Createx Red

S

Samantha Freeman

Why is it this red always looks pink to me straight out of the bottle? I get asked this quite a bit from people get into the hobby that the red is pink! Is it because we are thinning it down so much orrr . . . . Also I am looking at expanding my illustration colors. Will I run into this with the color "Bloodline Blood Red"?

Disclosure: I usually end up adding a little yellow to over compensate this problem, and to make a 'true red' as I call it but am just trying to expand my 'science' as I have mentioned before I usually throw it out the window, unfortunately that does not help me trying to explain myself.

The more you know.... (insert rainbow star thing here)

like Tucky said, they take time to build up. Depending on which line of Createx you are refering to they are mostly transparent and as such will get darker/deeper colour the more you layer them.
with the Opaques they will get to a certain depth of colour and stay there, they wont get darker.

but generally it will take 3 - 4 coats to get to where you get the colour you were expecting.

I am actually talking about every red in the line let me get out my collection and I will list what I have.

Time to build up? really? but every other color does not need this 'time'? . . . . that's just odd.

list: AutoAir - Cherry Red
Wicked Detail - Scarlet Red
Wicked Detail - Carmine Red
Wicked - Pearl Red

like Tucky said, they take time to build up. Depending on which line of Createx you are refering to they are mostly transparent and as such will get darker/deeper colour the more you layer them.
with the Opaques they will get to a certain depth of colour and stay there, they wont get darker.

but generally it will take 3 - 4 coats to get to where you get the colour you were expecting.

Yeah so not the answer I was looking for at all 3 - 4 coats ```rolls eyes, god thats redundant - well not like anything said is going to change anything anyways thanks for the answers

And in conclusion I would say that it is not going to matter what createx red I buy these 'red's are going to be pink.

I've kinda noticed that myself... but being a total noob I have no idea what to do about it. Yes the accepted technique is to build your colors up slowly. It provides texture or something. Heck if I know!

@Samantha Freeman @Jurien72
Wicked and Wicked detail are a transparent or semi opaque paint so there are gaps between the paint dots when you paint.......the more white the more pink it looks, the more layers you put down the less white shows through, so it looks redder the more paint you put down. . .

Hope that helps, all this stuff did my head in when i first started but the more you work with transparent the better you understand where the strengths / weakness are.

This is the difference between transparents and opaques. Opaques will generally give you 'full coverage' in two passes.

i dont have the Auto air paint so i wont comment on that one.

then please Jacke suggest a red I can buy that will come out red please :)

I've noticed it with a lot of the colors I use- even ones that aren't transparent. Sammie did you say that adding yellow helps? I remember painting red over yellow and it came out really nice.

I've noticed it with a lot of the colors I use- even ones that aren't transparent. Sammie did you say that adding yellow helps? I remember painting red over yellow and it came out really nice.

How I been dealing with it for many many many months is adding a slight bit of yellow, until the pink disappears. I get a really beautiful Red at times but anything listed on the bottle goes out the window (ex: blood red is no longer blood red but this new creation you had made)

I was thinking more in the sense if you start with very dark red and you don't layer colors, maybe pink is not visible so obviously or even not visible at all. I am just thinking .

This is from the createx website for the illustration range, this may help you out Sammi, the reds all start off pinkish, but deepen to red.

If you are after instant coverage at full cover you'll need at least two coats of an opaque :)

upload_2018-4-19_10-21-52.png

This is from the createx website for the illustration range, this may help you out Sammi, the reds all start off pinkish, but deepen to red.

If you are after instant coverage at full cover you'll need at least two coats of an opaque :)

ok ok I am going to take my 'Unda' and do the 4 passes like you guys suggest I will post my findings a bit later

I am actually talking about every red in the line let me get out my collection and I will list what I have.

Time to build up? really? but every other color does not need this 'time'? . . . . that's just odd.

list: AutoAir - Cherry Red
Wicked Detail - Scarlet Red
Wicked Detail - Carmine Red
Wicked - Pearl Red
Cherry red is Transparent so it take time to build it to red.
Scarlet Red will go on red straight out the bottle but when reduced it build to red slower
Carmine take forever to build to a red LOL
Pearl red due to the pearl will look more on the pink side.

Back