Control

Rick Martin

Detail Decepticon!
So I decided I wanted more control over my airbrush. I decided what better way than to grab my airbrush with the biggest needle and nozzle I had. That would be my badger 105 patriot. I stole I pic out of the wife's colored pencil book along time ago and decided to do a monochrome with it. Some of you have seen this pic before as I tried to do it before only to throw it away. Lol I have forced myself to stay with this airbrush and yeah it's ugly but I think I'm getting it down so I'm meeting my objective. I will upload the pic as soon as I remember how to resize the image.

That’s a great idea for some practice Rick. Looks like you’re getting along with the project too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s a great idea for some practice Rick. Looks like you’re getting along with the project too.

My theory is this. If I can learn to control the airbrush with a .5 needle in it I should be able to control all my detail brushes with no problem. I have control of them I just need to get faster on projects.

My theory is this. If I can learn to control the airbrush with a .5 needle in it I should be able to control all my detail brushes with no problem. I have control of them I just need to get faster on projects.
Seems like a solid plan to improve to me Buddy. Keep at it!

Fellas,

How do you shade in different values, in airbrushing?... Spray distance, paint volume? Or do you pre-mix a few greys?
All of the above really Buddy. I tend to work with a pretty limited pallet and alter the value through layering. I like painting with Candies, so that works well for me. But even then I will sometimes mix a darker shade depending on the image. Two of my recent pieces have used purely Candy paints. One used a couple different colour mixes and the other uses one mix and multiple layers.

This one has the two different colours.

8ab0f0c15f3791f7717c7958a18a1d71.jpg

This is one colour layered

056d270667d5ea234baea6884c82bbfe.jpg

Both use different distance and volume too.

The pic I posted at the top is not paint. It's India ink. I get my values of color through distance and volume which I have to watch very closely because the brush I'm using is not a detail airbrush. I will try to take a not so blury pic later.

@SiRoxx, I love those pictures you posted... I can see what you mean, yes... :p

The 2nd picture, the layered one, interestingly it is actually a modern version of the Old Masters' underpainting or as is also known, a grisaille. Titian and Rubens are both well known to have used the technique.

Just out of curiosity (if you don't mind me picking your brains ;)), how many layers did you need to build it to its current stage? Is it finished? Or are you going to continue with transparent colour layers first and then give some areas some body with opaque light colour and highlights?

I have a couple of photos of work done over a grisaille, with colour layers built on top, but I can't show them because they are male nudes/erotica. They are oils, but the principle is exactly the same. Multi layers of transparent colour built over the finished grisaille will give you unparalleled depth-of-colour. A painting done in this method hung under a blue daylight bulb will be utterly revealing. :D

The 1st picture, you say it has two colours... Were they ochres?... Or both in the same colour family, like earths? I love the bullet hole detail... It's mean and twisted. :D

The pic I posted at the top is not paint. It's India ink. I get my values of colour through distance and volume which I have to watch very closely because the brush I'm using is not a detail airbrush. I will try to take a not so blurry pic later.

It's fuzzy, isn't it? Were you shaking a bit at the time when you took the photo?;)

The 2nd picture, the layered one, interestingly it is actually a modern version of the Old Masters' underpainting or as is also known, a grisaille. Titian and Rubens are both well known to have used the technique.

Just out of curiosity (if you don't mind me picking your brains ;)), how many layers did you need to build it to its current stage? Is it finished? Or are you going to continue with transparent colour layers first and then give some areas some body with opaque light colour and highlights?

I have a couple of photos of work done over a grisaille, with colour layers built on top, but I can't show them because they are male nudes/erotica. They are oils, but the principle is exactly the same. Multi layers of transparent colour built over the finished grisaille will give you unparalleled depth-of-colour. A painting done in this method hung under a blue daylight bulb will be utterly revealing. :D

The 1st picture, you say it has two colours... Were they ochres?... Or both in the same colour family, like earths? I love the bullet hole detail... It's mean and twisted. :D
Always feel free to pick brains Mate. That’s why we’re here.
That one is finished and under some clear coat. I honestly couldn’t say how many layers it was. Just until I was happy with the value for any given area.
The colours used in the Pirate one were Candy Orange and Dirt Track Brown.
Thinking about it, there was a tiny bit of Candy Black in there too. So technically 3 colours I guess.
Thanks for the kind words Dude.

Coloring pages work great, I'd recommend making 10 copies of the same page!

Airbrush the page 10 times, seriously, and with each one, find something you dont like and try to improve it from the last one!

Once you have all 10 done, lay them out from first to last and you can visually see your progress, this will also help boost your confidence!!

There are many examples here on the forum of monochrome work and its amazing to see -

Createx even do a 'Grisaille' set.
upload_2021-8-2_12-49-38.png

Back