Cost Quote Question

D

Daks

Not sure if this belongs in beginners but I'm a beginner at selling this type of thing so here it goes:

A friend of mine wants me to paint his logo on 3 sides of a trailer. I've decided to mask the whole thing off and stencil film where the logo will go (it'll be big, 4ftx2ft). The logo is just black paint and then rattle can clear. He also wants lettering/information that I will either have to stencil out or use a stencil for.

I've broken down the list of what materials will be needed and how much they are, but I have no idea what to charge for labor. I've tried looking online but every estimate is for a full car painting, not just a logo. I will need to cut everything out, line it up and then paint. The paint will be the fastest part.
I'm no body shop and just starting but I don't want to undervalue myself or have him balk. I was thinking 300-500 for labor? Is that nuts? He says he'd rather pay me (a friend) more than a body shop even if it's not as "professional" in the end but I'm not going to throw something totally wild out.

price wise for just a logo what you are thinking is not a bad price.

If you can get by with making just one stencil for the entire job. Remember news paper can be your best friend on masking off a large area.

Yeah I was just going to have him buy some masking paper. It's like 2 bucks a roll. I live in CA and people recycle newspapers a lot more.

I wanted to make an adhesive stencil so I wouldn't have to worry about spray under the edges but I guess I could make one out of a reusable material and hit it with some fixative to stick it on.

Ended up quoting him 300 if I can reuse the stencil on all 3 sides and 500 if he wants different sizes. Feel like that's fair.

Back