cool method for mixing paint

A

ad fez

hi guys just in the garage and found a cool way for mixing paint, using transparent sheets or laminate sleeves, mix your colour recipes 1 drop at a time with the tip of your finger with the occasional drop of water to keep the paint slick. you can let the paint dry, write along side the patch what the recipe is with a sharpie ma2012-09-04 23.25.00.jpgrker* you can even hold the laminate up to your artwork to gauge an idea what the colour will look like

*note.other makes of permanent marker are available.

Last edited by a moderator:
cool ideal ,
thanks guys another cool thing is that after mixing it when you turn it over its totally smooth without texture from your finger like on wet side.therefore you get a nice even colour base to hold up against your artwork

dunno if that makes sense but I'm sure you get the idea

hi guys just in the garage and found a cool way for mixing paint, using transparent sheets or laminate sleeves, mix your colour recipes 1 drop at a time with the tip of your finger with the occasional drop of water to keep the paint slick. you can let the paint dry, write along side the patch what the recipe is with a sharpie maView attachment 3929rker* you can even hold the laminate up to your artwork to gauge an idea what the colour will look like

*note.other makes of permanent marker are available.

Great idea, but the only draw back is that you really need to spray the paint to get the true color. Mixing the paint on a transparent sheet with your finger will produce a slightly different shade than when you spray it out, especially if you are using opaques. When you spray out opaques and the paint reaches its maximum saturation, it actually goes through a color shift. If you are using a transparent, it will just get darker and darker as you spray more paint on the same spot. For transparents, spray out a ribbon of color, making it dark to light. After you spray out the paint on the white paper or index cards, then write down the recipe on the opposite side of the paper.

I agree, I have had a few mixtures that I used my mixing brush, and wiped/painted the excess on a white piece of paper. And what I sprayed was a different shade. Just a heads up. Sometimes its spot on, sometimes it's not.

Dylan

Back