Could this be caused by oil in the air line?

waynem325

Gravity Guru
Yesterday I acquired a Bambi compressor from eBay and the owner had serviced it and changed the oil etc.
I didn't think anything about it and went about clear coating a bike panel a was messing around with.

I was absolutely gutted to find serious pitting after sanding back the Orange peel, which I think is unrecoverable?

uploadfromtaptalk1394952469787.jpg

Will I have to take the clear completely off (and risk going down to the paint) or is there something I can do to save it?

It's a spare bike panel which I bought from eBay to practice with, so it's not a huge problem, but I did want to attach it to my bike as a conversation piece.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Hi Waynem - I am no expert, but I think the test would be if there was an oily residue left over after you have clearcoated. IE - once the clearcoat has dried, there will still be oil on the piece. It might be that this is water. (BUT I would like to see others response to this). Do you have a water trap? Is the water trap just before your airbrush? has the tank been emptied of water? can you do a test piece?

edit - lets hope someone here knows exactly what the cause is :)

being it is an oil compressor and was shipped with oil in which should never be done due to the oil will move when say the item get turned every which way . Yes that is cause by oil in the line , You should have wiped the tank down with wax and grease remover before you cleared it.
Now you have to flush the lines to get all the oil out . It is kind of like after your fridge has been running and you go to move it you can not lay it on it's side cause it will mess up the compressor and put oil where oil does not go.

Thanks flycatchr & Mr micron,

It wasn't shipped,I collected it. I thought I drove carefully enough? Bugger!
I have a spare line I can swap over but I'll give the regulator a blast through.
I did degrease the piece before applying paint (before new compressor) and before applying the clear (with new compressor) so I was surprised to see this.

I've taken back the clear as much as I dare, and it's safe to say on closer inspection it looks terrible, but from a distance it looks alright!
Another lesson learnt!

It doesn't quite match the bike, but I like it!

vuryguqy.jpg

so the solution to prevention of this effect is to ALWAYS clean artwork with a degreaser? as well as the base coat.
What degreaser is safe for use on wicked paints (or equivalent) - or is it much of a muchness?

so the solution to prevention of this effect is to ALWAYS clean artwork with a degreaser? as well as the base coat.
What degreaser is safe for use on wicked paints (or equivalent) - or is it much of a muchness?

Well if you have followed Cheryl's hood she said Wicked recommends mineral spirits to lightly wipe the area prior to clearing and to remove over spray.
Being most of my metal work is done with HOK I use a standard automotive wax and grease remover for it.

Back