Custom Micron CM-B?

sevastra

Needle-chuck Ninja
So, I have spent enormous amounts of hours researching and reading everything i can about which airbrush i want to buy. And I think its all made my decision harder! And now all my posts are turning into a frantic " I DON'T KNOW WHICH ONE!" basically. Feed me your knowledge!

A friend of mine uses a Custom Micron CM-B. I used it today for a little bit at his place. I really liked the effects i could get with that one, and how precise the detail could be, on the down side, its pretty damn pricey. Also, he said he has to constantly send for parts, but I'm pretty sure he takes the nozzle off and ends up breaking the needle by getting in really close.

My question is, does anyone have any recommendations, ( I know its has a lot of the control and technical aspects of the user) but, to how that airbrush works and feels to another one?

While I would consider donating an organ to raise the cash for one of those puppies, it's way out of my price range. I always recommend my fav brush which is the Iwata HP-CS. An great all rounder that never the less, can produce amazing detail. Parts aren't cheap, but not horrendous compared to some others, and on the plus side, are pretty hard wearing so you won't need to replace them often, unless you use the AB as a javelin Lol! I never paint with the head cap on, and the needle holds up to the occaisional little bump. I like the weight of it, and the trigger, but that's just down to personal preference. The Krome is very popular right now and I'm sure someone will chip in about that. If you have the option of going to a shop where you can physically hold a few different brushes, it may help you make up your mind. I don't like siphon fed, or side bucket brushes, for example as I just don't fell comfy holding them. Do you think your friend would notice if his micron accidently went to a new home Lol!!! I've never had the chance to try one so am pretty jealous right now. If you are thinking of being able to do photo realism, and like the cs, then it may be worth shelling out the extra cash if you have it.

While I would consider donating an organ to raise the cash for one of those puppies, it's way out of my price range. I always recommend my fav brush which is the Iwata HP-CS. An great all rounder that never the less, can produce amazing detail. Parts aren't cheap, but not horrendous compared to some others, and on the plus side, are pretty hard wearing so you won't need to replace them often, unless you use the AB as a javelin Lol! I never paint with the head cap on, and the needle holds up to the occaisional little bump. I like the weight of it, and the trigger, but that's just down to personal preference. The Krome is very popular right now and I'm sure someone will chip in about that. If you have the option of going to a shop where you can physically hold a few different brushes, it may help you make up your mind. I don't like siphon fed, or side bucket brushes, for example as I just don't fell comfy holding them. Do you think your friend would notice if his micron accidently went to a new home Lol!!! I've never had the chance to try one so am pretty jealous right now. If you are thinking of being able to do photo realism, and like the cs, then it may be worth shelling out the extra cash if you have it.

Thank you for your input :)
That's what i want to do photo realism with airbrushing. That's my main style in pencil/pen and graffiti. haha, yea i thought about swiping it! its super pricey. I think i will just have to go somewhere and hold other others. I'm going to looking into that HP-CS I have used the HP-CH, and liked that one as well.

You friend is too tough on guns. If you treat them with respect, it will last you many years without having to buy any spares.

If you liked the CM-B then you will love the CM-SB. With a removable cup you can get more cups and switch between colours without having to clean the gun first. You will save a ton of paint.

Well I know some guys are working wonders with the Krome, is cheap compared to other AB's an so are the parts, but from what I've read can damage fairly easily. The h&s infinity might be another option to think about and you can get one that comes with two sizes of needles, nozzles and cups and seems like good value compared to a micron. The HP-CH has a larger cup than the CS, and the CS doesn't have the mac valve, but the CS is also around £65 cheaper.

Well I know some guys are working wonders with the Krome, is cheap compared to other AB's an so are the parts, but from what I've read can damage fairly easily. The h&s infinity might be another option to think about and you can get one that comes with two sizes of needles, nozzles and cups and seems like good value compared to a micron. The HP-CH has a larger cup than the CS, and the CS doesn't have the mac valve, but the CS is also around £65 cheaper.

The Krome is a good option, it was my favorite airbrush until I got my Infinity. I almost bought a micron, but I got the Infinity 2 in 1 and am very happy with it.
I can get some fine detail even with the .4 needle/nozzle. The detail with the .15 is ridiculous, its a great value in my opinion.

I prefer the CM-SB to the CM-B, but juuuuust barely. That preference just comes down to whether you prefer side or gravity feed. Either way, you're simply not going to get a better airbrush made today. Some Olympos fanatics (myself included) prefer the Olympos MP-series microns to the Iwata microns, but they have some drawbacks, as well. For one, you have to import them from Japan, and they'll set you back about $600. Also, Olympos is now officially out of business, so genuine Olympos parts are getting more and more scarce. Great if you can find them, though.

Whatever your friend is doing to his poor CM-B, beg him to stop. Whatever the hell he's doing, he's doing it wrong. I have two CM-SB's and one Olympos MP-200C. I've yet to replace a single nozzle, needle, head unit, or any other part. I treat all my airbrushes carefully, but they certainly aren't pampered by any stretch of the imagination.

If you want the "ultimate" micron, you can get an Eddy Wouters "enhanced" version through Dru Blair at airbrushworkshops.com (click on "supplies"), or you can wait for Eddy to roll out his long-awaited "super-micron".

I also have an Infinity, and while it's a good airbrush, and a decent value, it's no micron. If you add up the cost of the nozzles and needles I've had to replace on my Infinity, it probably would come out to the same cost as a micron. The Infinity's performance is certainly good, but, again, it's no micron.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back