Createx reducers ??????

RichardH

Detail Decepticon!
A number of years back I started out with Createx Illustration colors and used them for my learning experience with the airbrush. Never could get the tip dry problem to go away. So, I changed over to Etac and had a very good learning experience with them.
Just for fun and experimenting time, I pulled out the Illustration colors and played with them using the W500 that was sent with the sets.
After playing with them, I thought maybe things have changed with their reducers over time and I ordered some 4011, 4012, 4013 and some retarder.
On the side of the bottle of 4011 it says High Temp. paint 80+degrees F. On the bottle of 4012 it says Medium Temp. paint 60-80 degrees F. Nothing on the 4013 about paint Temperature.

What are they telling me about each reducer with this notice ??????
I am not a chemist but just a plain old redneck. LOL LOL

Richard

As I understand this, they are telling you at which temperature reducer works best. So in theory at 60-80 degrees F temperature in your airbrush room, you should use 4012.

at temperature in your airbrushing room - 80+degrees F, you should use 4011 for best results..

Anyway, search this forum for the info about 4013, people had great success with it while airbrushing. I would do the search for you, but to be honest I am drinking my morning coffee and I am lazy as *insert word of your choice here* :laugh:

As I understand this, they are telling you at which temperature reducer works best. So in theory at 60-80 degrees F temperature in your airbrush room, you should use 4012.

at temperature in your airbrushing room - 80+degrees F, you should use 4011 for best results..

Anyway, search this forum for the info about 4013, people had great success with it while airbrushing. I would do the search for you, but to be honest I am drinking my morning coffee and I am lazy as *insert word of your choice here* :laugh:

Thanks Husky. Sounds like a good answer to me. I am always around 75 F in my room so might be good day to experiment and play.
I have all the ingredients to mix my own reducers on hand and might just mix a few formulas I've found on the forum to try also.

Thanks

Richard

4012 is only on the shelf until stock runs out - its discontinued.
4011 & 4013 are the current recommendations but I heard somewhere that 4011 is also likely to be discontinued.

4013 contains isopropyl so make sure you use a respirator. The Australian 4013 ships without the Isopropyl so we get the option to add our own if we choose.

PS the 4011 has a retarder in it so it won’t dry as quick at high temp

4011 & 4013 are the current recommendations but I heard somewhere that 4011 is also likely to be discontinued.

4013 contains isopropyl so make sure you use a respirator. The Australian 4013 ships without the Isopropyl so we get the option to add our own if we choose.

Thanks JackEb for the info. I have 2- 8oz bottles of 4012 so it might be a good time to maybe use it up if it is being discontinued. All the Illustrations I have recommends 4012 as the thinner. I'll give the 4013 a try since it is the new formula being made. I don't like throwing paint away when it is a little old so time to play. I've been using paper and want to get back to claybord again just for myself and family gifts of what I enjoy painting. I've been doing a lot of Black and White lately and want to see some colors again. LOL

Richard

Very few places carry new bottles of 4020 as shipping anything flammable from the US is so expensive.

giphy.gif

Haha, I like the giff.
4020 Automotive reducer is basically 4012 with acetone added to it. The recommendation for use now is to cocktail it with 4011 for painting in certain conditions.

https://createxcolors.com/additives-thinners-cleaners-more/index-list.html

This is the list of current additives from the Createx website. This is where I download the TDS to try and stay on top of the recommendations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dang, thx Siroxx. I need to check this more often, cause Createx keep changing things...

Dang, thx Siroxx. I need to check this more often, cause Createx keep changing things...
No problem Mate! Yeah, that’s what I meant by trying to stay on top of the recommendations. They do change things quite often. I have a file on my iPad where I keep all the current TDS. I think the most recent update was around April 2020 and not all of them changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've still got my 4011, not much left though now. I may have some newer stuff in some small sets I have. got a CI set, a candy2o set and a sealer set only with 3 or 4 bottles in each just to try them. I must have a look and give them a try.

Lee

Simple question: can I use 4012 reducer (discontinued) with new UVLS Clear? TDS says that 4011 and 4013 is ok, but there is no more information about 4012.

20201012_185555.jpg
I’d suggest a small trial just in case it goes south. Many have had issues with 4012 causing seeded with paint so the outcome may not be as expected
I did a test. No issues while spraying (UVLS with 4012). But after 5 days it still seems soft a bit. Is it normal?
I can peel it off with nail on polished metal (degreased)

Last edited:
View attachment 63868
I did a test. No issues while spraying (UVLS with 4012). But after 5 days it still seems soft a bit. Is it normal?
I can peel it off with nail on polished metal (degreased)
I can only think that because the metal was polished there is nothing for it to grab hold of. maybe if it had been scuffed a little it might have been hardier.

Back