crystal texture

jbuckley421

Gravity Guru
Does anyone know a simple method to achieve a crystal like texture? I'm painting a snow flake, and would like a crystal texture, similar to stippling, but with sharper edges, if that makes sense.

That stuff is extremely expensive isn't it? I've been looking for something like that without having to pay, haven't been able to find anything. Unless you could do something with plastic wrap, idk

There are some tricks to do textures like the plastic wrap, for this particular texture I haven't yet heard of a trick that gets this specific texture

Plastic wrap was going to be my fall back. Was hoping somebody might know something else. I tried sprinkling salt on the paint while it was still really wet, but it didn't really do what I wanted.

Hi @jbuckley421, here in UK a lot of traditional narrow boats had faux wood grain painted on interior parts of the cabins, the product used was 'Scumble glaze' predominently for us on oil based coatings. The substrate was coated in the base colour and left to dry, a contrasting colour was mixed with the scumble and this kept the paint 'open' for ages. once painted over the first colour a comb was used to create the wood grain effect. I know this is not crystal effect, but by using the same product and you could 'rag' on the scumble colour. so on a dry base you apply the second colour with a scrunched up rag, dabbing it on in alternating angles. This is also possible with water based paint, using a very weak second colour. Do a search for broken colour effects.
hope this helps
Iv

Sounds like a good idea. The brush made me think of a plaster texture brush. That might create a cool effect as the brush is round with large bristles. I'll try it and see how it turns out. If it looks like crystals at all

hey there j, your in the us. no, it's not very expensive. I have bought it direct from Alsa and also from a guy in Cali. The cost from "the guy" was around $20 for a smaller amount than Alsa sells. I'll try to find some info on "the guy" lol. sorry not more specific, yet. The only down side to the stuff is that it doesn't keep very long, so smaller size is nice. I'll be back

wow, from all I can find, it is expensive. Really, no more than two years ago, I bought it cheap. wouldn't have got it otherwise! Crazy.

wow, from all I can find, it is expensive. Really, no more than two years ago, I bought it cheap. wouldn't have got it otherwise! Crazy.

Thank you for your help! This will essentially just amount to practice in the end. Just doing a favor for a friend, so Im not going to spend any money on it at this point. Maybe if I had paid better attention in chemistry class, I could reproduce the Alsa product, haha. I'll keep it in mind for any future projects!

Check this out
d82bd455e047f56b3ad3743b03b54641.jpg

That's on black paper that some guy did just using Epsom salts in boiling water. Don't know how it would work on 3d surface or even on something other than paper but I'm going to find out. Time to hit the kitchen!
http://papermaniac.weebly.com/jayne/epsom-salts-background
There's the link. Will look into this more as I need the crystal effect for a bow I'm painting. Thoughts on photo? Is this what you're looking for?

Check this out
d82bd455e047f56b3ad3743b03b54641.jpg

That's on black paper that some guy did just using Epsom salts in boiling water. Don't know how it would work on 3d surface or even on something other than paper but I'm going to find out. Time to hit the kitchen!
http://papermaniac.weebly.com/jayne/epsom-salts-background
There's the link. Will look into this more as I need the crystal effect for a bow I'm painting. Thoughts on photo? Is this what you're looking for?

That would be perfect! Well within my time and financial budget too! I'll be giving it a try as soon as I'm done with my current project!

Shoot I just realized those are salt crystals... They might dissolve when painted or clear coated... Will have to experiment. Also if you want you can just use plastic wrap
b113576cf0d122229fac65e845abeb3c.jpg

I could probably get away without having to paint them. I wonder if they would have any masking properties if painted over though?

That's what I was thinking. Maybe white background then put crystals on and spray a black paint down then wash the crystals off. Off comes the black paint like a stencil. I would think there would have to be some oil/water involved somewhere so the paint doesn't mix with the salt...

Just talked to alsacorp and and that's what their crystals do. They're used as a mask and you wash all the crystal material off very lightly as to not wash you top color coat off

sorry guys, work has been time and energy consuming the last couple days. I thought you understood the "temporary mask" nature of the beast here. Yes, you got it now. Basecoat, apply the "fx", light coats of another color, then wash the fx off. You really need to use light coats on the top pass, otherwise it has a tendency to "lock in" the fx, making removal a pain.
I haven't checked the link, but that epsom salt photo looks the same as the Alsa. With the Alsa crystal fx you can get different results by using differing degrees of scuffing before applying it. You also get differing results from air drying vs force drying.

Yeah I hadn't looked into that far didn't read all the details in the fx. I didn't get very far past the price. The Epsom mix has a major problem of not staying on a 3d object. Don't know if there's a way to fix that

Back