Devilbiss micro SRI pro lite 0.8 propblem

J

jackbaza

Hi everyone..... hope you can help...
Ive just bought a 0.8 gun , so I can block colour bike lids and panels.
I used it today for the first time. Spraying auto air gloss black, straight out of the bottle. Psi around 50.
It splattered out and left a mottled effect .... not atamising at all.
I played around with the needle stop and the fan pattern , air on full.
The gun came with a HV5 end cap, although I could have purchased the TE5 end cap.
Is the end cap the problem ?
Anyone with knowledge of the SRI pro light..... please help :cry:

Hi Jack. Sorry to ask what might be some basic questions, but I don’t know how much experience you have with Autoair. I don’t have much myself, but I do know that a first couple of coats on a regular surface do come out pretty mottled. Createx recommend using one of their couple keyed Autobourne Sealers and then doing a couple of coats. S M Designs from Ireland have some great videos on YouTube detailing spraying AutoAir and Autobourne sealers. You might find the answer there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Jack. Sorry to ask what might be some basic questions, but I don’t know how much experience you have with Autoair. I don’t have much myself, but I do know that a first couple of coats on a regular surface do come out pretty mottled. Createx recommend using one of their couple keyed Autobourne Sealers and then doing a couple of coats. S M Designs from Ireland have some great videos on YouTube detailing spraying AutoAir and Autobourne sealers. You might find the answer there.

Thanks Siroxx .... Ive been airbrushing with auto air for over 10 years and I know that with the AB , I would get good atomisation . I bought the spray gun, to get the job done in quicker time, with the fan pattern , but something isn't quite right ! I must admit that I'm not sure about the end cap ?

Thanks Siroxx .... Ive been airbrushing with auto air for over 10 years and I know that with the AB , I would get good atomisation . I bought the spray gun, to get the job done in quicker time, with the fan pattern , but something isn't quite right ! I must admit that I'm not sure about the end cap ?
That’s cool, I didn’t want to sound condescending lol. Looks like it’s likely to be something with the gun in that case. Did you check out the SM Designs youtube page? Only suggesting because he goes into some pretty good detail about his setup with a spray gun and also gives some info on what won’t work. Although with 10 years experience, if you’re thinking it’s the gun it’s probably going to be the gun. Sorry I can’t help more.

This guy is well established with his Spray Gun reviews. You have to get past the horrible intro music first LOL. There may be something in his review of your gun that helps? I haven’t watched the video myself, but found it and hope it helps.

50 psi is way high. You should be under 30 at the inlet. Then make your fine tuning with the air valve at the bottom of the handle. Does it react at all when you adjust the air valve? Are you able to get the air to shut down?
When you have the air adjusted to all the way open at 50 psi you should just about have a blowgun going . Like you could use it to dust things off with. Is the air blowing super hard? If not you may have a restriction somewhere.

If there is no issue with that then then the only other thing i could think of would be that on hvlp spray guns, the pressure you get at the nozzle is actually far less than what you are putting in, so you may actually need to thin it. If it's adjusted correctly then what your actually dealing with is a .8 nozzle running about 10psi.

I have no idea how to thin autoair for a spraygun though.

I don't know I've sprayed duracoat with a .8 devilbiss and it's awfully thick. Sounds like you've got a restriction or a bad air adjustment valve. 50 psi wide open should be blowing that stuff all over the place and making more of foggy mess than causing spitting. Unless auto air is as thick as latex

Could your tip or spray head not be screwed in all the way? If its not seated you'll get sputtering. Didn't think about that because it seems simple.

Back