Consistent Air Pressure

otpowell

Double Actioner
Hi, I'm having trouble getting consistent air pressure at low pressures.. I set my regulator @ 15 and before I know it, I am down to zero. Any suggestions? I am waiting on a MAC valve, it's in the mail. How do people usually use a MAC valve? Should I set my regular @ 60psi and make the fine PSI adjustments with the MAC valve?

Hello mate, what type of compressor are your using? Does it have a tank? Give us a bit more info and we should be able to help:)

As Cordyk stated more information is helpful, But when I am dialing in low air pressure I keep the trigger down so I know I have 5 or what ever PSI ,
I have yet set my compressor past 40 PSI even with my spray guns.

Hi, just received my MAC valve today.. I also received a bunch of paint and a crown cap for my brush.. As for my compressor, it's a husky 20gallon tank rated @ 4.3SCFM @ 90 PSI. I'm thinking the Mac valve will help? What's the best way to use a MAC valve?

Hi OT - just as Micron was hinting at - make sure you set your air pressure with your air held down - however it sounds more likely that the problem is the pressure switch on your compressor - it's as if the pressure in your tank is running too low and your pressure switch isn't functioning to turn the compressor motor on. Perhaps you can look into this and see what adjustments you can make?
if it's a small mac valve then you can set it up in line with your airbrush, just below the airbrush's inlet and you can either set the compressor at the desired pressure i.e. 30PSI and simply lower the air pressure on the mac valve if you over reduce paints. There's no harm in setting your compressor to 60PSI however and controlling your PSI via your MAC valve, so long as you know the ideal pressures to work with.
hope this helps:eagerness:

How do you set you regulator? Setting it to 15psi when not using will remove aprox 5-10psi when triggered depending on the gun and hose used. I will suggest press your airbrush trigger for air and set the regulator while air is on. When depress (air off) you will see your regulator reading rise but this is the reading of the psi that it receives from the tank and not what is output. Try and let us know.
As for the MAC valve, i do not have airbrushes that uses this but it is a more finer control of the air supply and to gives you more control over the air received while painting. So no need to go for the regulator and set the output. But it is also limited to a range of air supply. Remember it is only for fine tuning. I will suggest you get used to the proper air output from the regulator first and when you get the right balance for air-paint-movement, then switch to the MAC valve setting.
Let us know about the results

B

Hi, it's not my pressure switch because my motor always kicks on @ 125 PSI and goes back up to 155.. I think it's because I am setting my regulator wrong like you and Mr. Micron said.. I'm turning my regular to the off position too much and it isn't allowing the air back into my line from my tank.. I will hold the trigger down as suggested. What PSI to people usually use for the really fine details like a tiger fur? 20? Also, how is the viscosity of the paint, if you are using spectra-tex, do you reduce it a little? Thanks everyone for all the help & replies..

Hi, it's not my pressure switch because my motor always kicks on @ 125 PSI and goes back up to 155.. I think it's because I am setting my regulator wrong like you and Mr. Micron said.. I'm turning my regular to the off position too much and it isn't allowing the air back into my line from my tank.. I will hold the trigger down as suggested. What PSI to people usually use for the really fine details like a tiger fur? 20? Also, how is the viscosity of the paint, if you are using spectra-tex, do you reduce it a little? Thanks everyone for all the help & replies..

My regulator is set at 25psi (with trigger down) and then regulate it with a mac valve. I probably never go over 15psi and as low as 8psi depending on the paint.

My setup is identical to Andre's... Compressor regulator stays put at 25 psi (while holding the trigger down). Even from there, I do not fine tune with the mac valve much (for my brushes that have one anyway). If you're turning the air off when adjusting your regulator, you probably need a gauge with finer increments...

Having said all that, everyone here is a little different... There is no right or wrong pressure to spray at. Some prefer higher pressures, some prefer lower pressures and some prefer somewhere in the middle. Air pressure can be determined by the medea you're spraying, the surface you're spraying on and what works for you. Try different air pressures until you find your own happy medium.

I have a similar problem. I'll press the trigger down, adjust the pressure to say 15psi and sometimes after a while the regulator drops down to zero, the compressor turns on when it needs to. I just put it down to the fact that the external moisture trap regulator is built to be running at higher pressures and the internals aren't built for such finely tuned low pressures... but as I said it only happens sometimes and when I'm using low pressures.
Haven't used a MAC valve, good luck with that. Let us know how it goes :)

I set my Regulator to about 40 PSI and generally just reduce my paints by 1:1 maximum thinning ratio and spray at 30 PSI.
I see most people saying exactly what wicked art and AndreZa said tho..

I set my Regulator to about 40 PSI and generally just reduce my paints by 1:1 maximum thinning ratio and spray at 30 PSI.
I see most people saying exactly what wicked art and AndreZa said tho..
And at this pressure do you still get close to the artwork for fine details without spiders? What paint do you use that you thin to 1:1? I tried 30psi once and tip dry with spiders ruined it all lol

Back