For Every Airbrush Artist!

Want to see more forum, less google ads ? Then register for free

Register

Deciding on California Air Tools compressor

Discussion in 'Compressors' started by Les Campbell, Jun 27, 2019.

1. Les Campbell

Les Campbell Guest

After years and years away, I'm thinking of getting back into airbrushing. I'm thinking of getting an Iwata HP-C for small fine art stuff. But I'm also planning on getting a mini-gun (RG-3), mostly for doing some effects on theater sets (just spots, not covering a whole). So I'm one if the one-gallon California Air Tools compressor (2010A) is going to provide enough pressure for the RG-3, or if I need to go up to the 4620.

I'll be working on smaller stuff in an apartment, so the smaller the better as far as space goes. Help?
  2. DaveG

DaveG Airbush Analyst Very Likeable!

I don't think a 1 gallon tank is going to give you enough volume to use a mini gun for very long. Now, I once painted an entire wall using an RG3 and a silent compressor with a 1 gallon tank, but that thing almost burst into flames it got so hot. I also took a lot of breaks to allow it to fill - frequently! So, it MAY be doable, but not for long.....

I have a 4610a, and would run a mini gun off of it for short sessions - maybe a helmet, or tank, stuff like that. The 4620 should do the job satisfactorily.
    Robbyrockett2, SiRoxx and doc1 like this.
  3. Robbyrockett2

Robbyrockett2 Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

I use a 1 gallon pc1010 with a really small mini gun (lph50) and shoot a bike tank easily, but i wouldnt do areas that size one right after another after another all day even if it can handle it. (bear in mind the pc1010 has a 100% duty cycle and a temperature circuit breaker)
    If i were going out to do set/scenic work I wouldnt take it, id take my 4 gal. most likely.
    Like dave id say,
    Will it run it, yes, all day for touchup, not so much if youre using it a bunch.
    BMIC6C6D72R.jpg
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    doc1 and DaveG like this.
  4. huskystafford

huskystafford Needle chucking Ninja Staff Member Admin Mod Very Likeable!

This is stupid question but cause I see, you guys are talking about compressors and I don't mind if people see me as stupid I will ask lol

If temperature is high in a room like this time of the year, does compressor get hot faster? My logic say it does, but I don't have a clue about machines.
    And if it does, does it get cooler if you hit compressor while working with this?
    [​IMG]
    Just wondering...
  5. Robbyrockett2

Robbyrockett2 Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

Yes and yes.

In fact if its over 90f or so the sencos thermal breaker will eventually trip.
    huskystafford likes this.