Cross-training artist seeks advice



Airbrush artists:
I'm a artist who works in pencil on Bristol Plate and I want to start airbrushing on the paper underneath my drawings to tone them with simple gradations to start. I want to use a paint that's semi-transparent, but I worry that using a water-based paint will alter the tooth of the paper too much (the pencil drawings are small and kind of fussy). My thought is to tint some kind of solution that's high in solvent the way fixatif is so it'll evaporate quickly and not distort the paper fibers. Any ideas?
Hell, Jimmy, that's a doozy. I'm gonna have to have a think about this one. I'll try and get back to ya.

Cheers, Red