Control/reduce overspray

G

Gnrnr

Guest
Hey guys, just after some ideas to look at with regards to overspray. I basically got too much on one of the things I'm working on. I largely suspect heavy hand with the paint, but also was thinking that the air pressure was too high, blowing the paint around inside the shell.

IMGP2646.jpgIMGP2649.jpg
 
i prefer the other one I did for my other older daughter. I was tired after being at it for a day with this one and probably rushed it a bit. She also wanted a butterfly on it, but I was too stuffed and just painted the bonnet silver. A butterfly done in translucent paint with a silver backing would look so good. I have one more to do for my sone. It will be midnight blue at the rear, fading to a pure blue on the bonnet with some lightning flashes on it. I'll do some tears with a carbon effect pocking through and then a wavy drip break edged with silver with green going to yellow to white at the front grill. Just need to understand the overspray a bit more. I have a new brush coming with a smaller tip for trying the lightning effect.
 
i did use masking. I tried using some latex stuff, but after spending a day getting it on, It would not cut properly even with a new blade and kept lifting. i ended up peeling it all off and going back to using masking tape. The heart was done with a big stecil I made myself (I'm using overhead projector transparency film fo playing with, it makes an OK stencil material). That has the red metalic flake (parma fasglitter mixed into Trident neutral base) which was backed with the leftover purple from the other car :) The silver was masked and the black edge (hard to see) between the silver and purple was also masked (painted first though). The fade was not masked at all. I just drew a guide line on the outside of the body to give me an idea of how it shoudl flow. The blend is over too far a distance and I didn't end up with as cleen a white on the roof as I wanted. I did want the purple around the heart though.

For the other car I used a variation of the method for doing marbling, where you touch the fresh paint with a plastic bag. Instead of just touching I wiped agressively to remove paint. l also had some spotting occur when I put down the dark purple on that one (should have added white to make it more grey like the reference, see below, but meh!) which I think was from a poor mix of reducer etc, but it added to the effect as pink showed through nicely in those spots.


technical.jpg

For some of the other bits I used a scalpel to remove the paint completely. The pink was done using Trident Magenta mixed with neutral base at the recommended 3:7 ratio and then backed with Silver (I do that way too much, but I love the way the colours pop).
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Lower air pressure and thinner paint will def help with over spray, you just will have to make more passes and build up to the colour intensity you want. Also angle the gun away from the area you are trying to keep clear so that you are directing it onto the area you are painting.
 
Really cool work , looking forward to seeing the one for your son . Sounds like a fun paint job


Can't is not an excuse .
 
Thanks Squishy. I think I was doing the opposite with regards to gun angle, so I'll try what you suggest next time.

Thanks the the feedback Silverstar. These were the 3rd and 4th RC bodies I've done. I'm getting better slowly, not ready to try actual "artwork" yet though :D.
 
You will find that you will get better with each one you do. Practise makes perfect.

Lee
 
Back
Top