Compressors for spray guns?

G

Grimmy

I recently bought a spray gun to cover wide areas quickly with the understanding that I could use my existing airbrush compressor (below) with it.
www.amazon.co.uk/FoxHunter-Airbrush-Compressor-Double-Airbrushes/dp/B004XP7K9W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404228213&sr=8-1&keywords=KMS+Airbrush+Kit+AS186+AS+186+with+Compressor

Maybe I'm doing something completely wrong but it doesn't work very well with the compressor - I've got to turn the pressure up full to get the spray gun to work and even then the compressor seems to run out after 2 or 3 short blasts.

I would really appreciate some advice... as I'm puzzled.
Thanks

I have that same compressor and that definitely would not run a spray gun, you need at the very least a decent size garage compressor, I have an airbrush that has o.8 nozzle I use for priming small items like the poists cards for paint pals and small model parts, but the compressor struggles even with that, if you keep trying to use it it will burn it'self out fairly quick, you don't say what spray gun your using or the nozzle size, but you'll need something that can deliver upwards of 12 bar with at least 25 litre tank.

Thanks for that help Madbrush, much appreciated - makes sense now. I should of researched things a bit more before I bought it!
I just wanted something that would hold quite a bit more paint than the average airbrush cup, for filling in larger areas etc but I never saw an airbrush with this feature. Thanks

It doesn't mention the nozzle size, in fact there is hardly any information for it at all, but it's going to be a minimum of 0.8, when choosing airbrush/spray gun combinations, it's very to handy to know what cubic feet per minute the spray equipments and the compressor can supply, the lack of info makes it impossible to make an educated decision.

But generally any spray gun at all requires a lot of CFM's, and certainly a lot more than your little airbrush compressor can handle, you can normally find decent size compressor fairly cheap at do it yourself shops, in your case B&Q and such, usually you will see 2 or 4 different sizes, simply choose the first one that exceeds 12 bar.

I believe that spray gun has a regulator that allows you to control the amount of air it uses, so I would assume you can also ease back on the paint, if you make your thinner, it's possible you get something out of it in the meantime, but as I say it will give up the ghost quickly if it's forced to run constantly.

Thanks for that info Madbrush. Yes it wasn't very informative at all - doesn't help when you are still at the figuring out stage. I've looked up the bigger compressors you suggested and I'm not sure I wanna jump up to that price for something that I won't use an awful lot but mainly because my studio is small and I'm not sure I have floor room for another bigger compressor. Even something with a wider nozzle and a bigger cup running off my existing compressor could probably work for what I want. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Friend of mine tried to upgrade and he found the larger compressors really loud in his studio.

Back