Daler Rowney Acrylics

K

koyabult

Hi Guys, Im Volt, new in the forum.. been using airbrush for my model kits back home for a few years now. I recently moved to Dubai, and access to air brushes and acrylics here is quite thin to say the least.

my sparmax ab, im finally getting shipped from home. my question is, I have access to artists acrylic colors (Daler Rowney, different lines).. although I cant seem to find anything if they can be used for airbrushing. I saw post here about it, but he seems to be using a different kind of color (FW inks)

Anyone here who has experienced using D&R acrylic colors?

You may need to go to the internet for paint purchases... haven't used the DR, will be interested to hear about it. What size nozzle/needle set do you have?

Its an old brush, Mig h02, the one with the small cup.. the size of the nozzle i think is 0.2mm... I havent gone to big models yet, mostly 1/72 size so it pretty much does the job well.. :D

As far as I know the FW inks are suitable for airbrushing, but the acrylic paint pigment is too large. You will need airbrush specific paint.:)

Have to correct you there squishler. .... inks are perfect for airbrush, the liquitex brand especially and I've had no trouble spraying undiluted through 0.18 micron nozzle, however I do find i get a little tip dry, more so than with etac paint..... even tube paint can be used if you mix it with airbrush medium

You silly sausage, I said inks are ok :) I bow to you regards tube paints though, I haven't used daler rowney tubes but other kinds I tried in my early experiments did not go well, probs me doing it wrong lol.

Hi Sir Ad Fez, thank you for your reply. With the right ratio of solvent to the pigment, i'll do right by the acrylics? Before, I used acrylics that were specifically used for model toys, so basically this is my first time going the artist tubes.. pardon me for the many questions. :D

Sir Squishy.. yeah I guesss I have to go with specific types.. although the brands that I was using before, are not available in my place here in UAE (Tamiya Acrylics) or is very hard to come by.. hahaha.

Daler Rowney FW inks are great. Excellent coverage and you can get nice detail and thin it with just water. But I like to use a 10:1 ratio of water and retarder as the ink dries really fast.

For tube paints it will depend if it is ground fine enough as mentioned. Fluid acrylics thin better than heavy body. By the time heavy body is thin enough it basically just coloured water and very transparent.

I did one project with Tamiya acrylics and I can tell you it is not true acrylics. It is still solvent based and that is a pain in the ass. I now got some Revell Aquacolor and that is much better.

Thanks for your comments AndreZa! working with Tamiya models back home in the Philippines I had to go with Tamiya colors as well.. hahaha! I havent tried the revell colors, but might start doing so since toy shops here in UAE carry mostly revells..

You silly sausage, I said inks are ok :) I bow to you regards tube paints though, I haven't used daler rowney tubes but other kinds I tried in my early experiments did not go well, probs me doing it wrong lol.
Liquitex is what you need in regard to tube paints. A pea sized amount drowned in airbrush medium (liquitex also)

Back