Contact Paper for frisket?

Just remember when ya see Ed hubbs and the like using this kind of stuff its generally not on top of previous artwork..Many use it to lay out big designs directly onto a base coat, do some ghost flaming etc, if done properly the base coat won't pull off like an airbrush coat would..If you do de-tack any tape and it gets a bit floaty just as your spraying that area, push it back down with your spare hand as you spray over it, (or if its on a metal base just use a magnet or ten :) it will reduce the bleeding..

All application tape is not created equal. Stay away from the cheaper no name brands. I use R-tape conform paper application tape and transferite clear application tape. Get one of those squeegees they use to apply vinyl signs and press the application tape down well and you will eliminate the paint bleeding under the tape for the most part. I apply the application tape directly on top of Auto air base coats all the time and never had the tape cause the paint to peel. If you're having this problem with, then I suspect you may not be prepping your surface adequately. See if there is a local sign supply shop nearby and they will sell everything you need. If you don't have a local sign supply jobber, a good source of sign supplies is Fellers. As a side note, I use application tape to layout my designs less and less since I bought a plotter. Best investment I ever made.

I'm gonna chime in here with my own cheapskate approach to masking areas of my work.
I have had success with Glad brand Press-n-Seal. A sample of that is in this thread: http://www.airbrushforum.org/works-progress-finished-artworks/3958-finally.html It is my first fully completed piece. While working on it the Press-n-Seal did leave behind some light adhesive. Some gentle erasing removed that residue.
Press-n-Seal is a very low cost experiment and you might find that you like working with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm gonna chime in here with my own cheapskate approach to masking areas of my work.
I have had success with Glad brand Press-n-Seal. A sample of that is in this thread:http://www.airbrushforum.org/works-progress-finished-artworks/3958-finally-4.html#post51140
It is my first fully completed piece. While working on it the Press-n-Seal did leave behind some light adhesive. Some gentle erasing removed that residue.
Press-n-Seal is a very low cost experiment and you might find that you like working with it.

Good ideal I may have to give that a go ..Thanks Darren.

I have had success with Glad brand Press-n-Seal. A sample of that is in this thread:http://www.airbrushforum.org/works-progress-finished-artworks/3958-finally-4.html#post51140
It is my first fully completed piece. While working on it the Press-n-Seal did leave behind some light adhesive. Some gentle erasing removed that residue.

For some reason, that link takes me to airbrush tutor tutorials.

Back