dagr?

T

tau

Anyone use one of these for 'fine art' ? I want to do portrait work, but also am somewhat drawn to the candied look of the fancier paints....I've a paasche talon which I'm just getting used to, but want to have a couple of options. Things on my potential list

badger krome
devilblis dagr
iwata ... something :)

I'm open to options, but would like opinions ;) I'm pretty much a newbie to AB'ing...and have a little more money than sense....

I'm interested in hearing about the Dagr myself, I almost bought one a few months ago when I picked up airbrushing again.

I have an Iwata Hi-Line CH and a Krome, both are great, but overall, with the two needle setups and price, the Krome is the better value, but you will want to eventually get a PAC valve if you get the Krome.

I'm interested in hearing about the Dagr myself, I almost bought one a few months ago when I picked up airbrushing again.

I have an Iwata Hi-Line CH and a Krome, both are great, but overall, with the two needle setups and price, the Krome is the better value, but you will want to eventually get a PAC valve if you get the Krome.

PAC valve ?

btw, shooting the createx primaries currently, with a set of wicked that I've not opened up yet. The createx seems....thick :) I've been reducing with plain water, which seems to be ok, though lots of spidery blowout action, so maybe not. Comp is at ~20PSI or so.

PAC valve ?

btw, shooting the createx primaries currently, with a set of wicked that I've not opened up yet. The createx seems....thick :) I've been reducing with plain water, which seems to be ok, though lots of spidery blowout action, so maybe not. Comp is at ~20PSI or so.

A PAC valve is a quick release with a thumb screw pressure regulator built in.

As for your spidering you could try further reducing your air pressure (12 - 15psi) until it is more controlable. I had a similar problem with my H&S infinity ... now i run it at 12 psi.

Andy

Thanks Andy. I'll hopefully have time to paint this weekend. I'm going to have lots of questions about Auto Air, once I get paid again I plan on buying some to play with...

PAC valve ?

Once you get better at regulating paint thinning and PSI combo, you'll be good to go. I use a home brew thinner for createx and spectra, it was mentioned a few times on the forum.

75% Distilled Water
25% Denatured Alcohol
1 Drop of Glycerin per ounce of total liquid.

more money than sense.... hhhmmmm well i could really do with a new badger krome ;0)

if you are still reasonably new to airbrushing then i would go with the krom A: for the reasons stated above and B: its comfortable , easy to use and knocks spots off anything else in that price range.... excellent brush.....

Well depend on how big of portraits you plan on doing.
Badger Krome
Iwata Micron
both great brushes.
Being you are still new , First things first Practice practice and more practice of dots daggers and fades..
With out the basics everything else is harder to learn.
Paasche Talon is a great brush Learn to use it and you will find you may not need another brush .

i was with you until the you may not need another brush comment...you always need another brush.:rolleyes-new:

i was with you until the you may not need another brush comment...you always need another brush.:rolleyes-new:

I think they are looking for a detail brush , The talon is a detail brush. If I was going to suggest them getting another brush it would be a Eclipse CS. aka a work horse of a brush to blow in back ground color.
And I feel before one just goes on a money spending spree they should one know the brush and how to use it well. I have seen to many newbie start out get mad cause on Youtube, DVD whatever they make it look easy.
Well unless they really put the practice time in , nothing is easy.
Movies make shooting a weapon dead center every time look easy But it is not. take practice and knowing your weapon.
Drifting looks easy but that too take practice.
See where I am going here...PRACTICE.... before you spend money on another airbrush learn to use the one you have.
Now if he said he had a cheap knock off that would be a different story , But he has a good brush right now.

So now you see why I say what I say.??:D

I will agree with everything you said, they may not need another detail brush, and practice practice practice. I should clarify, you can never have to many brushes...

Ok, I have 2 Dagrs, they are good performing brushes...... BUT , they are easily messed up. You Ben the needle just by picking the paint off of it....... No matter how careful you are. The nozzles are just as brittle. You split them with ease. For the money I would go with the Krome. You can beat the performance for the cost and they are durable. I love mine and most of you know I have many brushes to choose from.

DISCLAIMER:!:!:
I am not pushing the Krome just to be pushing it, or am I getting paid to say this or sponsored by badger, I bought mine and these are my thoughts. Scouts honor :)

Josh

drifting:
shooting:
Painting:
wing suit flying:

PAH............ HOLD MY BEER!

drifting:
shooting:
Painting:
wing suit flying:

PAH............ HOLD MY BEER!

Okay I got your beer ,,,it may be empty when you get it back unless you like it recycled...:D

But we can not all be chisel steel and sex appeal ...Like the Fez- Meister

But we can not all be chisel steel and sex appeal ...Like the Fez- Meister

Speak for your self there micron:)
Besides a real man pounds the beer and tosses the empty can to his buddy and then says "watch this"....... That's just how I roll! :)

Josh

Speak for your self there micron:)
Besides a real man pounds the beer and tosses the empty can to his buddy and then says "watch this"....... That's just how I roll! :)

Josh

Nope a real man pounds his beer while he is doing it ,,,LOL
Beside we all know monkey is not chiseled Monkey is Butt :D

l had a bad experience with dagr, the first one l bought came with a cracked nozzle and machine gouges where the nozzle seats, l got it replaced but the replacement was badly made too, the nozzle wouldn't seat as the hole was too big and the cup as out of line. The customer service wasn't good at all and l was disappointed with the company. lots of people swear by them so maybe was just a bad experience for me.

Last edited:
Exactly the feedback I was looking for, thanks!

And duly noted wrt practice....

Back