For Every Airbrush Artist!

Want to see more forum, less google ads ? Then register for free

Register

Createx Autoborne Sealer clear vs. UVLS gloss?

Discussion in 'Paints' started by BijouPyramidette, May 31, 2021.

1. BijouPyramidette

BijouPyramidette Double Actioner

Hey guys!

What's are the differences between Createx Autoborne Sealer clear and UVLS gloss? When should you pick one over the other? Is it worth having both around?

Createx isn't the most forward company ever when it comes to explaining their products so it can get a little confusing.
    jord001 likes this.
  2. jord001

jord001 Air-Valve Autobot!

Sealer is your first coat, to seal the paint surface, a primer if you wish, but as its clear it wont change the colour of what you spraying it on, unlike sealer white or black or whatever colours they do in the sealers which will change the base colour. uvls gloss is the final gloss coat like the clearcoat in urethanes, so yes both are worth having. you can also mix the uvls with wicked or illustration to make it tougher. Steve Leahy is on facebook tonight at 6pm ohio time, 11 pm for us in England. he uses it a lot.
    BijouPyramidette likes this.
  3. BijouPyramidette

Thanks, jord! I wasn't clear (ha!) on whether I could also use the UVLS as a primer or the Autoborne as a topcoat. I mean, I have, and the world didn't end, it just left kind of a meh finish.

Can I mix a bit of Wicked into the Autoborne to tint it a bit? Or would it be better to just spray a coat or two on top?
    jord001 likes this.
  4. jord001

jord001 Air-Valve Autobot!

Although it says uvls gloss it doesn't come out like a high gloss finish, it's more like a satin.
    JackEb likes this.
  5. wickedartstudio

wickedartstudio Mac-Valve Maestro!

I respectfully disagree. If the product is sprayed correctly the finish is actually very close to a 2k clear.
    jord001 and BijouPyramidette like this.
  6. BijouPyramidette

Can clear Autoborne also look nice? As a topcoat it left me kind of an unremarkable finish (there's a picture in my gallery showing how it did), but it's probably I did it wrong.
    jord001 likes this.
  7. wickedartstudio

A sealer coat can look nice, but it will never leave a glossy finish like UVLS Gloss. In the end, a big part of how good your finished result appears comes down to how good the panel looks before your final top coat is applied. In most cases a couple coats of clear need to be applied, allowed to dry fully and then lightly dry sanded (I prefer 800 grit for this) in order to flatten out any minor imperfections. Then you can shoot a few more final coats of your chosen top coat. That extra step will do a lot to improve your final finish.

Sealer isn't designed to be a top coat, even for artwork. Having said that, there's nothing wrong with using a clear Autoborne sealer as a top coat for your artwork, just realize the finish won't be as durable compared to UVLS. A clear sealer is good for covering sand scratches on a repair area or as an intercoat clear to protect artwork between airbrush sessions. UVLS also works for both of those purposes and UVLS can be applied over bare steel if needed (sand through areas in the automotive industry). UVLS can also be cut and buffed to an even better finish if you like. At the end of the day, UVLS will do everything a clear sealer can do and more. Autoborne Sealers shouldn't be applied to bare steel. I do use Autoborne sealers as a ground coat on bare aluminum with great results though.
    SiRoxx, Karl Becker, jord001 and 3 others like this.
  8. BijouPyramidette

Wow, thank you for that great piece of info! Once I get my UVLS, I'm going to re-clear my project following your method. I'm very excited!
    jord001 likes this.
  9. wickedartstudio

I'm glad to help when I can!

The absolute best results with UVLS happen in a booth, you can still get very good results without one though. You need air flow circulating. A cheap box fan or two will work depending on the size of the room you're painting in. I don't recommend placing filters on the fans because it severely reduces the actual air circulation. So, make sure the environment you're spraying in is as clean as possible. You don't want dust flying around in the air if you can prevent it.

A lot of times when we're spraying water-based paint we will spray air only through our airbrush or spray gun in order to quickly dry paint that was just applied. DO NOT do that when spraying UVLS Gloss, especially if you want a nice glossy finish! Also, don't aim your box fan(s) directly at what you're spraying. You want air circulation, you don't necessarily want a lot of air flowing directly at the paint causing it to dry too quickly. Heavy air flow directed at the product will cause the product to dry too fast which leads to the satin finish as opposed to the gloss finish.

Apply a generous first coat. Don't overdo it. UVLS will run if you get it too heavy. You'll likely see some bluish colored hazing in the clear when it's been applied sufficiently. Don't worry, it will dry clear. Let that coat dry thoroughly before you apply another coat. The paint will dry faster in warmer temperatures and slower in colder temperatures. Be patient and let it dry. UVLS doesn't like to be sprayed wet on wet like a traditional 2k clear. Doing so will also lead to a satin finish instead of a glossy finish. Apply as many coats as you like, but let it dry completely in between each application.
  10. BijouPyramidette

I have one of those foldy $100 booths. Normally I don't run the fan on it at all, in fact I never have. I spray in my little NYC apartment living room, though I'm thinking maybe for the clears I could just set up shop in the bathroom and UVLS there.

If I understand correctly, the goal here is enough air movement to encourage the UVLS to set, but not so much that the surface is disturbed in any way. Because we are going for gloss, the surface needs to be as absolutely smooth as possible, and that means no roughing it up with turbulent air flow.

How does UVLS do with humidity? NYC summers are spectacularly humid, and humidity rates in the 80% range are not uncommon.

Once again, thank you so much for sharing your knowledge with us! I've watched some of your videos and they have been highly educational! I'll be experimenting with Createx Candy2o line fairly soon, and I'm going to watch your series on how to use those paints. It's gonna be great!
    wickedartstudio and jord001 like this.
  11. wickedartstudio

I was talking about a full blown cross draft or down draft automotive spray booth. Those hobby booths aren't worth the cheap materials they're made from in my opinion (at least not for what I do).

Air movement isn't to encourage UVLS to set, air movement is actually required to allow the product to cure correctly. Turbulent air flow shouldn't affect the finish as far as smoothness is concerned unless you have a very high air source (high enough to move wet paint) pointed directly at it. Again, aiming a lot of air directly at the surface can cause UVLS to flash and dry faster than intended based on my experience. That causes a satin finish rather than a glossy finish. A lot of this will depend on the environmental conditions you are spraying in. It might require some experimentation to figure out what works best where you're at.

Yes, you need a super smooth finish before you begin clearing your project for the absolute best results. You can also use UVLS as an intercoat clear to create a super smooth finish if needed. Once the product has cured you can sand it flat before spraying your final clear coats. You can also sand any dust nibs, runs, etc. between UVLS sessions, just be sure the product is completely dry before doing so (24 to 48 hours is normally pretty safe).

I live and work in a very humid environment as well. High humidity will normally require longer cure times for water-based paint systems. It's the nature of the beast. Air circulation helps A LOT to counter that though.

Water-based requires more patience. It took me a long time to figure that out for a variety of reasons. Don't rush the process or take short cuts and you'll more than likely be rewarded for doing so.

I appreciate the kind words!
    Maple Art, SiRoxx, twood and 3 others like this.
  12. Karl Becker

Karl Becker Mac-Valve Maestro! Very Likeable!

Trevor speaks the truth. Good to see you back on the interwebz, Sir! Hopefully you time away has served you well.
    jord001, SiRoxx and wickedartstudio like this.
  13. BijouPyramidette

No, they by and large aren't, but I can't do any better in my little apartment :( Maybe one day I'll get to live in my dream house with a sprawling underground manufacturing complex where normal people would have a basement. Oh well... One can dream... :love:
    Maple Art, jord001 and SiRoxx like this.