Contradictory and Confusing re Urethanes

D

Dagobarbz

I've been using Createx on a practice motorcycle tank. The real tank will soon be prepped and ready to paint.

Xotic Paint website says I need a quart of base coat and their 2 part magic primer that costs over $70.
A quart? For a front fender, tank and a couple of side covers? Maybe. When I rattle canned it, it took two cans.

Next, clear coat. Can you apply it with an airbrush? Some say yes, some say no. Some claim they do it all the time. Harbor Freight has a $12 detail paint gun. I will probably get that if my compressor will run it properly.

Finally, cleaning up urethanes. Acetone? Again, yes and no.

I have no idea what I'm doing and people who do don't agree. And if acetone eats o-rings, where do you get more o-rings?

The problem is that there is a lot of info about on the internet regarding this and as it is mostly people speaking from experience not all of the info is consistent. This might partialy be down to the fact that with custom paint the end result depends a lot on the prep work and it's often hard to figure out at what stage something went wrong.

That being said, everything I say will also be "just based" on experience.

-Xotic paint is unknow to me so i can't say anything about that. The amount of paint needed is also largly subjected to the gun used. the smaller the nozzle the less paint is wasted so the less paint is needed (I once out of nececity did a tank and front fender with a 0.6 badger and only needed 1 bottle of Inspire black (100 ml) ... it did take a lot of time that way though :))

-Yes it would be possible to apply clearcoat with an airbrush if the nozzle is big enough (I doubt you'll get it through something smaller than a 0.6). If the airbrush is still usuable after that and what the result will be is a completely different question though :p.

Also a normal airbrush has a round spray pattern and forclearcoating most would prefer a "fan" spray pattern. Most paint guns (fan pattern 0.5+ nozzle) will requier a compressor with 20+ ltr of air to keep the gun spraying consistently.

-For cleaning my guns after using erethanes I normaly first flush them with the reducer of the paint used, and than thinner. Never used acetone to clean myself.

-Erothanes will eat o rings if they are rubber, but it's not like if you painted erethanes with them once you need to replace them. With regular use I had to replace them once a year (don't put your gun to soak inthinner overnight than they will be gone :))

O rings are ""normal" parts of your gun and you should easily be able to get them from your local airbrush store or order them online.

Part of the problem with all the contradictory info out there is all the different manufacturers. Most automotive urethane paints are similar, but there all a little different. Like was stated above, most people speak from their own experiences so they could both be right while talking about different systems. Best thing to do is follow the manufacturers info. As for a quart of base? Again it's hard to say how much you will need. Some colors cover great, others terrible. It will depend a lot on the color your spraying, and again like stated above your gun setup. Wish I could be more specific, but I'm not familiar with xotic paint either. I have painted colors that yes, I would have used a quart on those pieces, while others less than a pint.
As for me on the clear, I think you would be better off with the cheap HF detail gun than an airbrush. I typically use just lacquer thinner for clean up. My guns get used all day long with no ill effects. Cheaper guns have cheaper seals that are more affected by thinner. You don't let them soak. Just clean, and use some compressed air when done to get the remaining solvent dry.

I've been using Createx on a practice motorcycle tank. The real tank will soon be prepped and ready to paint.

Xotic Paint website says I need a quart of base coat and their 2 part magic primer that costs over $70.
A quart? For a front fender, tank and a couple of side covers? Maybe. When I rattle canned it, it took two cans.

Next, clear coat. Can you apply it with an airbrush? Some say yes, some say no. Some claim they do it all the time. Harbor Freight has a $12 detail paint gun. I will probably get that if my compressor will run it properly.

Finally, cleaning up urethanes. Acetone? Again, yes and no.

I have no idea what I'm doing and people who do don't agree. And if acetone eats o-rings, where do you get more o-rings?
Well this is where an introduction would be helpful. That way I would know where on this planet you lived .
When you use a rattle can the paint is thinner and you do not get the mils of paint build up that you want for a long lasting paint job.
Xotic is not bad paint , SEM, PPG and of course my Favorite House of Kolor are a lot better in my opinion.
But for bade coats and Clear coats you want at least a mini spray gun. Airbrushes for the most part shoot a circle which when trying to cover a large area with a base or a clear will cause streaking and runs. Airbrushes are made for art. Spray guns for coverage.
A quart of paint when reduced properly should give you almost 2 quarts. which will more then cover motorcycle tins.
You use the reducer that goes with the paint for clean up.
I suggest going to a local body shop and ask question and see if they will let you watch the process.
If you have never done prep work , sanding , filling , priming, sanding , priming , base and art and finally clearing it is best to watch the pros
Acetone will gum up some paints just so you know

The guys hit the nail on the head. You may think a quart may be alot and like Herb said once reduced and converted, you will have 2 quarts depending on the mix ratio. And its not always bad to have a little to put in to your stock of paint cause you can use it possibly on a project down the road and you wont have to fork out the money to buy more paint for said job.

As far as a suggestion for clean up. I recommend Naked Gun made by Kleen Strip. I use it almost everyday for cleaning my Satas out at work. I use polyurethanes for spraying yachts and its works absolutely amazing. I use the aerosol can that has a straw and you can get it into the gun and get all the nooks that paint likes to hide in. Dried or fresh. Its awesome stuff. Just spray it on and watch it do its thing. Then just wipe the parts down and put it back together. Cuts down cleaning time, big time!

Always remember to have a great paint job, the prep work has to be superb, if you get what i mean. The prep work makes the paint job in other words.

I would invest in a small spray gun, as said by Herb above, You want even coverage for bases and clears. Especially with clears cause you want to wet it out consistanly to get a nice finish.

Well this is where an introduction would be helpful. That way I would know where on this planet you lived .
When you use a rattle can the paint is thinner and you do not get the mils of paint build up that you want for a long lasting paint job.
Xotic is not bad paint , SEM, PPG and of course my Favorite House of Kolor are a lot better in my opinion.
But for bade coats and Clear coats you want at least a mini spray gun. Airbrushes for the most part shoot a circle which when trying to cover a large area with a base or a clear will cause streaking and runs. Airbrushes are made for art. Spray guns for coverage.
A quart of paint when reduced properly should give you almost 2 quarts. which will more then cover motorcycle tins.
You use the reducer that goes with the paint for clean up.
I suggest going to a local body shop and ask question and see if they will let you watch the process.
If you have never done prep work , sanding , filling , priming, sanding , priming , base and art and finally clearing it is best to watch the pros
Acetone will gum up some paints just so you know

Ok, so acetone will just take care of grease and thumbprints before I prime. I know a body shop guy. Thanks, I'm gonna make him let me watch. He can tell people it's "Take your granny to work" day.

I have a small [200ml] high volume low pressure spray gun that I use for large area coverage - gesso and the like.
I'd suggest that maybe something like this would suit your needs.
Cost me under $30 AUD, and has done a few tanks, side covers and the like.
Nozzle and needle is 1.0 mm, and you can adjust the fan from vertical to horizontal depending on your needs.
All up a good little gun.

Well...onward and awkward! Went to the paint store yesterday. Gonna cost around $350 or so for all the stuff I need. Ordered a spray gun from Harbor Freight. My will be done, only you know those things you can't predict? Like you have money for paint and suddenly need a root canal.

Yeah. It's like that but I am going to finish this before summer, or else.

Back