into it with a tank. But I think it will need to be wired to shut off when tank is full.

Hi can some one help me by explaining about compressors I have a very very small compressorbut don’t know if I need to go out and buy a bigger one, I have heard that there is some with reserve tanks but I don’t know what that means, do I need one with a reserve tank?. I have been airbrushing for about 3 month now and when I am airbrushing the paintis spluttering out of the airbrush my airbrush is new. I think it might be the compressor but I am not sure
Hi, type of compressor you need depends on the airbrush job you make. If you spray large surfaces with gun, then you need some bigger one with more air volume. Not necessarily with the tank. For this purpose you can take membran compressor, for example As-09. But if you make some fine details, would be better one with tank, as for example AS-186, because you don´t need such air volume, but you need smooth air output without pulse. This is what you get by using one with tank. Good luck! www.airbrush-fengda.de

Hi, type of compressor you need depends on the airbrush job you make. If you spray large surfaces with gun, then you need some bigger one with more air volume. Not necessarily with the tank. For this purpose you can take membran compressor, for example As-09. But if you make some fine details, would be better one with tank, as for example AS-186, because you don´t need such air volume, but you need smooth air output without pulse. This is what you get by using one with tank. Good luck! www.airbrush-fengda.de

This is from two years ago, the guy hasn't been back since, lol

Back