Delay between trigger pull and paint

sriddy

Young Tutorling
When I'm barely pulling back the trigger for paint (as in attempting a fine dagger stroke for eyelashes), occasionally there is a delay before paint shoots out. To me it seems somewhat unpredictable. Sometimes the paint flow is immediate, and sometimes I can go through the motion of an entire stroke and see no paint. And sometimes the paint starts 1/2 way through the stroke, misplacing the eyelash.

Is this common? Any ideas on how to minimize this?

Here's what I'm playing with:
Comart transparent black straight out of the bottle
Badger Krome (I believe it's the ultra-fine needle. It came with 2, this is the one that was shipped in the brush)
8 psi
Shot on regular printer paper (1st eye exercise)

Thanks!
Steve

And yes, I've checked to make sure there is still paint in the cup. ;)

Tip dry sounds like your problem, Com-art is great paint but at lower PSI without more reduction it seems to build up tip dry a little faster.
So I suggest trying to reduce your paint 1 to 1 , Try that and see how it flows.

So should I reduce it with water or that water/alcohol/glycerin mix that people seem to like?

Thanks for the help!

try both.

also, it might be an idea to strain your paint as you use it. (something I know I should do too) use an old pantihose :)

So should I reduce it with water or that water/alcohol/glycerin mix that people seem to like?

Thanks for the help!

You can use straight water , or the mixture that is up to you , Right now we are trying to get rid of the tip dry.
The way the mixture works if that the water is the base carrier of your reducer mixture, the alcohol aids in the dry time and the Glycerin helps with flow.
But the slower you move the paint across the needle the longer it has to dry on the tip.
You can also try picking the tip of the needle that is exposed every few minutes to remove the dried paint.
Some use a cotton swab dipped in alcohol to softly remove the dried paint.

I had the same issue with my Krome even with my paint reduced (can't remember if it was with ETAC or Createx Illustration). I was trying to paint at about 5 PSI. I could not get a very good flow and it was very erratic when the paint did flow. I bumped my psi to about 10 and things seemed to get much better

FINALLY got to pull the airbrush out again after the hectic holidays. The reduction with the water / undrinkable booze combo seemed to work.

Thanks for the help!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

FINALLY got to pull the airbrush out again after the hectic holidays. The reduction with the water / undrinkable booze combo seemed to work.

Thanks for the help!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

LOL, "Undrinkable booze" I like that, sounds as useful as alcohol free beer.

LOL, "Undrinkable booze" I like that, sounds as useful as alcohol free beer.
As I sit here reading this....drinking a near beer...lol
Cant drink anymore and still like the taste of beer. (pause, to take a drink...lol)
Cheers

As I sit here reading this....drinking a near beer...lol
Cant drink anymore and still like the taste of beer. (pause, to take a drink...lol)
Cheers

LOL, I stopped drinking myself 2 years ago and I like the taste of beer too, but where I am the alcohol free stuff tastes like stagnant swamp water, might be different where you are, lol

LOL, I stopped drinking myself 2 years ago and I like the taste of beer too, but where I am the alcohol free stuff tastes like stagnant swamp water, might be different where you are, lol

Some people's regular beer tastes that way. They don't notice the difference between the regular urine sample and the one without alcohol. :very_drunk:

Heck all my fun is gone now, quit smoking (3 pks day) 5 yrs ago before open heart surgery, and 2 years ago had gastric bypass (lost 110 lbs) but due to that I can no longer have any carbonated beverages. :( I loved my gin and tonics lol so now if I want a drink has to be straight up or a sissy drink lol but I guess living longer is the better alternative!!

Back