Created illustration and Craig fraiser

ooh we like getting new stuff, give them all a good shake and stir.
are they opaques or transparent ? doesn't make any difference, I'm just being nosey :)

I love the bloodline range, so many great colours that can be used on everyday pieces, not just zombies I love the 'old bone white' great when you don't need a bright white (and I'm lazy, I don't like mixing up colours and at least I get consistency for the whole bottle

Hey Jackie.

They are opaque. I figure I can make them transparent if need be, but better to start with basics and get used to them first. I have to say I'm mildly annoyed by the seals. The Createx lines I've used up to this point have the ones you peel off the top of the bottle. I have to go fishing up in the cap for these. Minor issue, but I need something to complain about. :p I'm looking forward to trying them out.

I have heard a lot of good things about the Bloodline and Lifeline colors. I will most likely pick some of those up as $ permits. I'm all for premixed colors, just because I get nervous mixing a custom one that I'm going to run out and not be able to get that exact mix again. That means I mix too much of a color that I may not need again. Paint ain't free, you know.

wrong, you can't make opaque transparent, but you can make transparent opaque-ish.
you can certainly reduce the pigment load by adding transparent base (highly recommend purchasing some along with some restorer)
think of the transparent base as colourless paint so you can lay down lighter layers of colour instead of one heavy layer - its harder to pull it back if you put to much on there.

I tend to mix colours on the paper - overlay different transparent colours. lay down a blue, overlay an edge with yellow and you'll get green :)
works for me, I do have Dru's colour theory here that I still haven't committed to yet, but I will.

Yep. You can thin opaques but they will not be transparent. Building up layers (which is key in ABing) will rebuild the opacity, and will also cover lower layers.
Transparents will allow what's beneath to show, the hue will just deepen with each layer eventually reaching black. As Jackie says colour mixing as you go is possible with transparents, acting with the colour beneath, allowing for infinitely subtle variations and blends.

Opaques, even thinned to translucency will only reach its maximum colour. I. E. The colour it is in the bottle - no matter how many layers are added. It will cover, not work with, colours below, and obscure detail.

Thank you both for the education! :thumbsup:

Although I used the wrong terminology, I was referring to using either transparent base or just over reduction to reduce the opacity. I don't really have any experience to speak of with actual transparents yet, but I'll get there. At this point, I'm more concerned with having more control over how quickly I build values so I don't over saturate what I'm working on.

After all of that, I just realized the paint I bought is actually transparent. I'm a dumb ass sometimes...:confused:
if in doubt quote us the product code on the back, we'll soon tell you what you have :)
I think I have pretty much every createx paint apart from the airbrush colors (the textile range) and I prefer the transparent, I'll use opaques for a base for a background but other than that its transparents.

grab some paper and play around with them, overlay the paint in areas and see what colours you can make. I find the transparent much more fun.

Will do Jackie!

What threw me is the previous line of Createx I used was opaque unless they specified they were transparent. The CI paints seem to be transparent unless they specify that they are opaque. Little bit of a curve ball there.

Last edited:
Will do Jackie!

What threw me is the previous line of Createx I used was opaque unless they specified they were transparent. The CI paints seem to be transparent unless they specify that they are opaque. Little bit of a curve ball there.
All else fails Read The F****g Manual 1st
Yes that is legitimately my license plate on my car !
514FE7DF-457B-42D9-8E1F-1CBAA8D5B9AB.jpeg

Createx illustration actually do a few lines within the CI label
Illustration - transparent that dry matte
Illustration Opaque
Bloodline (Transparent)
Bloodline lifeline (transparent that appear opaque due to over saturated pigment load)

I wonder what the Air Oil and Lead set are? I'd guess on opaque's but you never know. After watching Steve Leahy use them last night I quite liked the look of them but then I saw the cost of the kit.

Lee

I wonder what the Air Oil and Lead set are? I'd guess on opaque's but you never know. After watching Steve Leahy use them last night I quite liked the look of them but then I saw the cost of the kit.

Lee
They are the same as the CI transparent. I have the set but haven't cracked them open yet,

Lee
They are the same as the CI transparent. I have the set but haven't cracked them open yet,
I found the greys are opaque and the colours are transparent in the kit which makes sense.

I found the greys are opaque and the colours are transparent in the kit which makes sense.
Not arguing the point because like I said I haven’t opened them yet but I thought it was only the Black and white that weren’t transparent in the kit

Not arguing the point because like I said I haven’t opened them yet but I thought it was only the Black and white that weren’t transparent in the kit
When you think about it they have to be opaque, otherwise you couldn’t lighten? I ran some tests over black and they shifted to blue, and covered well.

Back