Day one Help

J

jaystacy

i have read alot on here over last 3 days before making my first ever post. i have posted to intro section but i have a few questions..

1. how to slow tip dry on Neo for Iwata brush? using createx opaque and transparent diluted to milky concistancy.

2. best media for practicing on? i have read press board, foam board, gsm paper. im so lost i want something i dont have to prep but doesnt cost alot to start with. would like option of black or white.

3. what is cheap and easy to use that is transparent to make stencils?

thanks for help guys i did alot of reading but im tottaly confused and didnt see any specific names to help guide me..

Hi there,I`m sure the good people on here can help you, First what are you using to reduce your paint?.The best media for practice i find is a heavy weight A3 card or if you can afford it schoellers hammer(airbrush paper) is great stuff.Stencils,a lot of people use OHP foil but the old Ebay is flooded with stencils.Hope this helps a bit.

Hello mate, I've recently just started Airbrushing myself and have been learning too. To answer some of your questions

1. There is an additive i use which is called Flow aid and you only require one drop. Also make sure your Air pressure isn't too high as this will speed up tip dry. However, as many more experienced people will tell you on here and I can vouch too, ETAC EFX paints are designed to be used straight out of the bottle - no reduction required.

2. I'm using A3 acrylic paper which seems to be good. However for practicing the exercised for dots,lines, blends and daggers i just use a normal A4 sheet.

3. I have bought both OHP transparancy film and also 10 sheets of A4 Mylar 190microns. You will need an X-Acto knife and extra blades if you plan on making stencils along with a cutting mat also. I've only made one stencil and used the OHP paper which seems to be more than adequate for the task and will last for quite a few more uses.

Good luck and i hope you are enjoying it as much as i am. :D

Hi Jaystacy, tip dry, can't help... practice stuff, for learning skills just ordinary paper will be fine. Do LOTS more reading and stuff, you can spend a LOT of money on stuff you don't need. Make sure it's well attached to stop it blowing around. Tape or weights or magnets, the options are vast... :)

Go to a stationer and get some OHP transparency - that works. You don't need transparent stuff for stencils... I often use thin card or a photo printed on 80gsm paper...

When you want to do something specific that involves something like texturing start another conversation. There are lots of useful things to paint on. I use a heavy paper called bristol board. I use an acrylic material called gesso as a primer to give a good hard surface to work on. Have a good view of the airbrush tutor videos, really helpful.

Most importantly., have fun and ask questions!!

Cheers Mark

Hi, im a total newb, i have bought nearly every paint known to mankind. Without doubt the Comart and Etac EFX paints are the easiest to use with next to no tip dry, as for the paper i use printer paper for practice and Yupo/G4/foam board for something i want to keep. I bought the creatix airbrush paints but their for fabric really. Hope this helps

First off drop the standard Createx (designed for textile and a .5 nozzle set up at 60psi) and run back to hobby lobby and pick up some WICKED or see if they have Createx Illustration .
WICKED (Made by Createx ) can paint on almost any surface.
W500 is the latest reducer for Createx line.
As far as what to paint on , What is your end goal ? I started on just anything I could find laying around the garage from card stock to old sheets of 16 gauge cold rolled steel . Mainly cause I wanted to paint metal . But Micheal's craft store sells canvas in different sizes cheap 4 - 11x17 for 4 bucks
Stencil material -Look into the office supply area and get the transparent folder spacers (They are on sell right now due to school getting ready to start back up. Think I gave 50 cents for 20 of them at Target LOL.

Well old Herb Aka Mr Micron has you covered. Change the paint
Practice at first on white paper.. not black why? Because white is the hardest paint color to work with. Tip dry is unavoidable with it. Since he mentioned Hobby Lobby they carry wicked sets that come with reducer with the 40 off coupon it will be like 26 bucks.

When you do get reducer always always always put reducer in the cup first and then add paint. For wicked id suggest 5 drops of reducer and one drop of paint and start at 25 to 30 psi. You will have to adjust from there.

As for stencils, i am too lazy to make them unless i need them and more often than not just cut out copy paper for one off stuff. But i sure have a ton of stuff around i spent good money on thinking i would use it!
Long term shields i cut out of a piece of yupo paper.

Want really good cheap practice? Go buy a glass picture frame a.d mount paper behind it , if you get control to paint on glass you will be able to paint on anything. Paint scrapes right off when you are done.

Ohh hobby lobby may have com art. If your more interested on painting canvas, paper and illustrations thats what i would do. But you will have a hard time with it on very hard surfaces. You can buy the standard reducer for wicked and mix that with com art and almost no tip dry. Seriously with com art reduced with w100 i Barely have to clean my tip. Coverage is weak compared to other paints but on paper it stands right out.

Many people use bristol board. You can get pads at pretty reasonable prices.

Tip dry - def change your paint, then you just have to find your sweet spot with the air/paint reducer mix. There's no magic formula as there are to many variables, including weather, but while you can't eliminate tip dry altogether (it's the nature of the beast) you can minimise it so that it becomes negligable. More air means the paint will dry faster on the needle, so the thinner the paint, the less air you need, the thinner paint won't coat the needle so much, and less air will stop it drying quickly. If you go with Illustration or Wicked paints and use the w500 reducer, (as I do) then that helps with tip dry too. That, and the right paint mix will make tip dry not become an issue. I'm not an E'tac user, but I they do seem to work well, are very popular, and have their own additives too I believe.

You can make stencils out of paper. Just tape it at the top of your work, then you can flap it back out of the way, and then flap it down again if needed and it will stay in the same position.

Back