Creating a scene

R

rab3rd

No, not like yelling at the waiter because your water was too cold type scene, sheesh... Like a painting of a scene.

Having never painted a scene with an air brush, or any other media type for that matter, I find myself perplexed as to how one goes about doing such. This is, I'm certain, a fundamental question but remember, fundamentally, I am at the fundamental stage of learning the fundamentals... O_O

So there is the foreground and the background, right? Right. Which do you paint first? Or does it matter? Is there a acceptable standard practice that art schools teach, and do they teach it for a reason?

That is a great question ,I will look forward to seeing how others answer it .
I have painted a few scenes but it was hairy brush work way back in the 70's , I have thought about a couple of scenes I want to do but like you have not fully got a plan in place.

ABFerret does some killer scenes so maybe he will pop on and give some insight.
But mainly if using a reference paint what you see and not what you think. The further away it is the more blur it will have. Haze is what some call it.

I'm not artist trained so I don't know if there's a "right" way, but usually (there may be exceptions), I look at a picture in layers. The farthest point (or deepest depending on the pic) I do first, then slowly work each layer moving towards the nearest point. Each layer that gets closer to the front of the scene gets more detailed, adding to the illusion of distance. That's how I do it anyway, as I say it may not be right, but it works forme.

Bob Ross..... back to front...... Sky first which pulled double duty for the inevitable water next...... happy trees and bushes after, then random rickety cabin that somehow is usually being inhabited with a candle lit inside.
Atleast that's what I remember from when My grandma, my oldest sister, and I would learn every weekend on public broadcasting. :afro:

Edit: Forgot the Mountains that divided the Water/sky

Back