Debating on which airbrush is best for my first airbrush..

A

Alexa7x23

Hi,
I need help with buying my very first "REAL" airbrush..in the future I'm planning to get a kustom micron for all my detail work once I get a lot better..but what I'm debating is should I get the kustom version of the iwata eclipse or get the Hi-line HP-CH..or is it worth waiting and saving for the kustom version of the hi-line..??

Thankx
Alex

I'm sure you know there is a difference between the Kustom and Custom Iwatas. Kustom is with bigger cup and Custom is for the fine detail. There is nothing wrong with the normal Eclipse CS. But if you want to go better, get a normal HP. The Hi-line only has the MAC valve, which is nice, but you can get that separate.

Or go for an H&S Infinity 2-in-1. You get a high volume and detail setup in one box.

Thanks for that reply Andrea, but I also have a question along the lines of Alexa's.
I'm on a limited budget but I want a siphon gun, the one with the under slung bottle so that I can keep different colours in different bottles for quicker changes than with a gravity gun.
ANy suggestions on an affordable beginners gun please?

I started with a siphon feed airbrush and thought it was the way to go too (had about 20 bottles with paint in them) but after owning a gravity feed I'll never go back, I like the fact you can mix your colours and change them to a darker or lighter shade easily, cleaning out the cup is very easy. It depends what you want to paint too. Tee shirt guys use siphon feed airbrushes for speed, they have about six airbrushes set up with large bottles of paint its the way to make money when time is important...... hope this helps

Cheers Lou.

Thanks lou, six airbrushes is an expensive way to go :-(

Thanks andrea for the advise..maybe someone could help me out on my purchase..I'm going to buy a iwata hi-line from coast airbrush but theres an optional upgrade for a one piece trigger but I'm not really sure if that's the way to go or what's the convienience of having one???

Thankx
alex

Thanks Bud, do you use one of these ?

I just bought the gravity feed version of the same airbrush, but for what you need this model is ideal, you only need extra bottles, and not 6 machines as someone else suggested, if you want to work with 6 colours, buy 5 extra bottles, but they need to have the quick change tube on top, otherwise you'll have the last colour always in the tube.

haven't used my Neo yet, but I only here good things about it.

Thanks for that reply Andrea, but I also have a question along the lines of Alexa's.
I'm on a limited budget but I want a siphon gun, the one with the under slung bottle so that I can keep different colours in different bottles for quicker changes than with a gravity gun.
ANy suggestions on an affordable beginners gun please?

Hi there i also wanted to suggest the Neo for Iwata syphon feed as one of the best beginner airbrushes. But you also have to beware that the syphon feed usualy come with a bigger
needle noozle setup then the gravity feed too. I use the Neo gravity with the 0.35mm nozzle and i like it alot, i also heard that people like the syphon feed alot with the 0.5mm nozzle
and they say they can still get alot of fine details with it. I think if you wanna have a quick color change you also should have one bottle filled with water or the cleaner you need for
your paints you use, so you can flush it good before attaching the next color to the airbrush. And like Madbrush said, just get several bottles with the quick change tube on top.

Thanks andrea for the advise..maybe someone could help me out on my purchase..I'm going to buy a iwata hi-line from coast airbrush but theres an optional upgrade for a one piece trigger but I'm not really sure if that's the way to go or what's the convienience of having one???

Thankx
alex

Hi there i also wanted to suggest the Neo for Iwata syphon feed as one of the best beginner airbrushes. But you also have to beware that the syphon feed usualy come with a bigger
needle noozle setup then the gravity feed too. I use the Neo gravity with the 0.35mm nozzle and i like it alot, i also heard that people like the syphon feed alot with the 0.5mm nozzle
and they say they can still get alot of fine details with it. I think if you wanna have a quick color change you also should have one bottle filled with water or the cleaner you need for
your paints you use, so you can flush it good before attaching the next color to the airbrush. And like Madbrush said, just get several bottles with the quick change tube on top.

You are right about the tip size, it is indeed 0.5mm, but I've guys create amazing stuff with the clever use of masking and shields, as long as you have the quick change tubes on each bottle, there is no need to flush, it does it it'self after a couple of short blasts, if however only the bottle was changed then there is more paint still in the tube, I didn't even know this model existed till I googled it, otherwise I would have bought it too, I also plan to do shirts, and the quick change system is ideal for that.

Thanks for the advice guys, I hope you can point Alexa in the right direction too as it was his original thread.

You are right about the tip size, it is indeed 0.5mm, but I've guys create amazing stuff with the clever use of masking and shields, as long as you have the quick change tubes on each bottle, there is no need to flush, it does it it'self after a couple of short blasts, if however only the bottle was changed then there is more paint still in the tube, I didn't even know this model existed till I googled it, otherwise I would have bought it too, I also plan to do shirts, and the quick change system is ideal for that.

Ok yeah if you plan on doing shirts it might be really good for that, since most people use the paint not as much thinned down for shirts and the 0.5mm nozzle would be better then. With the water bottle was just an idea to flush it,
since i heard mostly there is also pretty much paint inside the brush to the nozzle. But your right if you flush a bit with the new paint it should also go away, but with flushing water would be a safer way of not getting a corrupted
new color and you dont waste as much of the AB colors. Keep us updated if you get one and how it goes ;)

Have a look at a Badger 150...Tuff gun that will rarely let you down, comes with multiple needles and head assembly's and Badgers warranty's and support are imo second to none...Though any "name" brand should serve ya well...I like to say at times though if you have a good art or airbrushing supply shop near you, go and hold a few before deciding, what suits some in the aspect of shape and comfort in the hand may not suit you..The gun needs to feel as its not even there and fit like a glove and with airbrushes there's lots of different "gloves" to choose from..GL in ya search :)

Would only be a guess based on some different guns I have..Some have like a little round insert (Like a pin) hinged to the bottom of the trigger which is what activates the air valve lower down in the assembly, some don't have this on the bottom of the trigger because the valves designed differently and the trigger activates the valve directly...Not sure if that's what ya reffering to but only thing I can think off besides... a one action trigger? IE Some newer guns have a different set up and look more like a spraygun (Pistol grips)..That is it doesn't have a push down and pull action like a standard airbrush on top of the gun, it has one trigger below that you pull back half way to get your air then paint is added when you pull back a touch further..Hope that helps :)

Actually contacted the manufacture and they said that "The 1 piece trigger is a taller trigger that gives you more leverage for control of the brush and helps when doing fine detail. It also limits finger fatigue"

Alex

Back