Compressors....dilemma

sevastra

Needle-chuck Ninja
I am sorry for the complete newbie questions from me constantly! I am looking at air compressors, and I'm not sure which one to go with

These are the ones i am considering:

http://www.coastairbrush.com/proddetail.asp?prod=4610A

http://www.coastairbrush.com/proddetail.asp?prod=4620A

http://www.coastairbrush.com/proddetail.asp?prod=6310

I would like not to have to spend the 395 for a compressor if i don't have to, but my knowledge on them is zero. Just looking for opinions on these, and what other people are using. Whats the difference etc? Thank you guys so much!

Also, why is CA Air Tools 6310 Oil-Free 1HP 6.3 Gallon Air Tank, less expensive than the CA Air Tools 4610A Oil-Free 1HP 4.6 Gallon Air Tank , when the first has a bigger tank?? I'm really confused.

Last edited:
You don't have to spend an arm or a leg for a compressor especially starting out. Just go to your local hardware store and get a small compressor 2 to 5 gal. capacity and get an adapter ( 1/8" to 1/4" to connect airbrush hose. Make sure the tank has a drain in bottom so it wont rust. Can usually get one for $50 to $80.

Any of those would be great . Are you gonna spray large items? Maybe ? Only thing I can say is get the biggest compressor you can afford. Hell a 1610 would be fine, just add a cheap external air storage tank later if you need it. Thats what i would do. You can also catch the CAT compressors on their Ebay page, or at Wayfair, also Home Depot on line. Shop around. The GMC syclone compressors are also the same thing with a different label. Made by CAT even.

Personally I have looked at them a lot . I bought an AB specific compressor first, mistake , yea it works, but not good enough for me. I made a DIY silent model. When that one dies, i plan on the 3010 CAT compressor. Right in the middle of tank sizes, and and as I said before, I cam always add another tank if needed. The same compressor is used on tanks ranging from 1.6-6.3 gal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You don't have to spend an arm or a leg for a compressor especially starting out. Just go to your local hardware store and get a small compressor 2 to 5 gal. capacity and get an adapter ( 1/8" to 1/4" to connect airbrush hose. Make sure the tank has a drain in bottom so it wont rust. Can usually get one for $50 to $80.

This is also sound advice. Especially if on a tight budget. Just know they are loud. I have a 5hp( rated) 20 gal in the garage too. Went smaller and quieter so I can paint in the basement year round.

I don't think any of my local stores carry small, quiet ones. I have brain swelling issues, and dealing with noise bugs the hell out of me. Thanks though :)

Any of those would be great . Are you gonna spray large items? Maybe ? Only thing I can say is get the biggest compressor you can afford. Hell a 1610 would be fine, just add a cheap external air storage tank later if you need it. Thats what i would do. You can also catch the CAT compressors on their Ebay page, or at Wayfair, also Home Depot on line. Shop around. The GMC syclone compressors are also the same thing with a different label. Made by CAT even.

Personally I have looked at them a lot . I bought an AB specific compressor first, mistake , yea it works, but not good enough for me. I made a DIY silent model. When that one dies, i plan on the 3010 CAT compressor. Right in the middle of tank sizes, and and as I said before, I cam always add another tank if needed. The same compressor is used on tanks ranging from 1.6-6.3 gal.

I will probably be airbrushing between 2-5 hours a day, some days maybe more. Working on large pieces. I think the prices threw me off, and the differences, i was flipping back and forth from product to product trying to figure out what each had and the others didn't.

I don't think any of my local stores carry small, quiet ones. I have brain swelling issues, and dealing with noise bugs the hell out of me. Thanks though :)
So sorry to hear about your condition, since you have specific needs, you might have to bite the bullet and save / spend the extra money. Good Luck!

So sorry to hear about your condition, since you have specific needs, you might have to bite the bullet and save / spend the extra money. Good Luck!

No worries. Yeah, I'm just not sure which one even out of those three I would go for. If i really need a 2 hp or not. And I guess the other two have one has a moisture trap and the other one doesn't. ha, its a conundrum!

Last edited:
With what you seem to have in mind, go with the 6310, 6 gal of air goes a ways, and it should support a mini gun in small doses if need be.

The 2hp is louder, if noise is an issue, stay at the 1hp size. That or save a ton of pennies and get a sil-air unit , very quiet , like 30 db, but way expensive.

The ones you listed are not the quietest you can get but it is for that price bracket. I have a local one with similar motor and it is quiet enough for me to work while my wife is sleeping in the room next door with the doors open.

With what you seem to have in mind, go with the 6310, 6 gal of air goes a ways, and it should support a mini gun in small doses if need be.

The 2hp is louder, if noise is an issue, stay at the 1hp size. That or save a ton of pennies and get a sil-air unit , very quiet , like 30 db, but way expensive.

Yeah, I have looked at the sil-air, I just can't spring for one of those sadly. I really wish I could. I was leaning towards the 6130, but also the 4620A, but that has a smaller tank, but more expensive, with 2hp. I guess what im asking is what is better, a bigger tank or more hps? If need be i can always wear ear plugs to drown out a little more sound.

Last edited:
Swings and roundabouts buddy. .... bigger tank means less operation of motor on terms of how many times is on. ... bigger motor means it fills tank quicker with less strain.... pick our choose

Back