Compressors

Joe pulvirenti

Double Actioner
Hi there I have a sparmax 620x it has 2 outlets for two airbrushes and one regulater is it possible to add another one to control the air on the second airbrush just curious.

You can put a stand alone regulator inline no problem. Or an inline mac valve the grex g-mac is very good. Only down side with the mac valve is that you don't know what psi you have as there is no read out on it

Hi Joe,

I would say that if the two outlets are in-line and connected to a single pipe coming from the regulator, then the second outlet will receive air pressure at exactly the same rate as the first outlet. In this scenario:
  • One single pipe exits the air tank outlet, going straight into the regulator INTAKE inlet.
  • One single pipe out of the regulator valve exit outlet then splits to two outlets. I would guess this is probably the case.
Thus, in the predictable scenario above, if you wish to have the second outlet with an independent air pressure which may have to be different from the pressure going to the airbrush connected to the first outlet, you will be looking at a substantially different pipework. In my view, it would require a "T" splitter pipe coming out of the single outlet in the air receiver tank, meaning air would exit the tank at full pressure, then travel at that pressure through the two exits in the "T" splitter, each of these splitter exits would have to be connected to solid pipes of a suitable diameter and calibre (pipe wall thickness) so they can sustain full pressure until each pipe then reaches two separate regulator valves/filters. Then yes, you would be able to regulate REG. 1 to one pressure and REG. 2 to another pressure.

My strongest recommendation is to contact Sparmax Technical Support and ask for advice and how to go about doing that alteration. Compressors are sensitive beasts, best not to fiddle with them unless you are a professional technician who knows air compressor business inside out. Do not modify the air compressor yourself. Any warranty will be null and void instantly and if anything goes South, Sparmax will not accept liability... Not to mention a potentially serious risk to yourself.

There are two outlets so you can either swap between airbrushes easily or you can share your compressor with someone else and run two airbrushes at the same time.
If you wish to connect a second airbrush then I would do as @jord001 has suggested and run a MAC valve. If you put an inline Mac valve on both airlines you can then set the compressor higher than you normally would and adjust it with the MAC valve but like Jordo said, you don't have any accuracy in dialling in a pressure, but if you've been airbrushing for awhile you don't tend to watch 'numbers' and just dial it in until everything flows right.

This is the compressor set up for anyone not sure.
upload_2021-7-28_7-58-57.png

Thanks for the photo @JackEb :)

My assumption earlier is probably correct then... Both outlets stem from the same outlet in the regulator. A Mac valve is a pain in the neck though, for the reasons you pointed out. @Joe pulvirenti would have to change the pipework as I said earlier above. I wouldn't though; not without a good discussion with Sparmax Technical Support.

Thanks for the photo @JackEb :)

My assumption earlier is probably correct then... Both outlets stem from the same outlet in the regulator. A Mac valve is a pain in the neck though, for the reasons you pointed out. @Joe pulvirenti would have to change the pipework as I said earlier above. I wouldn't though; not without a good discussion with Sparmax Technical Support.
for the pressure we work at there is no specific psi required , I have a MAC valve and adjust accordingly

Thanks gang for all your inputs I think I will stick with a Mac valve when I can afford one.
The Grex G-Mac is a great Mac Valve, it has a larger dial with loads of adjustment. I have two Iwata Mac valves (no quick connect on those) but there is very little adjustment so they now sit in my drawer.
OzAirbrush is one of our members but I haven't seen him around for awhile, He has a website with Grex gear and Etac Paints
this is the link to the website and the MacValve, this one will suit the Iwata & H&S brushes (other variants available for Badger or Paasche brushes)
It comes with the one quick connect adapter for the airbrush so if you buy additional adapters for your other brushes you can just change your brush in seconds.
https://www.ozairbrush.com/G-MAC-Grex-Micro-Air-Control-Valve-p114010255
$32.50 (+shipping)

upload_2021-7-29_7-36-4.png

Back