Deciding on California Air Tools compressor

L

Les Campbell

After years and years away, I'm thinking of getting back into airbrushing. I'm thinking of getting an Iwata HP-C for small fine art stuff. But I'm also planning on getting a mini-gun (RG-3), mostly for doing some effects on theater sets (just spots, not covering a whole). So I'm one if the one-gallon California Air Tools compressor (2010A) is going to provide enough pressure for the RG-3, or if I need to go up to the 4620.

I'll be working on smaller stuff in an apartment, so the smaller the better as far as space goes. Help?

I don't think a 1 gallon tank is going to give you enough volume to use a mini gun for very long. Now, I once painted an entire wall using an RG3 and a silent compressor with a 1 gallon tank, but that thing almost burst into flames it got so hot. I also took a lot of breaks to allow it to fill - frequently! So, it MAY be doable, but not for long.....

I have a 4610a, and would run a mini gun off of it for short sessions - maybe a helmet, or tank, stuff like that. The 4620 should do the job satisfactorily.

I use a 1 gallon pc1010 with a really small mini gun (lph50) and shoot a bike tank easily, but i wouldnt do areas that size one right after another after another all day even if it can handle it. (bear in mind the pc1010 has a 100% duty cycle and a temperature circuit breaker)
If i were going out to do set/scenic work I wouldnt take it, id take my 4 gal. most likely.
Like dave id say,
Will it run it, yes, all day for touchup, not so much if youre using it a bunch.
BMIC6C6D72R.jpg

Last edited:
This is stupid question but cause I see, you guys are talking about compressors and I don't mind if people see me as stupid I will ask lol

If temperature is high in a room like this time of the year, does compressor get hot faster? My logic say it does, but I don't have a clue about machines.
And if it does, does it get cooler if you hit compressor while working with this?
HCF0611A-BM-1.jpg

Just wondering...

Back