Confused : opaque + transparent base= transparent color??

M

maffie

hello,

I'm a bit confused about all the information.
I read that if you add transparent base to an opaque color it will be transparent.
But: if you later transparent colors they will get darker right?
But : if you delute an opaque color with transparent paint, whats making him transparent,
The the color should not get darker with every layer, right? Its only making it more opaque, not darker, right?

It will not become a "true" transparant. You will be reducing the amount of pigment which will make it reach opacity more slowly giving the impression it became transparant. You will with enough layers reach full opacity at some point though while a "true" transparant will always "show" the color beneath it.

-layering transparants makes it darker as the amount of pigment on the paper increases (pigment covers more of the paper). If every white part of the paper has pigment on it it won't get any darker though (just more wet :))
-adding transparant paint to a opaque will just affect the opaque as adding an opaque to it the collor changes depending on what color you add. The transparant will just become an opaque when mixed with an opaque.

I did a little article on this: http://www.airbrushforum.org/threads/transparants-opaques-reducing-and-viscosity.12903/

Last edited:
Hi maffie,
head to the airbrush tutor site and check out this one,
http://www.airbrushtutor.com/how-to-blend-color-correctly/
although youre not trying to match skin tone, but from memory there is a good example in there about opaque / transparents and how they behave
I know that video, I watch his video's over and over, learning a lot of him. I understand the difference of opaque and transparent. I try to ask my question different:
At 5:00 minutes of the video, he's layering a transparent yellow over it.
If you would add more layers of transparent yellow over it, it builds up and getting darker every layer.
If you would change the transparent yellow with a opaque yellow mixed with transparent base, and you do the same thing, Will the paint will still act like a opaque that build up slower as only opaque, or will it act the same like the transparent yellow in the video?
A opaque color would not get darker then its own color. The way i see it, a transparant base add to it, can make it look like it is transparent, But cant make Him act. Add transparent base can not make the opaque yellow to getting darker every layer..only more opaque, right?

It will not become a "true" transparant. You will be reducing the amount of pigment which will make it reach opacity more slowly giving the impression it became transparant. You will with enough layers reach full opacity at some point though while a "true" transparant will always "show" the color beneath it.

-layering transparants makes it darker as the amount of pigment on the paper increases (pigment covers more of the paper). If every white part of the paper has pigment on it it won't get any darker though (just more wet :))
-adding transparant paint to a opaque will just affect the opaque as adding an opaque to it the collor changes depending on what color you add. The transparant will just become an opaque when mixed with an opaque.

I did a little article on this: http://www.airbrushforum.org/threads/transparants-opaques-reducing-and-viscosity.12903/

Yes, that is what I mean! Thank you!

Any opaque paint mixed with a transparent base will just make it a weaker opaque paint, we call it semi-opaque. lighter layers of this combination will result in less pigment being added to the surface as haasje mentioned as it creates "gaps" in that pigment layer which make it feel kind of transparent but add enough layers and fill those gaps and it just becomes an opaque. Some call opaques "capped" colors because unlike a transparent they will only go so dark and once you reach that full layer gap filling it wont go darker but just cover more of the base underneath it..Adding white to any transparent will "cap" that color and turn your transparent into a true opaque but you can't turn an opaque into a true transparent. The white involved blocks the light from bouncing of lower layers and back to the viewers eyes.

Back