Deconstructing the Image - What Effects Go Where, Shapes & Enlarging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
scan0072.jpgscan0073.jpg
Hi All, while been a member for a while I have not been a regular visitor. This is great information and it adds to knowledge gained so far in a massive way. Here's my feeble attempt at the last two exercises.
Thanks Mitch for sharing your knowledge.

This one was a little tougher for me. Hope I got it.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352405042.411952.jpg

Thanks Mitch

View attachment 6238View attachment 6239
Hi All, while been a member for a while I have not been a regular visitor. This is great information and it adds to knowledge gained so far in a massive way. Here's my feeble attempt at the last two exercises.
Thanks Mitch for sharing your knowledge.

I'm impressed Chucati- very accurate for someone who's only new here. I think you could easily pull off the shapes in this image by attacking the artwork the way you've demonstrated. I'd do a couple of the heights and intensities slightly different but in saying this, if you're using a 0.3mm setup and i'm using a 0.2mm then there wouldn't be a difference.
I was looking for people to show nice, close blends to create the edges of the shapes and backfill. That's all you really need to use when creating the shapes in hair and this is exactly what you've done so nice work:)

This one was a little tougher for me. Hope I got it.

View attachment 6243

Thanks Mitch

Hi Alaska!
Again i think this is a fairly close result - the only thing i'd encourage you to do differently is exactly what i've mentioned above. The shapes in the hair are made from blends and dagger strokes - you can create dagger strokes using reverse daggers as you have done however i think it's less risky and a bit of a cleaner result to use daggers.
I'd just point out about your effect in the middle of your piece - you've used two lines on either side of the shape to 'frame' it and then you've used reverse daggers as a back fill. This shaped could be created a little faster and less risky by simply creating a blend coming from either side of the shape and there'll be little need for backfilling.
Hopefully this makes sense?

RULE: The fewer effects you have to pull off to create a shape - the more accurate a result you'll get.
This is why it's so important to study your image and plan how you're going to execute it!
Any questions?

No questions. That makes sense. I did kind of struggle with this one a bit. The hair tutorial is giving me fits too. Lol. Thanks for the critique. It is extremely helpful.

Here you go here's my attempt. I'm actually miming when doing it to check heights my wife is giving me weird looks lol.

IMG-20121110-00397.jpg

90 degrees anti clock wise. Sorry mitch

Last edited by a moderator:
Here you go here's my attempt. I'm actually miming when doing it to check heights my wife is giving me weird looks lol.

View attachment 6323

90 degrees anti clock wise. Sorry mitch

very nice and clear! glad you put one up Tufty:)
I hope you didn't copy?
Mate this is exactly how i'd build up my shapes. The only one i'd change is the one on the far right - how you have the two blends facing outwards.
I'm glad you've shown it this way because it makes sense, however it tells me that you might not be considering that you have full control over your heights? I may have said this already, but as a general rule of thumb i'll always angle my airbrush to the darkest source. If there is a dark area of hair, i'll point into it - however i'll let the softness of the edge determine my height. This way you can blend the two effects into each other.
I do believe you'd get the same result - but by blending them into each other there is no risk of streaks etc.
This is an example where it comes down to personal opinion. If you feel you'd get a more accurate result this way - then go for it! Otherwise you can build up all your shapes using the same effects, but increasing your height for softer edges:)

I didn't expect each of you to get so close with this one when there's all that hair to distract but i have to say well done!
I'll post my answers up shortly even though you know what they'll be:)

very nice and clear! glad you put one up Tufty:)
I hope you didn't copy?
Mate this is exactly how i'd build up my shapes. The only one i'd change is the one on the far right - how you have the two blends facing outwards.
I'm glad you've shown it this way because it makes sense, however it tells me that you might not be considering that you have full control over your heights? I may have said this already, but as a general rule of thumb i'll always angle my airbrush to the darkest source. If there is a dark area of hair, i'll point into it - however i'll let the softness of the edge determine my height. This way you can blend the two effects into each other.
I do believe you'd get the same result - but by blending them into each other there is no risk of streaks etc.
This is an example where it comes down to personal opinion. If you feel you'd get a more accurate result this way - then go for it! Otherwise you can build up all your shapes using the same effects, but increasing your height for softer edges:)

I didn't expect each of you to get so close with this one when there's all that hair to distract but i have to say well done!
I'll post my answers up shortly even though you know what they'll be:)

Thanks Mitch, you did mention that but I was being distracted by madbrush when you explained it. Lol.

this is definitely helping me see things differently.

Tufty

Here you go ladies and Gents - the answer to the third exermercise:

answer.jpg

You'll notice that I've built up the shapes entirely of blends angling in towards each other. I'd just like to make this clear that this wouldn't deliver the finished image - at this stage all we're trying to achieve is accurate shapes as a foundation to go on and create dimension.
However, these are the main shapes and what you should be looking for. I would always encourage people to start from the darkest parts of the artworks as this is where all areas blend out from, if you can nail the closest areas of the artwork, then things can only get easier from there!
What would finish this picture off??
We would need to add a few more effects to create the dimension in the shape, then we would go on and flood the piece with hair texture - not sharp textures, but rather building them up lightly.
There's still much to be learnt with Air-Lang and breaking down pictures, but it's important for you to be able to recognise the main shapes as a first layer, dimension as a second layer and textures as a third. Building up your artworks in this way will give you more accurate results, faster!
Good work everyone who has participated so far.. i'm very surprised at your understanding of what you're actually painting - you'd be surprised how many people just jump in without any plan of attack!

Thanks Mitch, you did mention that but I was being distracted by madbrush when you explained it. Lol.

this is definitely helping me see things differently.

Tufty

It's at times like this you find out who your friends are, and as usual the dunce always gets the blame, but ask me if I care, I'm not scared, I've been sent to the corner by bigger guys than Mitch let tell you and I'm still around to tell the tale. lol

Thanks for the guidance Mitch. Is this the last lesson for "Deconstructing...."? Just curious.

I'm impressed Chucati- very accurate for someone who's only new here. I think you could easily pull off the shapes in this image by attacking the artwork the way you've demonstrated. I'd do a couple of the heights and intensities slightly different but in saying this, if you're using a 0.3mm setup and i'm using a 0.2mm then there wouldn't be a difference.
I was looking for people to show nice, close blends to create the edges of the shapes and backfill. That's all you really need to use when creating the shapes in hair and this is exactly what you've done so nice work:)

Thanks for the feedback Mitch, It makes so much sense to have a plan of attack.

This has been really helpful guys....ive been away for a bit with work and am back in the game now.....are there gonna be anymore or have i missed the bus?

Thanks for the guidance Mitch. Is this the last lesson for "Deconstructing...."? Just curious.
Hi Alaska! sorry for the extremely late reply! yes that will be it for the 'deconstructing the image' for now - there's more to cover but i'd like to bring it to your attention that you have all gone through the basic shapes of a complete face!
When you break up artworks this way it's much easier to see exactly what's involved by getting in close and really breaking down the small areas.
This has been about the first layer - the main shapes and dimension - for me there's three main layers which make up a face, it's just a matter of identifying what is which effect and then having the control to pull it off correctly!
gotta say a big thank you to all those involved. There is more happening in the class with Kev showing off his teaching skills and letting people have a go at stencilling and lettering starting out with the chrome effect.
To move on from this class there will be a large collective artwork trial done, the logistics of this are underway however we will be starting with a trial run just to iron out any issues and to gauge how well it goes - then we can look at doing something larger, but it would certainly help if you have participated in this class as you'll at least have the knowledge to identify effects and an idea of how to re create them using your airbrush!
thanks all who participated!

Ok thanks for getting back. Really we all owe you a huge thank you. This Orange Classroom experience so far has taught me a great deal that I absolutely owe to you. So THANK YOU!!!!!!! :) I am excited about the collective work idea. I think that will be awesome as well. Well thanks again and I'm looking forward to the next lessons.

Hi all! I am a little late getting in on this. I would like to give my input. I like the name you have chosen, but, your symbols look like "glyphs" to me. Maybe air-glyphs or something like that. I'm just throwing that out there. Also, pertaining to your blends and fades, how about using ':' as used in ratios? (I.e. 1:5,over 10:1, meaning 1 to 5 cm over 100% to 10%). Just throwing that out there. You won't hurt my feelings.

Psycho

Gettin Educated

Ok TUT. I did some homework. I would like to add, I do not have the education nor the talent that you have. That being said, I tend to work with transparent paint. I have layed this out based on transparent paint. If I were using opaque paint I would do it a little different

Attachments

• hair.pdf
    74.4 KB · Views: 47
  • eye.pdf
    68.4 KB · Views: 17
  • mouth.pdf
    72.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Nose.pdf
    76.6 KB · Views: 15
im sorry didnt know there where classes going on but i am reading up everything and im loving it. one question teacher.
when we come to certain parts of an image, lets say the nose for example, at the bottom of the nose where is is rounded, while doing the round do we change the angle direction as we go? that is a bit confusing. could u please explain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back