For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Convert a scan to a single line SVG

Discussion in 'Open Bar!' started by beginner-James, Jan 9, 2019.

1. beginner-James

beginner-James Mac-Valve Maestro! Very Likeable!

Yep Well Santa bought my wife(OK with me in mind) a Cricut air 2 for Christmas and I'm trying to convert a scanned stencil into a single line drawing so I can cut it out.

OK I can scan ok to a Jpg and use inkscape to convert it to a bitman in inkscape but when I look at the result it's got bits missing, thick lines and a double line all the way around it.

Is there anyone here that can help me out also show me how to do my own svg for Cricut (video would be good)

in the mean time would some kind soul convert the attached file as I've wasted two days trying to do it my self but need a paper version of this scan so I can carry on airbrushing my eye. the stencil version of this is to thick to erase against and you should see my cutting with scissors
    IMG_20190109_0001.jpg

James
  2. huskystafford

huskystafford Needle chucking Ninja Very Likeable!

you need vector, not bitmap. Unless you do it in a software from cutter.

https://ufile.io/c2np4

here's your svg, hope this works. I never uploaded to sites... Forum doesn't allow it.

edit: tested, it works...
    Robbyrockett2 likes this.
  3. beginner-James

Thank you so much I will try tomorrow it's bed time for me.

James
  4. huskystafford

huskystafford Needle chucking Ninja Very Likeable!

software from cutter should give you single line. Maybe it will give you 2 lines, didn't try it, but if this happens, you just delete one line.
    Robbyrockett2 likes this.
  5. Robbyrockett2

Robbyrockett2 Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

6. AndreZA

AndreZA Elite Member! Elite Member! Very Likeable!

Just make the line thicker. After you've scanned it, can be whatever format the your program can open, just trace it and ungroup/separate it and remove the inside line. Or colour it in completely then the line between white and black is the only one that will trace.
  7. jord001

jord001 Air-Valve Autobot!

I use a program called vector magic if i need a type of vector graphic created. But like @AndreZA said if you fill it into make a solid shape it should only cut the outline.

Lee
  8. twood

twood Elite Member! Elite Member! Very Likeable!

I would just bring it into Studio as a jpeg and fill, then trace. You can release compound path under object and clean it up. Make compound path when done...
  9. beginner-James

I've done it works a treat I followed instruction from this link

Create a Single Cut Path Around an Image
    I occasionally see people ask about how to create a single cut path around an image. This is usually because they want to do a “Print and Cut” with an electronic cutter such as the Silhouette Cameo or KNK Zing. I have used both Inkscape and Make The Cut to accomplish this task. Each has its benefit. Today, I’ll show you how to do this using Inkscape.
    Here’s a PNG that I downloaded from Openclipart.org.
    [​IMG]

FIRST YOU’LL NEED TO IMPORT YOUR IMAGE INTO INKSCAPE. FILE > IMPORT. FIND YOUR IMAGE AND SELECT IT. A BOX LIKE THIS WILL POP UP. SAY OK. (YOU CAN CLICK ON EITHER EMBED OR LINK. YOU CAN SEE MORE INFO ON THIS SUBJECT HERE.)
    [​IMG]

Now select your image. Path > Trace Bitmap. You will get a box that looks like this. You might need to experiment with your settings. But you’ll probably want to use Brightness Cutoff, with a Thresholdaround .900. Click on Update to see how it looks. If you think it’s good, click OK.

[​IMG]

Now click on the new image in Inkscape and go to Path > Object to Path. Next, Path > Break Apart. The object will be all one color and you will see dashed lines around all the individual parts.

[​IMG]

Next is the part that I think is easier in Inkscape than in Make The Cut. It may or may not be an issue for the image you choose.

I want to leave this part of the picture transparent because when I cut around it, I think this part should be cut out.

[​IMG]
    I want this portion to be transparent.
    If you need to cut out a portion (make it transparent), find that part and select it. I like to turn it white so that I can make sure I have the right area.

[​IMG]

Now select just the largest portion and the white piece that you want to be transparent. Path > Difference.

Next, drag to select around all. Path > Union.

[​IMG]

Now if you like, you can use your Fill and Stroke Box to delete the fill and create a Stroke. This will be your cut line.

[​IMG]

If you want to make the path a little larger than the original image, Ctrl + ). However, keep in mind this will make any area that you are cutting out get a bit smaller.

[​IMG]

And there you have it!
    doc1 likes this.
  10. beginner-James

Just Like to thank all that replied to my post most helpful

James