createx wicked color

M

mathd

Hey ppl, got a question i really need some help there.
This is driving me REALLY crazy.
Am tryng to do fire/flame but its impossible for me.
First it seem my tone of red are never good, too dark or too pinkish but isnt too bad(i use 1red:3reducer).

This is the way am trying to do em: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnrjYYB76TM

Then the real problem...

I cannot make orange out of this wicked crap color.
Whatever i try 1 drop of red to 4 or 8 or 10 or 16 or 20 drop of yellow it always look crap and not orange. always look like the same whitish flesh tone whatever how much or how little yellow i put in or whatever reducer ratio i use, it just look the same everytime just darker or whitish.
Also seem like my orange? will not cover, its almost like the yellow thats shooting like water.
And then the ****ing yellow.. seem like my yellow will not cover the white, whatever i make the paper fully wet it seem like this darn yellow is transparent or like am shooting water. Also seem like my yellow is whitish, its not colorfull at all and also looking like excrement this color has no life.
I tryed shooting yellow unreduced, it was a bit better. I will probably try orange unreduced too.

Please give me advice, thats driving me crazy. I want to throw that airbrush equipment over the trash or break it in half... and usually am REALLY patient i never loose my calm but this fire thing, ,i took a 2 month brake and whatever i keep trying it wont work and i feel like it will never work and will never get better.

And my flame look like excrement, it look like nothing just 1/16 thick of paint.
Am sure if my dog excrement on the paper sheet it will look better.

Am lost.

Last edited by a moderator:
I may have an idea what is wrong but without know what gun your using and what needle size makes it a little difficult. If you are only getting a thin line it could be your needle size, you don't need a lot of fine detail for flame work. if you have a very fine and you have paint very thin, and high pressure your going to get thin watery lines. If you can give more info on your equipment we can have a better idea of the problem.

As mentioned in the other thread, quite beating yourself up over this fire thing. I've been trying to nail it with water based paints for a long time and it it incredibly difficult to master.

In that video, he is using candies, which are urethane based paints and much more friendly to doing true fire, but they are also more expensive and you need to take some precautions when spraying them... proper ventilation, respirator, etc...

You can not mimic his technique with water based paints like Wicked. They behave much different than the candies. Watch the Airbrush Tutor's video on his true fire and you'll get a real good idea of what it takes to get anything resembling true fire with water based paints.

I may have an idea what is wrong but without know what gun your using and what needle size makes it a little difficult. If you are only getting a thin line it could be your needle size, you don't need a lot of fine detail for flame work. if you have a very fine and you have paint very thin, and high pressure your going to get thin watery lines. If you can give more info on your equipment we can have a better idea of the problem.

Am using createx wicked primary, iwata hp-cs with .35mm nozzle and 20 psi.

As mentioned in the other thread, quite beating yourself up over this fire thing. I've been trying to nail it with water based paints for a long time and it it incredibly difficult to master.

In that video, he is using candies, which are urethane based paints and much more friendly to doing true fire, but they are also more expensive and you need to take some precautions when spraying them... proper ventilation, respirator, etc...

You can not mimic his technique with water based paints like Wicked. They behave much different than the candies. Watch the Airbrush Tutor's video on his true fire and you'll get a real good idea of what it takes to get anything resembling true fire with water based paints.

I think you are right, tomorrow will try one last time, if no progress am gonna move on to something easier.
Did not know he used candy and urethane(english is not my primary language so its hard for me to understand some video because of the language).
I know urethane is nasty, been shooting urethane clear (automotive) latelly and cannot do it without a respirator.
That make alot more sense to me now and may explain why i could not make it.
I got the idea in my head that flam was easy, you tell me its incredibly difficult to master, that make me feel better :)
dont know why i got that idea in my head, that flame/fire was easy.

I did watch the airbrush tutor true fire video, but oh my god without stencil its even harder.
I guess i could try it while using stencil, or i will try to find a how-to/tutorial with water based paint :)

With an Iwata hp-cs .3mm needle you should be able to spray about an 1 1/2" wide line. As foreveryoung said in the vid he is using candies and you can't get the exact effects with water based paints. You can still achieve very good results with water based but it take a LOT of practice.

It would probably be easier to just throw it all away Oooooor You can maybe take a deep breath and practice and experiment.. If it was easy everyone would be doing it and for me would not be any fun.. Not many can paint fire that doesnt look like dog excrement Hang in there ps the CS is a .35

Thanks for the reply guys :)
I also did some experiment for the colours, i found that i have to shoot rellow straight out the bottle. and for orange, i shoot yellow first and then shoot some red over the yellow until i have the orange i want, and it made a very good orange. I feel that if i can get the "shape" for the fire, i may be able to do something looking good with fire.
I will keep practicing something else for now, i feel that i need to create some art right now :) i just need to get creative lol.

Back