createx,AA or Spectra tex

Mat

Double Actioner
Hi all I have been looking into paints of late and am a tad confused lol I have had a chat with Angela Murray from SMDesigns via email and she thought that with what I am planning on doing with my coat racks Auto Air would be the paint for me ;).....But I am just getting started finally tonight when the minions have gone to bed as my new regulator turned up this morning hahahaha no thank's to my first being knackered out of the box.......It's a long story lol

I have some Createx which eenasha has kindly gifted me along with a Paasche VL to get started off with yayyyyy but I am not sure what paint to order next,is it better to start off with Createx with my dots and daggers then once I have got the basics move onto AA or Spectra Tex ???? I have looked up threads on here and Mitch said the Spectra Tex is great but I do need the paint to be light fast/UV tolerant as some racks my be close to the door and a window etc......So don't want any colour fading ;(

As it is the Bank Holiday weekend in the UK I don't want to send mithering emails to peeps,but i thought that some of you on here would be able to give me an idea of what's best road to go down I have looked into the new AA 4012 reducer as well and it may help with tip dry etc with being a newbie lol, but also some have said that it hasn't been such a great step up from the 4011 flash reducer,It's hard to know what advice to take from just reading bit's and bobs.

It's a bit of a mine field with not using any type of paint yet but I have some spare cash and need to get rid of it before the kids find out about it lol ;) It's safe in my Paypal account at the mo I don't want to run out, and not have any paint to continue with.....So if anyone could give me an idea of what's the best way forward I'd be very very grateful ;)

Thank's for reading...Mat

For your coat racks Wicked (which will paint on any surface and color fast) AutoAir (which is design for automotive )
Will work the very best .
But being your coat rack will more than likely be hanging inside and not really exposed to direct sunlight Createx will also serve you well.

I would go for wicked. It's so versatile, I use it for everything from bikes to paper, and is lightfast. Hopefully the new W500 reducer will get to the uk soon too, which should make it even better, although I only get a bit of tip dry with white.

For your coat racks Wicked (which will paint on any surface and color fast) AutoAir (which is design for automotive )
Will work the very best .
But being your coat rack will more than likely be hanging inside and not really exposed to direct sunlight Createx will also serve you well.

Thank's Herb I was just thinking of the racks long term I wouldn't want someone saying a year or 2 down the line that there was some fading or dullness...the joys of being a perfectionist lol, and i have enough to spring for an Auto Air primary set to start,but is it easier getting the basics nailed with Createx ? is if more forgiving as you can use water to reduce it does it make it simpler to grasp doing dots and daggers as you don't have to worry about using shop brought reducers which from what I have read some make Createx go errrrr gummy

Or is it better if you can afford it starting as you mean to go on so when I have used the Createx up start with the Auto Air???............Or try all three as i have read that some peeps have done the same as that and found one works better for them than the other and will they all work well with the VL for detail work?......Which i know will be a long while away but just so I have an idea of which may perform best with the AB I have ;)

Cheers pal ;)

I would go for wicked. It's so versatile, I use it for everything from bikes to paper, and is lightfast. Hopefully the new W500 reducer will get to the uk soon too, which should make it even better, although I only get a bit of tip dry with white.

Cheers Squishy I am thinking of one of the 2 Auto Air or Wicked but still not sure lol aaggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh decisions decisions the joys of being a newbie hahaha ;)

between the two get wicked! it has the same caricatures as auto air without fighting with reducing as much for sure! auto air outdated in my opinion.

between the two get wicked! it has the same caricatures as auto air without fighting with reducing as much for sure! auto air outdated in my opinion.
AA pretty much is wicked with some benefits on painting automotive/custom. Air, have u used any other paints then AA or wicked, wicked isnt too easy on reducing too, tip dry is a pain too. The benefit of wicked is that its an everything paint, AA needs heat setting but it has more effect paints. But between em, wicked is my choice for starting, heat setting with AA and not being able to use it on much other stuff than metals and plastics and stuff wicked has the benefit.

good point rick! yeah i hate heat setting paint lol maybe thats why im not a fan yuck. i dont have to much issues with tip dry it happens and man it is hard to get off the needle sticks like no other. i usually use wicked and "aqua-flo my favorite" for t-shirts and hok for automotive work. i realy want to get my hands on spectra we will see i just dont think it can bet the coverage of aqua-flo we will see :joyous:. every one know hok is a force to be wreckend with cant beat it!

Any of the 3 paints will suffice as long as you put a good clear on it!!! A 1k clear will wear a lot quicker than a 2k clear! I have all 3 brands of paints, and also use ETAC A LOT and a Nason makes some really good paints for 2k paints, but much like HOK, very expensive paints, lol. Good luck on whatever you choose

Thank's everyone as i'm basically clueless, as i haven't used any of them yet but what i was thinking of doing was using the AA for base coat and then final colour and then to use Wicked for the detailing after as i have read from some threads that AA can be a pain in the proverbial ;) when doing detail work but was fine for a topcoat and that Wicked is a better pigment based paint for detail work i am going to be covering my coat racks which i am making i first thought were great just in black but as they are pretty much bespoke some may ask for a different colour and i thought that the AA would do pretty well as i can now see some of them done with candies as well ;)

This is one of the reasons for asking what may be best suited be but i should of put some pics on so they will be at the bottom lol I did some spraying 20 years ago but never touched an AB so i thought that while i was busy doing ones dots and daggers i could get my arm back in priming and top coating what i have to do at the mo or even just practicing on a plain piece of board the other thing I was wondering was I tried some Createx on a piece of MDF and it as i though raised the grain so i was wondering how does AA base coat sealer dark go onto MDF ??? If anyone has worked with MDF what did you use to seal it with as anything acrylic will cause swelling of the surface ;(

One of the other reasons i was thinking of using AA is that later this summer they are bringing out the new Base coat sealer Black which will save me i hope having to put a black ontop of the base coat sealer dark, so time saved doing 2 colours as well as saving on paint i hope :)

If any of this rambling makes any sense i hope that could let me know if i am right in what i am wanting to do as ABing is a new medium to me which i have to learn and then using water based paints is also i used urethane paint years back and that was spraying garden furniture and BBQ's etc so i wasn't doing anything to big lol but i reckon that the basics are kind of the same will just have to get used to it all over again hahaha

Thank's for all you thought's it truly is appreciated as i am just wombling along here trying ones best to get it right from the vids from the AB Tutor ;) so pleeeeease be patient lol i don't want to run before i can crawl lol i just want to get it all inline and right from the beginning and know what i will need when i am ready for it and don't want to slip into any bad habits........Not asking for much am i lol .....But again any and all advice is very very welcome ;) xx Coatracks Slideshow by matt_webster1 | Photobucket

Back