For Every Airbrush Artist!

Want to see more forum, less google ads ? Then register for free

Register

Created illustration and Craig fraiser

Discussion in 'Paints' started by fireartist85, Oct 16, 2020.

1. fireartist85

fireartist85 Young Tutorling

Decent video from Createx and Craig about the createx illustration line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    jord001, LadyCharlie and Karl Becker like this.
  2. crazyvet

crazyvet Mac-Valve Maestro! Very Likeable!

Just watched this a few hours ago. Great vid
    jord001 and LadyCharlie like this.
  3. Karl Becker

Karl Becker Needle-chuck Ninja

That is very useful info. I just ordered some CI yesterday. I'm looking forward to playing around with it.

It's nice to know what it is capable of.
    jord001 and LadyCharlie like this.
  4. Karl Becker

Well, I found these little guys waiting on my doorstep when I got home. Planning on having a go this weekend.

Paint.jpg
    jord001 likes this.
  5. JackEb

JackEb The Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

ooh we like getting new stuff, give them all a good shake and stir.
    are they opaques or transparent ? doesn't make any difference, I'm just being nosey :)

I love the bloodline range, so many great colours that can be used on everyday pieces, not just zombies I love the 'old bone white' great when you don't need a bright white (and I'm lazy, I don't like mixing up colours and at least I get consistency for the whole bottle
    jord001 likes this.
  6. Karl Becker

Hey Jackie.

They are opaque. I figure I can make them transparent if need be, but better to start with basics and get used to them first. I have to say I'm mildly annoyed by the seals. The Createx lines I've used up to this point have the ones you peel off the top of the bottle. I have to go fishing up in the cap for these. Minor issue, but I need something to complain about. :p I'm looking forward to trying them out.

I have heard a lot of good things about the Bloodline and Lifeline colors. I will most likely pick some of those up as $ permits. I'm all for premixed colors, just because I get nervous mixing a custom one that I'm going to run out and not be able to get that exact mix again. That means I mix too much of a color that I may not need again. Paint ain't free, you know.
    jord001 likes this.
  7. JackEb

JackEb The Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

wrong, you can't make opaque transparent, but you can make transparent opaque-ish.
    you can certainly reduce the pigment load by adding transparent base (highly recommend purchasing some along with some restorer)
    think of the transparent base as colourless paint so you can lay down lighter layers of colour instead of one heavy layer - its harder to pull it back if you put to much on there.

I tend to mix colours on the paper - overlay different transparent colours. lay down a blue, overlay an edge with yellow and you'll get green :)
    works for me, I do have Dru's colour theory here that I still haven't committed to yet, but I will.
    jord001 likes this.
  8. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Very Likeable!

Yep. You can thin opaques but they will not be transparent. Building up layers (which is key in ABing) will rebuild the opacity, and will also cover lower layers.
    Transparents will allow what's beneath to show, the hue will just deepen with each layer eventually reaching black. As Jackie says colour mixing as you go is possible with transparents, acting with the colour beneath, allowing for infinitely subtle variations and blends.

Opaques, even thinned to translucency will only reach its maximum colour. I. E. The colour it is in the bottle - no matter how many layers are added. It will cover, not work with, colours below, and obscure detail.
    jord001 likes this.
  9. Karl Becker

Thank you both for the education! :thumbsup:

Although I used the wrong terminology, I was referring to using either transparent base or just over reduction to reduce the opacity. I don't really have any experience to speak of with actual transparents yet, but I'll get there. At this point, I'm more concerned with having more control over how quickly I build values so I don't over saturate what I'm working on.
    Squishy and jord001 like this.